Another Spitfire down ! (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Airframes

Benevolens Magister
Aug 24, 2008
Cheshire, UK
After Karl alerted me, I checked the BBC News, and a Spitfire has force-landed near Ashford, in Kent.
It appears to be a T.IX, two-seater, and is one I didn't know of, being German-based.
First report stated it made a wheels-up landing in a field, and the pilot was unhurt, and out of the aircraft, when fire crew and paramedics arrived, but that there was a lot of leaking fuel.
Update reports state the aircraft had an engine failure after take off, practicing for the Goodwood Revival show this coming weekend, and that the "left wing had been torn off".
A rather 'fuzzy' photo is shown on the BBC web-site, with the aircraft starboard side-on to the camera, in a wheat stubble field, with what appear to be 'skid mark' tracks in the stubble, from it's landing, and presumably it came to rest after slewing to the right.
The starboard wing appears to be intact - the port wing, or any wreckage or debris, are not visible.
The name of the pilot, or owner/operator have not, as yet, been published.

Looks like 'one of those years' for the airshow aviation circuit - let's hope there's no more accidents, and, although I'm sure the UK 'Press' will jump on this one and write all sorts of b*ll*cks about safety of 'old' aircraft, I hope that. so soon after the Shoreham disaster, that the CAA don't introduce yet more restrictions.

spitfire_3431561b.jpg

Geo

I read today that Spitfire flypasts over London may be difficult due to insurance problems.

Far as I know, the only ones allowed to do that are the BBMF normally. The rules for flying over central London normally prohibit flights, by civilian aircraft, below a certain altitude - I think not below 5,000 feet - and even then routes are restricted. Helicopter operations are strictly controlled in the designated low-level routes.
Those flights by privately-owned Spitfires etc, on 'special occasions', are by special dispensation, as 'one-offs'.

After Karl alerted me, I checked the BBC News, and a Spitfire has force-landed near Ashford, in Kent.
It appears to be a T.IX, two-seater, and is one I didn't know of, being German-based.
First report stated it made a wheels-up landing in a field, and the pilot was unhurt, and out of the aircraft, when fire crew and paramedics arrived, but that there was a lot of leaking fuel.
Update reports state the aircraft had an engine failure after take off, practicing for the Goodwood Revival show this coming weekend, and that the "left wing had been torn off".
A rather 'fuzzy' photo is shown on the BBC web-site, with the aircraft starboard side-on to the camera, in a wheat stubble field, with what appear to be 'skid mark' tracks in the stubble, from it's landing, and presumably it came to rest after slewing to the right.
The starboard wing appears to be intact - the port wing, or any wreckage or debris, are not visible.
The name of the pilot, or owner/operator have not, as yet, been published.

Looks like 'one of those years' for the airshow aviation circuit - let's hope there's no more accidents, and, although I'm sure the UK 'Press' will jump on this one and write all sorts of b*ll*cks about safety of 'old' aircraft, I hope that. so soon after the Shoreham disaster, that the CAA don't introduce yet more restrictions.

Wow, very different to when I sent you the text Terry !

supposedly;

Spitfire Tr.9 MJ772 (D-FMKN)
Owned by Hangar 10 and operated from Zirchow
Wears the authentic markings MJ772 / NL-R from 341 (Alsace) Sqn

Spit_1.jpg

The damage is rather worse than the original post image suggests. It certainly looks in a sorry state compared to the in flight image above!

spit-down_zpsfqwvgape.gif

This is the third time I can think of when this aircraft has made a forced landing, last time was about 2012 in Germany (?).

The pilot who escaped unscathed was Roy Davies who made that remarkable escape by parachute from the P-51 Big Beautiful Doll after a mid air collision at Duxford a few years ago. Hopefully he doesn't seem a pattern forming between flying war birds and ending up on his ar*e in English corn fields :)

The Spitfire was for sale and hopefully will be repaired to fly again

Cheers

Steve

Oh Dear !
Yes, much worse than initially thought - and possibly shock-loaded the engine, too. Darn shame, but at least Roy is OK.
Given the remarkable capabilities of such companies as 'ARC', hopefully it will eventually be re-built.
With it being a 'German' Spitfire, I was going to make some wise-crack about them claiming another Spit downed over Kent, 75 years on, but I won't.
Oops, I just have !
Roy Davies must have extremely rapid reactions. He was out of BBD after the collision (2012 ?) and under a full canopy quicker than Jan can say "It's your round" !

Roy Davies must have extremely rapid reactions. He was out of BBD after the collision (2012 ?) and under a full canopy quicker than Jan can say "It's your round" !

Just as well because he didn't have time to spare!

bbd%20dowm%202_small_zpsukhdipz9.gif

I've watched the video many times and he made a succession of correct decisions very quickly, which is why he's still here today, having pranged the Spitfire (through no fault of his own).

Cheers

Steve

Yep, I watched as well Steve. And that photo just shows how close it was, and how rapid his reactions.
Let's just look at the sequence - time from thinking of immediate actions required, to impact of aircraft, approximately 4 to 5 seconds.
Actions completed in that time - Aircraft not recoverable,abandon aircraft - reach forward and pull canopy jettison lever on starboard side of of cockpit wall, clear comms leads connections from helmet, unfasten seat harness, vacate aircraft, clear aircraft, pull 'D' ring.
Followed by prepare for landing, and controlled PLF landing - more or less coinciding with impact of aircraft !
Bl**dy incredible !

Less than 4 seconds to canopy jettison so he must have feared the worst! He was out of the aircraft in about 15 seconds as it started to seriously nose down.

I remember at the time watching the Skyraider initially as it did a sort of barrel roll and looked like it was going to dive straight in. It's pilot also did well to recover and make a relatively normal landing.

Cheers

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back