Australian Spitfire has been found in Normandy (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I wonder what the Aussies will say about the French desire to inter him in France.

Good to know he's been found. Hopefully the wreckage also will be restored to display status as found. Neil, the MkIX Spit was normally fitted with a four blade Jablo prop, of wood laminate construction.

the boy has been in france for 60some years already. let him go home.

Attachments

• salute.jpg
    salute.jpg
    1.2 KB · Views: 251
I figure the family should decide whether to bring him home, or let him stay there with his mates. Either way, he's no longer forgotten or missing. :salute:

Very good for his family.

On the "bring him home" issue..convention dictates that he be buried in France. Almost all casualties until the Vietnam War remain in CWGC sites in the country in which they fell.

That is the convention and therefore the proper respect to show.

Darryl

Are they thinking of bringing the Spitfire home to display in the Australian War Memorial? They didn't really say that much about that so I just wondered. Not sure what aircraft the Australian War Memorial has on display in Canberra as when I went there the Aircraft wing was closed for renovation and repairs so I didn't get to see it. Hoping to go there someday as well as the Royal Australian Mint...

That is the convention and therefore the proper respect to show.

I'm sorry but those two are mutually exclusive.
The proper respect is whatever the family wants to do with his remains.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back