B21 Bomber

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I think they just skipped to 21 as a tie in with the 21st century.
Turns out that is correct. Two industry sources--who are Designation Purists--confirmed it. Never mind what The Rules say, let alone history or logic!

Case in point:

The "mysterious" skip from F-24 to F-35 was due to the suit who ran the Joint Strike Fighter press conference, announcing the L-M selection. He was unprepared for the basic question: what's the designation of THE most expensive military/defense/whatever contract ever? A sideliner said "Ask Joe/Bil/whatever--he knows!" Joe-Bill-whatever (a marine, as I recall) said, Well, the prototype was the X-35 so...."

Subsequently L-M released an announcement insisting "The F-35 designation was not a mistake."

Yeahright...and I won't go into my patented Rant about the entire JSF program as a mistake!
Sheesh.

The "mysterious" skip from F-24 to F-35 was due to the suit who ran the Joint Strike Fighter press conference, announcing the L-M selection. He was unprepared for the basic question: what's the designation of THE most expensive military/defense/whatever contract ever? A sideliner said "Ask Joe/Bil/whatever--he knows!" Joe-Bill-whatever (a marine, as I recall) said, Well, the prototype was the X-35 so...."

Subsequently L-M released an announcement insisting "The F-35 designation was not a mistake."
I guess another Marine made the same statement about the X-32?? :-k

Always thought the X32 and an interesting look.
Except when you viewed it from the front!

1670296992257.png

I just watched a YT video on the B-21 by Animarchy History. The last minute of it has a "wiifu" version of Wild Blue Yonder as he lists his donors. It's great.

Turns out that is correct. Two industry sources--who are Designation Purists--confirmed it. Never mind what The Rules say, let alone history or logic!
That's good to know
The "mysterious" skip from F-24 to F-35 was due to the suit who ran the Joint Strike Fighter press conference, announcing the L-M selection.
So, the plane should have been the F-24 or F-25?

So, the plane should have been the F-24 or F-25?
No. I knew people who worked on the X-35 program and well before the contract was awarded it was understood the winner of the fly off would have their demonstrator's designation changed. I don't buy these theories about misidentification of aircraft designations as the result of a press conference flub. The only one we know for sure who screwed up the announcement of an aircraft designation was LBJ when he introduced the SR-71 which should have been "RS-71"

The gap from F-24 to F-34 could have happened for a number of reasons, some we may never know.

No. I knew people who worked on the X-35 program and well before the contract was awarded it was understood the winner of the fly off would have their demonstrator's designation changed. I don't buy these theories about misidentification of aircraft designations as the result of a press conference flub. The only one we know for sure who screwed up the announcement of an aircraft designation was LBJ when he introduced the SR-71 which should have been "RS-71"

The gap from F-24 to F-34 could have happened for a number of reasons, some we may never know.
An intelligence misdirection ploy, to fool Russia and the PRC on which programs were "paper projects" with no intention of ever flying. And which one(s) were the real thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back