B25D Mitchell

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Airframes

Benevolens Magister
Aug 24, 2008
Cheshire, UK
A couple of months back, someone was asking for pictures of B25 Mitchells. Since then, I have been searching all of my 'safe places', trying to locate a series of pics I took back in 1988 for a magazine article. Of course, I eventually found them filed with all my other Mitchell information, where they should be, in a file draw!
So here they are.
This is a B25D Mitchell, shortly after it arrived at The Fighter Collection, Duxford, UK, circa March 1988 IIRC, and I was allowed, by prior arrangement, to crawl all over it for an hour or so!
The aircraft was one of a batch destined for the R.A.F. during WW2, and served with the the R.C.A.F. and R.A.F., although, at the time of my visit, some records of the aircraft's service were missing. As far as was known at the time, it did not see action, being used for training and crew conversion, and I regret I can't locate the notes regarding it's service life or serial number. However, the aircraft was eventually painted in an accurate R.A.F. colour scheme, and joined the display circuit in the UK and Europe, and has recently returned from the U.S.A.
The pictures were taken in available light, so apologies if the quality is not perfect in some. But hopefully, they will be of interest, particularly to modellers.
Pictures 6 to 11, showing the interior, may benefit from a little explanation, as will the final two shots.
Pic 6 is a view aft, through the Bombardier's compartment, showing the access tunel running under the cockpit floor. This was a very tight squeeze, and must have been a nightmare, in an emergency, when wearing full flying kit and parachute harness.
Pics 7 and 8 show the original instrument panel, with the exception of the modern radio/nav aid fit in the centre, and note the differences in colour between the Interior Green seats, and the Bronze Green of the airframe.
Pic 9 is a view looking forward, over the bomb bay, taken directly above the rear entance hatch, the yellow internal hatch cover being visible to the right of frame. The seats are a later, post-war addition.
Pic 10 taken from the same position, is looking aft, beneath the tailplane.
Pic 11 shows the couch in the extreme tail. Note that the perspex 'blister' is not yet fitted.
The final two pics show the bomb bay, looking aft. This still carried the 'bolt on' long-range fuel tank, used for the ferry flight from America. The small red rectangle, just forward of the bomb bay, is the release latch for the forward belly entrance hatch, the outline of which is visible to the left of the latch.
The final pic shows the rear entrance hatch, with its telescopic ladder, looking forward.
I hope these are of interest/use, and please feel free to use them, but a credit to 'Airframes Studio' would be appreciated.
Terry.

Attachments

• Mitchell.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 171
  • Mitchell 001.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 148
  • Mitchell 002.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 148
  • Mitchell 003.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 144
  • Mitchell 004.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 134
  • Mitchell 005.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 149
  • Mitchell 021.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 145
  • Mitchell 007.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 147
  • Mitchell 008.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 142
  • Mitchell 009.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 146
  • Mitchell 010.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 142
  • Mitchell 011.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 145
  • Mitchell 012.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 134
  • Mitchell 013.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 131
  • Mitchell 015.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 144
  • Mitchell 014.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 142
  • Mitchell 016.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 139
  • Mitchell 017.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 138
  • Mitchell 018.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 140
  • Mitchell 019.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 140
  • Mitchell 020.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 138
No probs guys, thanks. I'm still trying to find the ones of the two Lancasters, five different Spits, two Hurricanes, Storch, C47, Ju52/3M, Harvard, Mosquito, Mustang, Thunderbolt and Corsair! They're the ones I can remember, there are more, and they're nearly all on transparancies, so it's gong to cost the equivalent of three nights out with Lucky to have them printed or converted to disc! I know they're here somewhere!

That is a great set of reference shots !.

Brings back memories of my flight in Pacific Prowler back in 2007. And dont worry about the quality of your pics either !

Users who are viewing this thread