b-17 bomb load

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Tinath64

Recruit
Mar 3, 2022
hi i am tinath64, my first name is nathan and i would like to know how many 500 lbs bombs you could fit in a b-17 bomb bay, i keep looking on internet but they all have different awnsers
pls post a reply of how much, it would be appreciated

From memory it was 12 x 500lb bombs (6,000lb).

The B-17 could carry 8 x 1,000lb (8,000lb) or 6 x 1,600lb SAP (9,600lb) on the racks for the maximum internal load.

hi i am tinath64, my first name is nathan and i would like to know how many 500 lbs bombs you could fit in a b-17 bomb bay, i keep looking on internet but they all have different awnsers
pls post a reply of how much, it would be appreciated
Hi Nathan,
Are you doing a report or building a model?

Here's the B-17 armorer's charts showing bomb load and placement.

They could carry twelve 500lb bombs internally.

b-17_bombload_chart-jpg.jpg
b-17_hardpoint_illustration-jpg.jpg

Have a look at this thread

It doesn't necessarily show all the maximum possible loads.

Here's the B-17 armorer's charts showing bomb load and placement.

They could carry twelve 500lb bombs internally.

View attachment 660097View attachment 660098
Is the caution box on the left hand side center warning on closing the bomb bay doors etc insinuating the possibility of releasing a bomb above one that is shackled(?) in place?

From my time spent ogling Sentimental Journey, I can't imagine shoehorning that many 500s, let alone a couple dozen hunnies…. God help the guys that had to kick loose a mess stuck in there AND AT 20k feet…

Hi Nathan,
Are you doing a report or building a model?

i will sometimes ask questions mostly because i want to feed my knowledge
but most of the time its for game mods and helping being accurate

Is the caution box on the left hand side center warning on closing the bomb bay doors etc insinuating the possibility of releasing a bomb above one that is shackled(?) in place?

I think so.

From my time spent ogling Sentimental Journey, I can't imagine shoehorning that many 500s, let alone a couple dozen hunnies…. God help the guys that had to kick loose a mess stuck in there AND AT 20k feet…

The ones I have been on usually have one or two bombs in place, so it doesn't give a great indication of how packed they were.

If I'm reading the chart correctly, there are 4 stations on each of the inner racks, and 2 stations on the outer racks that would take the 500lb bombs.

I don't know if those 12 racks are the only ones that could take the 500lb bomb, or whether other racks could be used when using a mixed load.

There are also 8 racks listed for the 1,600lb bomb, which would give a 12,800lb maximum internal load.

Welcome aboard Nathan. Given your interest in game mods, please note that bomb load varies with range. Typical B-17 bomb loads for longer missions would be 4,000 lb rather than the theoretical 6,000 lb indicated by 12x 500 lb bombs.

Once the bombay doors are open and the lock turned off, the full load has to be dropped.

Stopping the drop mid-way, closing the doors and setting the lock may cause the system to cycle to the next bomb station if the lock is turned off.

Each bomb station has a mechanical relay and switching the system on, then off and then on again runs the risk of the relays cycling up one station.

I think so.

The ones I have been on usually have one or two bombs in place, so it doesn't give a great indication of how packed they were.

If I'm reading the chart correctly, there are 4 stations on each of the inner racks, and 2 stations on the outer racks that would take the 500lb bombs.

I don't know if those 12 racks are the only ones that could take the 500lb bomb, or whether other racks could be used when using a mixed load.

There are also 8 racks listed for the 1,600lb bomb, which would give a 12,800lb maximum internal load.
I am in no way an expert but I believe although the other positions could carry a 500lber "weight wise " you would run into problems with the bomb coming into contact with and damaging the airframe.

IIRC, didn't the B-25 receive a conversion greatly enhancing it's ability to carry the smaller ordnance? I wonder if anything similar was trialed on B-17s? I'm sure the upgrade took place when they were taking on Japanese airfields with parabombs en masse.

Excellent, I am 💯 behind accuracy in games and any other depictions of the old warplanes, they and the accomplishments of the pilots flying them were incredible enough that exaggerations are not needed.

From experience, I will tell you to never hesitate to ask, there is always some old hand hanging out that I'd he doesn't have firsthand experience can at least point you in the right direction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back