Airfix 1/72 Halifax B.Mk.III (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Looking great so far Pete. I also have this one in the stash along with a Sterling and Lancaster. I take then out and look at them every once i a while, but those rivets scare me off. Looks like you've done good with them.

Good stuff so far. If you're building it with the gear up, it might help to omit the gear legs, attaching the wheels in the required position before adding the doors, which might help in joining the nacelle halves - just a thought.
I've just ordered this kit for the build for Mike Harrison, so got all those rivets to look forward to - again !

Don't know if you might have been around when I posted this thread. I repaired a Halifax for a golf mate. Shows what I had to do to "save" it. As it reads, his dad built it after the war. He was the bomb aimer, the nose art was done by one of the crew, real and on the model.

I remember the rivets and panel lies. Deep enough to hide in, and you could hang a hat on the rivets. You're gonna have a cracker by the look of the start!

http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/modeling/i-am-repairing-kelly-gang-halifax-friend-27644.html

I've looked through this thread a few times thanks Bill.

A question for you all, there is no paint colour given for the engines, any ideas???

pete

Bristol Hercules engines were normally a natural grey metal, or a painted grey coating on the cylinder cooling fins, with the crank case either black or mid grey. Other details varied in colour. I've got some pics somewhere which I used for other builds - leave it with me and I'll sort them ad post them here.

Good stuff so far. If you're building it with the gear up, it might help to omit the gear legs, attaching the wheels in the required position before adding the doors, which might help in joining the nacelle halves - just a thought.
I've just ordered this kit for the build for Mike Harrison, so got all those rivets to look forward to - again !

I'm looking forward to that, as I'm sure that it'll be a riveting build....

Oh dear, Jan's been at the cooking sherry again ......
Here's the pics of the Hercules engine, and a couple of the Halifax at Elvington, hope these help.

Attachments

• Elvington 047.jpg
    Elvington 047.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 96
  • Elvington 048.jpg
    Elvington 048.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 92
  • Czech 022.jpg
    Czech 022.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 93
  • Czech 023.jpg
    Czech 023.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
Yep, I would go with what has been provided, as I was doing a repair to what had been done already. Didn't want to do a whole lot of altering what Pete's dad had done. I conferred with Peter on the props, and he was the one who made the final decision to give the disks the flick.

Some good info from all the above. I'll be doing a Lanc at some point in time and will be asking the same.

Ok, Crew ready to board and make their ill fated trip to Magdeberg...

Hali009.jpg

Dont look tooooo closely, I was a bit slap happy, but they aren't going to be to visible once the model is complete

Good stuff. remember, the bomb-aimer wouldn't be in the nose position until required - take off and landing required him to be back in the rest bay, between the main spars.

A quick update...

filghtcrew ready!....

Hali010.jpg

Fuselage halves joined, and a quick test fit shows it should fit togeather nicely

Hali011.jpg

Hali012.jpg

cheers
pete

Users who are viewing this thread

Back