Arnhem and Oosterbeek, June 2017. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Karl and Marcel, excellent contributions to the thread, thanks very much chaps.
Karl - you're getting old ?!!
Hell's teeth man, if that bald spot of mine gets any bigger, I'll look like a bleedin' monk !
And don't you dare call me Friar Fox !

Having stood in the tranquility of the church, and driven through the peaceful streets of the beautiful town of Oosterbeek, it could be hard, for some, to even imagine the raging battles that took place here, devastating the entire area - but Karl and I certainly felt a lump in our throats as we stood and looked around.
Lest we Forget .......................

One correction Terry. The house we thought was Kate ter Horst's is not the correct one. The house was the one directly next to the church on the main road. The house we photographed was at the back of that one

With the luxury of living in the Netherlands, I was at Oosterbeek again. This time I could visit the old church and see what it looked inside, so I thought I could add these photo's to this thread again for completeness. Hope you like it rochie rochie and Airframes Airframes

Inside the old church. In September 1944, the church was much bigger than it is now. After the war it's been restored to it's old Roman-style form. During the war, it also consisted of gothic style side parts and a big choir. The inside is simple as you can see.

Towards the choir:
20180725_0022.jpg

Towards the Tower, with my family in view.
20180725_0025.jpg

Cushions to kneel on. A gift from British vetrans
20180725_0027.jpg

The font, with airborne theme. It is shaped like a parachute and was also a gift from veterans
20180725_0028.jpg

Bullet scar still visible in the old bible.
20180725_0029.jpg

The old church is really very old. It's one of the oldest churches in the NL. This pot was part of the initiation ritual back in the 9th century. It was found during the rebuild after Market Garden.
20180725_0031.jpg

Some extra pictures. First the real house that Kate lived in. Last time we wrongly assumed it was the house behind it.
20180725_0032.jpg

All the victoria crosses that were earned in the battle. Detail: some seem to have 2 VC's. One was a replica to keep the real one in prime condition. When there is no replica, it was given posthumously.
20180725_0018.jpg

Some pictures of the Ginkelse Heide near Ede, one of the landing places.
20180725_0038.jpg
20180725_0042.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back