Battle of Britain 75th in 2015

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Should be OK - I think Karl has enough time off, so it depends on my mate Mick. But I don't think there'll be a problem.

Great stuff Jeff. Really looking forward to it, and meeting you and, hopefully, some other forum members from across the 'Pond'.
I haven't finalised plans yet, but I'm hoping to get to 'Legends' in July, and maybe the May show at DX too.

BOOKED!

Leave Calgary Sept 16, Arrive Heathrow ~9:30AM Sept 17.
Holiday Inn Express Duxdord is fully booked so reserved in an old Inn in Royston 11km west of the field that can be cancelled.
Got a regular 2 day pass so will be flexible for seating.
Depart Wednesday the 23rd so kept 2 or 3 days open at the back end. Might go over to Salisbury Hall and/or Hendon for the 22nd.

Looking forward to meeting up with you guys! Suggestions for closer or more convenient accommodations welcome.

Great stuff Andy!
At air show times, you'd be struggling to find accommodation closer to DX. Our camp site is roughly half way between DX and Royston, just off the main road, at Fowlmere, so with a bit of luck you might be able to join us one evening for a BBQ and a few beers, then get a cab back to the inn.
Also, depending on your planned schedule, maybe join us for a tour around the museums at DX on the Monday ?
Obviously, we can all arrange things nearer the time, but so far that'll be three visitors from Canada, plus me, Karl and Mick, and, at some point, Gary and Tony meeting up.
The more the merrier - just got to get that Swettish Smurf-loving Muppet to drag himself across the border !

Excellent. Definitely will be visiting you guys in your bivouac and partaking in some libations. It's definitely in my plan to stay the Monday and tour the museum with you all, though I hear the American Museum is closed for renos.

Great stuff Andy!
At air show times, you'd be struggling to find accommodation closer to DX. Our camp site is roughly half way between DX and Royston, just off the main road, at Fowlmere, so with a bit of luck you might be able to join us one evening for a BBQ and a few beers, then get a cab back to the inn.
Also, depending on your planned schedule, maybe join us for a tour around the museums at DX on the Monday ?
Obviously, we can all arrange things nearer the time, but so far that'll be three visitors from Canada, plus me, Karl and Mick, and, at some point, Gary and Tony meeting up.
The more the merrier - just got to get that Swettish Smurf-loving Muppet to drag himself across the border !

Sounds like quite the balbo building up for September. My friend I am travelling with is a Yank so we might as well call him "eagle squadron guy"

Jeff

Getting better by the day!
Didn't know the American Museum was closed off - they normally do any aircraft maintenance in there as and when they can, on site, but maybe they're doing the roof or something. I'm taking my daughter on a tour of the DX museums the week before the May air show, so I'll check it out.
No problem for me if it's closed, but it'll be a shame if our overseas visitors can't see it, as it's not just a museum, but also a memorial to all those US personnel lost, and includes the very long row of glass screens on the approach path, engraved with silhouettes of every single aircraft, and type from the US Air Forces and Navy, lost on Ops from the UK, as shown below.

Attachments

• Duxford  May 2011 191.jpg
    Duxford May 2011 191.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 46
  • Duxford  May 2011 192.jpg
    Duxford May 2011 192.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 58
I was just thinking the same thing - maybe a polo shirt, with either your national flag, or even just country name, and perhaps WW2 Aircraft.Net embroidered or printed on the front , with something to show the BoB 75th Anniversary ?
I have a friend who works for a local company who print and/or jaquard embroider T shirts, polo shirts, sports equipment etc, so I'll ask him what he can do. Shouldn't be a problem if the shirts were all one size and colour, as far as production and cost is concerned, but if it gets to needing, for example 'x' amount of small, 'y' amount of medium and so on, then we'd run into minimum order quantities and price variations.
I'll see what's available and get a rough idea of costs, but it'll probably be easier for use to all arrange our own garments locally. But if this was the case, I could maybe draw-up some art work for the group's consideration and approval, and send this to those who need it, so at least any printing or embroidery would look the same, and, if just a country name was printed, that would also make things simpler and cheaper overall - for example, maybe the forum name in a circle, enclosing 'BoB 75th', or perhaps 'BoB 1940-2015, Duxford', with the country name beneath ?

My ticket booked, can't wait for the Canadian beer and maple syrup !

Oh and a few of those airplane thingys as well I suppose :rolleyes:

Just make sure you keep them separate. The syrup is not a beer chaser!

Disregard the C-47 here, I posted it in the wrong thread.

Cheers,

Jeff

Attachments

• Dakota  N8704.jpg
    Dakota N8704.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back