B21 Bomber

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

AFAIK the B-1 will go first followed by the B-52. I think you'll see a mixed force of B-2 and B-21s for a while before the B-2 goes away. Mind you a different command structure can come in and re-prioritize the whole thing.
I think some B52's will continue to fly. They are great bomb trucks to use in conventional roles where air defenses are not an issue.

GRRR...do not do not get me started on a Designation Rant.
Aw hell...

Rant Mode ON:
The Dept of Defense has an office tasked with designating aircraft and stuff. The staff knows the "rules" but exerts almost zero influence because of
c'mon man...
you know...
the thing...

THE IGNORANCE AND POLITICS THINGS.

When McNamara redesigned military aircraft in 1962 presumably he started a New Era of linear, consistent designations that would continue in perpetuity.
Well...not hardly.

Among many many others: the "F"117 Stealth "Fighter" was completely out of sequence. Not to mention the F-35 flail. By rights it should be the F-24 (after the dead-end Northrop F-23). But...
When DoD, upon announcing the biggest military ("defense") contract ever…it neglected to assign a number to the selected joint strike fighter. When a reporter—obviously more astute than the suits and stars running the JSF program—asked What's the number…

The suit couldn't answer the question. So he lateraled to a USMC star wearer who said…um…well, it was the X-35 so I guess it's the F-35!

Truth. I had the transcript for a 2007 book.

As for the B-21, industry insiders say that B-3 isn't (XYZ) enough, and after all, it's the first bomber of the XXI century.
I could cite more absurdities but I won't.

Rant Mode to STANDBY.

Aw hell...

Rant Mode ON:
The Dept of Defense has an office tasked with designating aircraft and stuff. The staff knows the "rules" but exerts almost zero influence because of
c'mon man...
you know...
the thing...

When McNamara redesigned military aircraft in 1962 presumably he started a New Era of linear, consistent designations that would continue in perpetuity.
Well...not hardly.

Among many many others: the "F"117 Stealth "Fighter" was completely out of sequence. Not to mention the F-35 flail. By rights it should be the F-24 (after the dead-end Northrop F-23). But...
When DoD, upon announcing the biggest military ("defense") contract ever…it neglected to assign a number to the selected joint strike fighter. When a reporter—obviously more astute than the suits and stars running the JSF program—asked What's the number…

The suit couldn't answer the question. So he lateraled to a USMC star wearer who said…um…well, it was the X-35 so I guess it's the F-35!

As for the B-21, industry insiders say that B-3 isn't (XYZ) enough, and after all, it's the first bomber of the XXI century.

Rant Mode to STANDBY.
Well Barrett - I have to somewhat disagree. I knew people (many people) that worked the X-35. I was there to see the first flight. It was a known that if LM won the JSF program, the production bird would be the F-35. I'm talking 1997/ 98 time frame. Now whether this USMC star weaver gaffed on this earlier, I have no idea.

The F-117? Legend has it the USAF wanted to make sure it was designated as a fighter rather than an attack or strike aircraft (something that might chase egotistical fighter jocks away from the program). A mistake on the draft -1 made it to some meeting and someone picked up on the F-117 designation. The rest is history.

I wasn't there for the first flight but I did see the first 2 built!

AFAIK the B-1 will go first followed by the B-52. I think you'll see a mixed force of B-2 and B-21s for a while before the B-2 goes away. Mind you a different command structure can come in and re-prioritize the whole thing.
According to The War Zone, the B-21 will replace both the B-1 and B-2 and serve alongside the B-52.
Regardless, the B-21 Raider is set to become a key component of America's strategic bomber force, alongside re-engined and otherwise upgraded B-52 bombers, for decades to come, providing both nuclear deterrent and conventional strike capabilities. Air Force officials have made clear in the past that they see the Raider as being particularly essential to ensuring America's deterrent capabilities in the face of China's growing strategic arsenal. It is also a centerpiece of America's conventional weapons strategy in countering China militarily over great distances in an anti-access/area-denial combat environment like what could be experienced in a future war in the Pacific.

The Air Force expects to ultimately replace all of its existing B-2 Spirit stealth bombers, as well as its swing-wing B-1s, with B-21s in the coming years. The service hopes to begin receiving operational Raiders in the mid-2020s, with the first squadron of these bombers to be based at Ellsworth Air Force Base in South Dakota. Additional units will follow at Whiteman Air Force Base in Missouri and Dyess Air Force Base in Texas.
This Is The B-21 Raider Stealth Bomber (Updated)

Aw hell...

Rant Mode ON:
c'mon man...
you know...
the thing...

Well...not hardly.

Rant Mode to STANDBY.
Rant on !

I won't hold my breath. It's going to come down to who is at the helm when the first B-21s start rolling out
It will be interesting to see what happens. In other news, pundits down here are advocating for the RAAF to purchase the B-21, a move I support to counter China's sphere of influence. A deal that might be possible now that AUKUS exists?
US hints it will sell B-21 to Australia with RAAF invite
Buy 12 stealth bombers at $28b to counter China: ASPI
Renewed speculation Australia could purchase nuclear-capable stealth bombers after Air Force chief's US visit

The F-117? Legend has it the USAF wanted to make sure it was designated as a fighter rather than an attack or strike aircraft (something that might chase egotistical fighter jocks away from the program). A mistake on the draft -1 made it to some meeting and someone picked up on the F-117 designation. The rest is history.

Northrop had already built the YF-17 by 1976, no?

Northrop_YF-17.jpg

Among many many others: the "F"117 Stealth "Fighter" was completely out of sequence.
I wouldn't be surprise that would be for the purposes of deception. After all a bomber or attack plane would follow a specific sequence and this would be out in the middle of nowhere.

While I wouldn't be surprised if FLYBOYJ FLYBOYJ was right on this one, I see no need for this matter here since the planes weren't black projects: They should have just went with F-24 or F-25 or something.

I wouldn't be surprise that would be for the purposes of deception. After all a bomber or attack plane would follow a specific sequence and this would be out in the middle of nowhere.
No one knows for sure, for the F-117 it was all here say and folklore. Wen i was on the program, it was known as "the article."
While I wouldn't be surprised if FLYBOYJ FLYBOYJ was right on this one, I see no need for this matter here since the planes weren't black projects: They should have just went with F-24 or F-25 or something.
At that time a model company put out a model of the "F-19" which everyone thought is what the real stealth fighter was supposed to look like. This may have played in the decision. Personally I could care less if they skipped numbers (or used them on black programs).

testors.png

No one knows for sure, for the F-117 it was all here say and folklore. Wen i was on the program, it was known as "the article."

At that time a model company put out a model of the "F-19" which everyone thought is what the real stealth fighter was supposed to look like. This may have played in the decision. Personally I could care less if they skipped numbers (or used them on black programs).

View attachment 698595
A rose is a rose.

View attachment 698595

I had that model when I was a kid! :D

View attachment 698595
Untitled.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back