BCATP Airfields Then and Now (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

No. 5 EFTS High River, Alberta.

The former airfield at High River, Alberta is just a 25 minute southbound scoot down the highway from where I live:

Google Earth 1.JPG

The airfield began life as far back as 1921 when it was home to DH.4's. In the days before the establishment of No. 5 EFTS, the airfield consisted of 3 Bessonneau Hangars, what I believe to be a hockey arena, and other buildings. It looked like this (pic from High River Town Hall):

20171014_181943.jpg

In the WW2 years (much-quoted from Wiki) RCAF Station High River was a major participant in British Commonwealth Air Training Plan aircrew training. No. 5 Elementary Flying Training School (EFTS) was established at High River on 28 June 1941 after having moved from RCAF Station Lethbridge where the winds proved to be too strong for safe flying of the small trainers. Training was provided by civilian instructors from the Calgary Aero Club. De Havilland Tiger Moths were the first aircraft used up until late 1942. They were later replaced by Fairchild Cornells and the base was doubled in size with additional barracks and a second new hangar constructed. An unprepared emergency and practice landing field, also known as a relief landing field, was located on the then dry lakebed of nearby Frank Lake to the southeast. More than 4000 pilots were trained at No. 5 EFTS. The school closed on 15 December 1944.

Below is a picture of how the base looked during the BCAPT days after 1943 when the base was expanded. As you can see, the 3 original hangars remained but the facilities were expanded with the addition of barracks, a recreation hall, and most obviously, the two larger hangars (pic also from the High River Town Hall):

20171014_181936.jpg

A model and story board of the wartime base can be seen at the Bomber Command Museum of Canada in Nanton, Alberta:

19061401.jpg

Here's an excerpt from an old map I found on line many years ago showing the operating area in and around the High River base. Someone has marked in apparent training zones for solo aerobatics, dual instruction, an "L.F. Area", and 4 "F.L.E." points, the meaning of which I don't know. Perhaps someone can provide clarity. The Station is located at top left with the emergency landing field at Frank Lake to the southeast. I have not yet looked into the two other nearby fields at Gladys and Ensign but Vulcan, at the bottom, will be the subject of a future post.

High River Flying Area.JPG

Following its closure, the base was largely dismantled and the only building remaining today is one of the two larger hangars which now serves as a manufacturing facility. Zooming in from above in Google Earth, the present day view features the only remaining hangar building and the faint hint of the former landing strips laid out in a triangle to the south, now used for agriculture.

Google Earth 2.JPG

Seen at ground level, the remaining hangar building has obviously been updated

19061406.jpg
19061407.jpg

An addition has been built along the south wall and it appears that a steel truss was installed to reinforce the roof. A small memorial featuring an RCAF flag, bronze plaque, and a story board has been erected at the entrance road to this now-private facility.

19061402.jpg

That's all I have on this location. Again, if anyone wishes to make additions, please feel free!

I have been looking for the correct place to ask this question. Considering its BCATP related, I'll try here. Feel free to redirect me though.

I am actually building the Entrance Gate of the 9th B&G School and Im having trouble with a specific RCAF sign. I attached the files, it seems painted on a board to me and I cannot find anything that looks even remotely similar except the metal plate I attached too. What model should I use? Thank you!

Attachments

• RCAF_lettering.jpg
    RCAF_lettering.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 236
  • 9thBG_gate.jpg
    9thBG_gate.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 285
  • Closeup.jpg
    Closeup.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 247
Not sure what the issue is. You seem to have good photos of the gate placards so if you want to be authentic you should be trying to duplicate what's in the picture rather than to use an official crest. The stylized RCAF acronym seems to be common so I would build from that. I have no idea what the colours will be though.

The crest above the entrance seems to be an interpretation of the below crest:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTFAga5vhtD6c4UIw2I4C_2TJQrh0M2MeWxNHRbo8LpsGH_qXbknA.jpg

Thank you for your reply. I was actually wondering if the painted sign in the picture was a sorry attempt at recreating the logo itself! It makes me feel better at making a replica myself. Here's what I have so far for the whole gate. I had to take a semi-informed guess for the colors.

Edit: dont bother with the background, its just to light the environment.

Attachments

• Entrance Gate_01.jpeg
    Entrance Gate_01.jpeg
    81.4 KB · Views: 228
Last time Highjacking your post I promise. If some people are interested I could post more about what I did and still do but I'm not sure in which category.

So, Im building in 3D the BCATP No 9 Bombing and Gunnery School that was in Mont-Joli. Québec. Its sponsored by '' Le Regroupement du Patrimoine Militaire de la Mitis'' ( pardon my french) Basically some passionate people who wants to revive the military past of the area and make it a touristic attraction. There is a lot of things already going on about that. My part is just one element of their ongoing efforts. So all this 3d modeling will in fact be used in a Virtual Reality Level. So people will be able to visit the place as it once was.

For now the place is built, eventually we hope to add more interactions with the environment and characters that tells a story, flight simulation etc. Basically relive a day in the life of a student at this school.

Here's some other renders.

Attachments

• Hangar_01.jpeg
    Hangar_01.jpeg
    127.7 KB · Views: 242
  • Canteen_02.jpeg
    Canteen_02.jpeg
    38.1 KB · Views: 226
  • GIS_02.jpeg
    GIS_02.jpeg
    49.3 KB · Views: 240
Definitely not hijacking as your input is most welcome. If there us anything left of the original school feel free to add a post about it. I like your renderings and wish you luck on the project. Sounds like a worth while undertaking and hope it's a success.

There is nothing left. The Mont-Joli Airport has been built nearby but is not even using old buildings sadly. I work from references and previous work from people like you.
On the actual location of the school is right now, a dumping ground with a few city facilities. I made a quick overlay so you can compare the terrain.

Attachments

• Mt_Joli_BCATP_location 2.jpg
    Mt_Joli_BCATP_location 2.jpg
    351.7 KB · Views: 234
  • Mt_Joli_BCATP_location.jpg
    Mt_Joli_BCATP_location.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 227
  • Mt_Joli_BCATP_location_03.jpg
    Mt_Joli_BCATP_location_03.jpg
    347.2 KB · Views: 324
Great work here Crimea_River. My mom 's home town is Claresholm. She met my Dad there in 53 , he he was a pilot in the RCAF flying Sabers and Canucks. I never knew it was a NATO training base at the time. A few notes on this program. The hangars built for it are the largest single order for lumber in Canadian history. These hangars were delivered to sites, as kits with numbered parts. I demolished a large portion of Aircraft Repair Depot #6 in Calgary. That was the hangars between Mount Royal University and Crowchild Trail and at the time was part of Atco park. I have got a desk and shelves plus a faux beam in my basement made from salvaged lumber. It is beautiful old growth red fir from Vancouver Island. I can attach a few pictures. You can see the numbers and mill stamps on the smaller piece I use for a model stand for the Harvard, I built as a small tribute to my Dad who flew into Calgary a few times over the years.

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    965.7 KB · Views: 229
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 218
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    1,000 KB · Views: 228
Another picture and caption from the Vintage Wings of Canada site:

AlbertaClaresholmB.jpg

Like all of the training schools of the BCATP, Claresholm had its share of accidents and tragedies. In the war years, there was a higher tolerance for loss of life and equipment than what would be acceptable today. One striking accident captured in this image had a happier outcome that the photo would indicate. The website of the Bomber Command Museum in nearby Nanton explains: "The school was the site of a rather spectacular accident. A Cessna Crane aircraft with two students aboard had an engine failure over the aerodrome and while trying to go around again after a single engine approach, lost altitude and dived right into barracks block 11, occupied by the Service Police. Crashing through the roof and landing on top of the bunks, it pinned down one man sleeping in the lower bunk so that he could not move. It was rather fortunate that the man in the top bunk, a few minutes before, had retired to the washroom. Needless to say, the remainder of the men were rather startled to find a Jacobs engine in bed with them, or in the close vicinity. Injuries were sustained by some seven servicemen in and by the two airmen. The remarkable thing about the accident was that there was no loss of life, and when the crash crew arrived on scene, two very scared looking pilots were extracted from the jumble of aircraft, beds, and building with hardly a scratch on them."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back