Battle of Britain double build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

All in good time mate. Good luck with the new job, and looking forward to progress here when you can get into it the builds.

Well I've had a very hectic week and been quite ill too but finally all the bits and pieces needed for this build have arrived, and by an interesting twist of luck, a parcel I ordered in May from Hannants finally turned up (there's been a postal strike and I'd actually almost resigned myself to it possibly having gone missing somewhere along the way in the last eight weeks)...in it was another Tamiya Bf109E...so the 'Battle of Britain double build' has now become Alte Hase's "Battle of Britain TRIPLE build"!

I'll be doing a 603 squadron RAF Spitfire Mk I, either XT.X (X4250) or XT. Y (R6626), both identical except for the codes and serials,which I'll finalise later and for the Bf109s, both will be E-4s- I'm still undecided except for deciding that I'm not going to do Schopfel's 'Yellow 1'- so its between von Hahn's <<+, von Werra's <+-, and Galland's <-+-.

I'm planning on starting with the cockpits and wings this weekend, while the girlfriend is out horseriding and I have free time! :)

Sounds good. I saw your post re the Werke Nr for von Hahn's aircraft. The decals in the original issue of the Hasegawa (or maybe Tamiya, I can't remember that long ago!) kit include von Hahn's - I think I still have these, so will have a look and see if the Werke Nr is there.

Thanks a MILLION Airframes! If I could get von Hahn's werknummer you would be solving a question I've been trying to crack for literally two years now! It would really make my day to get that werknummer!

I agree-the fake claims by von Werra do put me off him,from my reading of his exploits he seemed like a rather unpleasant,arrogant and egocentric character-I suppose your stereotypical nazi! I like his aircraft though,and the fact there are so many clear photos is great too,for detailing they provide a wealth of information.

Well, I've found the remains of the decal sheet, but the von Hahn decals are not there - must have given them away. I don't actually know if there was a WNr included though. I've checked my references, but no luck so far, and even a very large print of some colour art work of his aircraft (the one with the cockerel's head in a circle) doesn't show a number.
Perhaps it's not known, but if it is, Wayne might be able to help?

Ahhh! I guessed it would be difficult/ impossible to find. I have a photo of the machine from September 1940 (cockerel in the circle emblem) that ends just as the tail starts, and so I can't even tell if it had the W.Nr oversprayed. In another photo of yellow 2, I./JG3, taken at the same time, there is no W.Nr, but on the aircraft next to it, there is one...its a minefield!

Hi guys,

Well it looks like my Battle of Britain build will be significantly delayed...I'm starting a new job this week (that's a good thing) but the schedule is really intense with 3am or 5am sign on times much of the time so I sadly see very little time in the near future for building! :(

Congratulations on the job mate!

Modelmaking (as a hobby) must unfortunately take a back seat at such times - in exactly the same boat myself right now!

Me neither - checked every source I have. Good luck in the new job, and look forward to seeing the project start when you have time.

Thanks everyone...I appreciate you looking for the Werknummer Wayne Little and Airframes...I'm pretty sure now that no photo or record exists of this machine! Oh well, such is life! he he.

Yes, I'm very pleased to be back with my old company,its freelance for now but its been 10 months since I left there and five months since I last flew and that was just a short stint flying military transports for a little african country as their own crew were converting to type...not ideal! So some stability is nice! Did the sim check today and despite some rustiness I still managed to bring us back safely with one engine on fire so that's a start!

Well I promise I'll get some photos up as soon as I start on those models!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back