Battle Damaged Aircraft of WW2

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

That 110 looks like a rop strike but Ihave no idea how it could have happened and then made it down in one piece

A few more changes of undies required.

SBD-pilotUSS-Essex-damaged-over-Tarawa43_zpsad6016ff.gif

OnYortn-dam-BattMidway_zps296ce26b.gif

Cors-pil-JimmyJohnson-battle-dam-Guadal43_zps1d8010f1.gif

And this one lost a propeller.

B29shed-prop_zps92cfb3df.gif

Finally a completely spurious shot of an aircraft with no damage but featuring the then Princess Elizabeth meeting some "colonials" over here doing their bit,which was a damned good job!

Princess-B17_zps85554756.gif

I coudn't put it in a women and aircraft thread as I thought I might get carted of to the tower.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited:
Here's another oil leak,caused by flak.

P-47-Lt-Edwin-King-flak-caused-oil-leak-Italy-Jan45_zpsea4a5307.gif

How did he see to land it?

I'm not sure how this ended,but with one engine already stopped,propeller feathered,and another smoking badly it doesn't look good.

B-24-damaged-after-Munich-raid_zps1bb557c8.gif

Cheers

Steve

Last edited:
An aside. I was looking at this video and what caught my eye was at 5.12. Its the inside view of a waist gun on an RAF B24. I have seen stills in the past but it looks like the waist gun is a twin mount and the sight is mounted next to the gun. This is very different to the 'normal' single gun with the gunner standing behind the gun.
This is the first video that I have seen with this mount. Does anyone have any more info about it?.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyeltf58BaU

In the one photo you see one of them about to bail out.

Attachments

• Martin B-26B-30-MA Marauder Louisiana Mud Hen.jpg
    Martin B-26B-30-MA Marauder Louisiana Mud Hen.jpg
    314.9 KB · Views: 292
  • Martin B-26B-30-MA Marauder Louisiana Mud Hen2.jpg
    Martin B-26B-30-MA Marauder Louisiana Mud Hen2.jpg
    788.5 KB · Views: 317
Lt Ellis Uollenberg

Lieutenant Ellis Uollenberg from 73-318 Squadron 1st fighter Group 7-th air army of the United States examines the prop blade his P-47d Thunderbolt after a hole is made by a 20-mm shell from a Japanese fighter.
Ellis Uollenberg killed in action July 15, 1945.
Good luck and then bad luck.

Attachments

• Lt Ellis Uollenberg.jpg
    Lt Ellis Uollenberg.jpg
    278.3 KB · Views: 335
Martin B-26B September 1943

Martin B-26B-1-MA (S/N 41-17747), with flak damage to the No. 1 engine nacelle, left wing and wheel well, in September 1943. Note the missing landing gear doors. (U.S. Air Force photo) The Martin B-26 Marauder was a World War II twin-engine medium bomber built by the Glenn L. Martin Company. First used in the Pacific Theater in early 1942, it was also used in the Mediterranean Theater and in Western Europe.

After entering service with the U.S. Army, the aircraft received the reputation of a "Widowmaker" due to the early models' high rate of accidents during takeoff and landings. The Marauder had to be flown by exact airspeeds, particularly on final approach and when one engine was out. The 150 mph (241 km/h) speed on short final was intimidating to pilots who were used to much slower speeds, and whenever they slowed down below what the manual stated, the aircraft would stall and crash.[3]

The B-26 became a safer aircraft once crews were re-trained and after aerodynamics modifications (increase of wing span and incidence, to give better take off performance, and a larger fin and rudder).[4] After aerodynamic and design changes, the aircraft distinguished itself as "the chief bombardment weapon on the Western Front" according to a United States Army Air Forces dispatch from 1946.[citation needed] The Marauder ended World War II with the lowest loss rate of any USAAF bomber.[5]

A total of 5,288 were produced between February 1941 and March 1945; 522 of these were flown by the Royal Air Force and the South African Air Force. By the time the United States Air Force was created as an independent service separate from the Army in 1947, all Martin B-26s had been retired from US service. The Douglas A-26 Invader then assumed the B-26 designation.

Attachments

• Martin B-26B September 1943.jpg
    Martin B-26B September 1943.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 377
"Rose of York" (306BG Thurleigh) went down in the N Sea coming back from Berlin, 3 Feb 1945. All the crew plus a BBC radio correspondent were lost without trace. There is a beautiful "coloured in" pic of this in "Mighty Eighth in Colour" by the late RAF.

The 'coloured in' photo mentioned is from a 'Kodachrome' original colour transparency, and shows the then Princess Elisabeth, now HM The Queen, at the naming ceremony.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back