Aust Model Expo (Melb) 2007 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

A good way I have found is to make up a goodly sized piece of heavy paper or card stock (at least 8"x6" ) for 1/72 models, and using a razor or small box cutter knife, cut scale size irregular holes in it about 3" high and the length of the wing long. I then spray through the holes onto the plane with my airbrush (a spraycan paint would also do). Practice a bit first on a piece of paper.

Thanks for the tip! I will give that a try.

I agree with Dave. Works for me. Try different size holes, distant of spray can to the hole and the hole from the model. I played around on a practice $1 model until I figured out the best and what effect I wanted.

You can also use a sponge or tissue paper waded up. Spray a glob on a piece of cardboard and dip the spong or tissue in. Play around to get different effects. Allowing it to dry alittle also gives a different effect.

This Bf 410 I used Dave's method for the tail and fuselage.

Attachments

• Bf410d.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 71
Some good suggestions Guys. Another alternative you can also try is Pastel chalks to create your mottles, cut down the bristles of some small brushes to about 1.5, 2, and 3mm length. 0 or 2/0 or 3/0 brushes and rub your chalks on some 4-600 grade sandpaper and apply it in small dabs start out light and then press in a bit harder and broader depending on how dense you want it to be and how large you want it.Rub it into MATT paint and once satisfied don't touch it! be careful applying the mottle and seal it with a.gloss coat at your earliest opportunity.
Sprayed my Me262, below, and applied pastel mottles as I didnt want to mess it up as they were to be rather small on a 1/72 model, doesn't look out of place either.
If you dont get it right first time you can rub them off and do it again.

Attachments

• Me262a_White 17_7493.JPG
    28 KB · Views: 73
Ok, back again, this time a couple of shots of my Revell Fw190A-8.

Yes! this was another example where I used the pastel chalk to create the small mottles on the tail area, this really does save a lot of time and possible heartache.

Attachments

• 1_72_MOD_Fw190A-8_6370.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 70
  • 1_72_MOD_Fw190A-8_6370a.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 71
Hallo Wayne,
The Wurger looks cool
But could I ask you a question? Where have you found the camo pattern?

Freaking beautiful. This bird deserves nothing but the best treatment. As far as the camo patterns, I think the German ground crews in the area of combat had pretty much the power of discretion all to themselves. So I see no reason that as model builders we cannot try to use the same discretion. (within reason)

I agree with you Tpikdave but looking at the pics below the excellent model I've seen that there were both a shevron and a number on sides of the fuselage.This is something a bit uncommon.Therefore I've asked Wayne where he found this.

Catch 22, Heinz is correct.

I apply the pastel chalk mottles onto the Matt paint, this is the last process, by this time all other painting and additional work is completed,once it is done I apply a clear gloss coat to seal in the paint and pastels.

Wurger the pictures were included with the decal sheet in the instructions and the camouflage and markings can be 'seen' or 'interpreted' on the pictures. Especially the interpretation of the Red/Yellow nose, this is now thought to be incorrect and the red area on the nose simply did not exist, the dark colour was thought to be red, but is most likely RLM 74 Dark Grey/Green.The general camo is standard RLM 74/75/76 with a probable replacement tail section with slightly differing camo.
The chevron and number combination can be found on a few different aircraft.

I built this A-8 a couple of years ago and liked the striking colouring of the Red/Yellow bands front and back. When I build my 1/48 or 1/32 version I will alter the ID detail to match more current thinking.
So I post the following reference detail.....credit to Cutting Edge for this current build.

Attachments

• Fw190A-8 JG301 bb.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 75
  • Fw190A-8 JG301 aa.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 74

Users who are viewing this thread