Aquarium Talk: Fish/Reptiles/Lizards/Insectivoids...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

...and thanks for all the insights. I've always wanted a tank, but have been afraid it would either be too much maintenance or $$$.

It can be as cheap or expensive as you want.

I prefer to think of an aquarium as an expensive piece of furniture/art. It's not for everybody but I really like to see the look on peoples faces when the sit down and take a look.

I agree it is the same for me. Fortunaly both me and my wife love animals and our zoo is starting to grow. Eventually we litterally will have an exotic animal and fish zoo in our house.

IMO glass is the way to go

Acrilyc
Pros:
Less weight
No seems on edges of tank, nice rounded corners (look at the photo I posted earlier. Mine is glass, you can see where the different panels are joined)
Often available in cool shapes

Cons:
Scratches easy (algae can get inside the scratches)
More expensive

Glass

Less likely to scratch. Some people can't get over the visible seems... it doesnt bother me..

NOTE: Always use flourescent lights.. The fish look better and they won't overheat the tank. I think they are less likely to promote algae growth too. If you buy a pre-made kit, you may have to ask to trade the incandescent for the flourescent. They're a little more money but worth it.

I know some people like to have a piranha or two in a tank.

"Vicious" piranhas are really wimps

Sun Jul 1, 7:17 PM ET

LONDON (Reuters) - Despite their fearsome reputation, piranhas are wimps that gather in large shoals to protect themselves from predators, scientists said on Monday.

Rather than aggressive killers, research shows piranhas are omnivorous scavengers, eating mainly fish, plants and insects, Anne Magurran of Scotland's University of St Andrews said.

"Previously it was thought piranhas shoaled as it enabled them to form a cooperative hunting group. However, we have found that it is primarily a defensive behavior," she said.

Piranhas face constant attack from predators including river dolphins, caiman -- a relative of the crocodile -- and bigger fish, such as the giant piracucu.

"Their cautious behavior is crucial to avoid being eaten," Magurran said.

Her work with the Mamiraua Institute in Brazil shows how shoal sizes increase in relation to predation risk, especially when water levels in the Amazon basin are low, giving piranhas less room to escape attack.

The research is featured at the Royal Society's summer science exhibition in London.

"Vicious" piranhas are really wimps - Yahoo! News

Users who are viewing this thread

Back