AIRFIX 1/48 Bf109F

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Geo, it seems it is the same kite. The difference can be the time of both pictures were taken . Let's notice that both in the image above and in the same shot in post #16 the yellow vertical bar in front of the yellow band isn't seen too.

According to the Luftwaffe Colours - Jagdwaffe - Vol.3 Sec.4 - War in Russia - January-October 1942 by Christer Bergström/Martin Pegg it is the same plane in both pictures. Here you are a scanned part of the book with some info on the Bf109F. I'm going to agree despite a few slight differences in their appearance. Also I would like to pay your attention to the hangars these images were taken in front of. Undoubtedly these are different. And it may indicates that these pictures were taken not only at the different time period but also at the different places.

bf109F-4 yellow4.jpg

Outstanding detective work Wojtek, but dagnabit, I just checked my decal sheet and no "Maxi". As it looks like it was added after the extra colors were laid down, I'll just weather the RLM 78 and 79 and leave the other colors "fresh". They didn't add "Maxi" until after their coffee break. :twisted:

Geo

I see... but ... as far as the Maxi decal is concerned .. take a brush of a thin ending I mean the bristle and a piece of clear decal sheet. With a pencil write the name in the scale on the decal paper. Then write the text with the brush and white paint going along the pencil letters.

Last edited:
And don't tell me it is impossible.... here my old model of Matchbox 1/72 scale P-51D Mustang. The name Helen is painted by me a decal marking. The brush I used for writting, had two ( maybe three ) bristles. The rest was removed just for a such painting.

Helen 001.jpg

Helen 002.jpg

Helen 004.jpg

George, I'm fairly sure I still have the centre section canopy from the Airfix '109F. Combine this with a windscreen and rear glazing from their recent '109E, which I also have spare, and you can have an open canopy. I might even have a spare head armour part.
Bung me an address by e-mail, and if I have got it, I'll get them off to you, hopefully this week - if my body works!

I still have a copy of "Bilanz am Seiten-leitwerk" by Ernst Obermaier and Karl Ries (we're talking grand daddies of Luftwaffe research) which is essentially a collection of photos of Luftwaffe rudders, not just to show abschuss balken, though these feature prominently as the title (difficult to translate, maybe "balance sheet or tally on tail sides") would suggest.

It would confirm that victory markings on the starboard side are very much the exception rather than the rule.........just saying :)

Cheers

Steve

Last edited:
George, if you want some different decals, let me know. I have a few after market sheets that I could send, though I know you like the "oddball" schemes. So do I actually and some day I'll be doing this baby:

Bf109F 2_JG54 Bremer Profiles.jpg

I see... but ... as ar as the Maxi decal is concerned .. take a brush of a thin ending I mean the bristle and a piece of clear decal sheet. With a pencil write the name in the scale on the decal paper. Then write the text with the brush and white paint going along the pencil letters.

Yep, I painted the dragon and Squadron badge for my Spitfire entry in G.B. 14. Make several and decide which is the best.

Thanks guys for your offers and input and if I may respond in order of appearance...

Terry, thank you for your kind offer but I decided during my last build that, if I feel the innards aren't good enough to show off, then she stays sealed up. As this pit was 96.75% finished when I restarted it, it's not worth adding extra detail,HOWEVER, I have another one in the stash, there is plenty of room in it for detailing so i will keep your offer in mind.

Andy, thank you also for your kind offer but since I have discovered the wonders PayPal, I probably have at least one to two decal sets per model,HOWEVER, things go South with decals either through application, or faulty manufacture, and if that happens, I will be putting out the call. Ever since Bill's(N4521U) very kind donation, I've sent out several decals to those in need and have received the same. That's what makes this an awesome forum.

Silence and Steve, Thank you for the info. The original context of Post#20 was that the authors mentioned in the profile of the aircraft I am modeling that the colors were RLM70/75/76 and the possibility that the lighter color was RLM79,HOWEVER, a few pages later, there is an actual photo and they say the colors are 79/and I have just noticed this02/71. I just happened to notice the lack of markings on the tail after I started the edit and as is always mentioned in this forum, a photo checkmates a profile.

Wojtek and Paul, For the love of Gawd, quit badgering me. These incessant phone calls and text messages in the middle of the night are driving me to start drinking again..I said I would do it so let it go. LOL, just kidding, it's time to show off my creativity. In millimeters, how big would you say the letters are? As Wojtek mentions, I'll practice in pencil HOWEVER, I have this film that acts like carbon copy paper and I'll trace my best result on the clear decal sheet.

Wow long post but I gotta say my thanks.

Geo

Last edited:
According to my measurement the text should be 9mm long and 4-5mm high. Here scale pictures for both variants of dimensions... print them on a paper sheet then cut out these rectangles. Then check which one fits to the area of the fuselage the best. One of them should fit corectly. If not , please let me know. I'll make them larger.

maxi_1.jpg

maxi_2.jpg

Thank you Wojtek, that looks very do-able. I shrank your image down to 19% to see if I could perhaps use the image on white decal paper and saved it. On my laptop, the image size looked correct but when I tried to post it here, this is what I got.

Untitled.jpg

I have this problem when I try to reduce or enlarge something. It looks good when I create it but it never transfers well.

Geo

EDIT: Ok, what the heck is this?

Last edited:
You don't need to reduce anything. Both pics are of the 1/48 scale and ready to print. Just download both of them and click on each of thme with the RMB and choose the print option. Unless you use the Irfanview . So open one of them with the Irfanview by clicking on a pic twice with the LMB and then hit the CTRL and P keys together. In the new open window you may be forced to set cm or mm instead of inches for correct printing. Then print it.

BTW what a graphic program do you use?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back