Any tips on prop nose decal?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

[SC] Arachnicus

Senior Airman
May 1, 2012
West Chester OH
Do any of you guys have a tip on how to put the white "Swirly" stripe on the prop nose of a bf109? Seems like it will be a challenge.

Gloss the spinner,fit the decal as best you can and then hit it as often as it takes with Microsol or a similar solution.
Good luck!
Steve

Not too difficult. Try to leave it partly on the paper when you remove it from the water. I'd slide the thick end onto the back of the spinner first, then slowly draw the paper away from the decal while holding the fat end of the decal down with a wet paint brush. Once off, adjust it carefully with plenty of water and a soft paint brush. It helps to have the assembly clamped in a holder so you can have both hands free bu this is not essential, just easier. Also helps to not have the prop blades in the way so if you can assemble after. This may be an advantage but I've done it with the blades on without much problem.

I have always found that I needed just the -sol the -set can be harsh though I used it on some old decals which had hardened over time and it worked well

Bf10972.jpg

Yeah it did bunch up a bit. I tried to paint the area with white and black to make it smooth. Perhaps with a couple layers of white the bunching up can be hidden more.

Tom

Ah, good effort then Tom!

Personally I wouldn't try to conceal it by building up more layers of touch-up paint - in my experience this only leads to a messy rough edging after a couple of coats. (Even recently made this mistake with some tricky wing leading and trailing edges)

Better to take it as a learning curve and leave it as is, or maybe trim one edge of the bulge with a craft knife, wet the decal, and carefully try to remove the lower layer of the 'double up' by trimming, or just smoothing it over the adjacent decal strip (if that makes sense)

Evan

What about more microset? unless the decals are covered by paint. I've had some success doing that in the past

I generally do not use it either. It seems to be a stronger version of the -sol. I put down some -sol where the decal is going and sometimes put a few drops in the decal soak water. Once the decal is 90% set I'll put another coat of -sol over the decal. They end up looking just like they've been painted on. The one occation I used -set was on a set of OLD decals that came with a F-105. I had a tough time getting them off the decal sheet even after a hot water soak, then they refused to stick to the model and just peeled off after they dried. Once I got them in place using -sol I covered them with -set 2-3 times

Users who are viewing this thread

Back