Best Aircraft in many different roles

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I have never been in a war I have never been wounded but I'm not sure if I would get in that thing to go to the medical center...
Just think of the landing...

Fast ambulances would be used in relatively secure areas so armor wasn't that crucial. Flights would not be at ultra-high altitudes so heat wouldn't be a crucial problem either. Also, the people being moved in these need serious medical attention ASAP. That being said, the choice of a quick, life-saving trip wins out over comfort. Both 165-gallon and 310-gallon tanks were modified for the purpose. The 310-gallon tanks could cramp two stretchers each.

I've seen a picture where the pods were put to a different use. A USMC camera man hitched a ride in one so he could get some footage of Corsairs making napalm runs.

and yes we are rather passionate about each of our favourite planes, the lancaster of course being the best aircraft in all different roles.............

Haven't we had this haggle before, between the Mossie vs Lightning ??...
- If we compute in the factor that the Mossie was also much cheaper to build, easier to repair and was built to either Bomber, Fighter and PR in it's basic form, and also it's firepower left the P-38 wanting, [I don't recall P-38's even carrying rockets, and if they did, it must've been late in the War, like their NF version], the Mossies did hold their own surprisingly well against more agile fighters...[y'know, win some, lose some, type of thing...] they had to combat, especially the Strike Wings, when attacked...

So naturally, I vote the Mosquito...

Also, I give credit to the Fw-190A's, they too were a special breed.....

Finally, both these aircraft were so good, they just have to build some more these days, Mossies from NZ, and Flugwerk in Germany has started the Fw-190A kitsets.......

Attachments

• raf_487__nz__sqn._chalks-up_another___hard_day_s_night__..._102.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 614
P-38s carried rockets in a number of different installations. 10, 12, and 14 rockets were tried at different points in the war. The P-38 could be loaded out with as many as 10 5in rockets and still carry two 1,600lb bombs. And the P-38 also certainly did more than hold its own in the air. For a number of different roles, the P-38 was the aircraft.

But they still didn't have the heavier firepower, whether 4x cannon, 4x mgs, nor like the Mk.XVIII....etc. etc. etc......

Attachments

• mosquito_mk.xviii_-_tse-tse_537.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 614
and was built to either Bomber, Fighter and PR in it's basic form

But doesnt the fact that the P-38 was designed purely as a fighter, yet was able to do more differing roles than the Mossie at least as well and in a lot of areas better make it the better aircraft? I think it does...

For me the most versatile aircraft is the Fw 190A.
It could everything and it could do it pretty well. And without any bombload when returning from missions it could defend itself very well. That's all I need of a multirole aircraft of that era. As far for the mossie and the lightning is concerned there is another post about these and I prefer the lightning ignoring the multirole capabilities of each aircraft.

The -190 lacked the range to have the true strategic versatility of those other aircraft.

The P-38 was designed to best the firepower of the Mossie. Design specs were drawn up for a P-38 mounting a 75mm gun and two .50cals. Others were modified (and flown) with 2 x 20mm and 4 x .50cal or 8 x .50cal all concentrated in the nose.

But doesnt the fact that the P-38 was designed purely as a fighter, yet was able to do more differing roles than the Mossie at least as well and in a lot of areas better make it the better aircraft? I think it does...

i'm interested to hear in which areas the P-38 was better the mossie, the P-38 was the better fighter and ......err... well.....

Lightning Guy can answer this one, ive had enough of telling the lanc the facts he wont admit are true...

Im creating a rather large dossier on the P-38, if the lanc reads it I think his views will be dramatically changed...

Yeah, the P-38 was a great fighter and could carry some ordinance, but it's general firepower was it's .50's and 1 x 20mm...Futhermore, it was essentially a single-seater, whereas the Mossie was always a two-seater. Therefore, 2x sets of eyes, the range of tasks performed were greater, it's main fighter variant carried 4x .303 4x 20mm, and it's ordinance-carrying ability was impressive...

Lets not forget it started-out as a high-speed UN-armed bomber, and also PR, which was pretty radical at that stage of the War...and once it took on the NF role, it continued that right through the War, and after, and in other Foreign Air Forces...
Futhermore, even the US asked for them and had some in service [also Beaufighters too], so they were quite an acceptable aircraft all round....Which is my point exactly....
To my knowledge, only the Aussies had some P-38's, [on loan] for PR work in the Pacific, no other Air Force used them....

Mosquitos were a thorn in the arse of the Germans from Day One, right-through....It's 'clobberring-power' in the Coastal Command Strike Forces, in concert with the Beaufighters was legendary....Their work with Bomber Command was exemplary, from PR, Light Night Strike Force and Pathfinders, really sewing-together Bomber Commands' overall efforts...

The PTO was the P-38's ball-park, and it really excelled there....It's abit much to ask of the Mossie, being wooden, to handle the tropic climate there, although they WERE there too, but metal aircraft had their problems there also, mostly for the groundcrews...

They were both fine aircraft, respectively, but I'll argue ad finitem for Mossies, essentially because of their uniqueness [wooden] and the timing of Service, which I believe contributed greatly to the Allied success, particuarly in the ETO.....Lucky for the Axis the Hornet entered service after the War, they would've given German jets a run for their money....

Attachments

• raf_487__nz__sqn._chalks-up_another___hard_day_s_night__..._191.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 538
The Chinese also used P-38s

The P-38 was easily the better fighter. No contest there. The P-38 was close to matching the P-38 in bombing capability, and was far better as a dive-bomber (neither task was even considered when the P-38 was being designed). It was also probably the equal of the Mossie in the PR roll. It could match range, speed, and altitue pretty evenly and carried a superior assortment of cameras. All of that was a bonus for the P-38 which was never considered for any of these roles initially.

And then there is the theatre versatility. The P-38 served in the ETO, PTO, MTO, Aleutians, CBI, flew shuttle missions into and out of Russia, and patrolled the Carribbean. The Mossie flew in the ETO and . . .

The P-38 was close to matching the P-38 in bombing capability

i'll assume you mean "the P-38 was close to matching the mosquito in bombing capability" if that's the case, i fail to see how, i fail to class it as a good bomber when it could carry 3,200lbs the distance of 450miles...........

It was also probably the equal of the Mossie in the PR roll

makes you wonder why the americans bought them for that role then when they already had P-38s doing it, the mind boggles.............

All of that was a bonus for the P-38 which was never considered for any of these roles initially.

it's equally a bonus for the mossie as it was never considdered as anything else other than a bomber during the design stages..............

Please take the time to read that lanc...

wow and i thought i showd Bias in my 5 favourite aircraft list, that's taking the piss

the ability to convert the P-38 from a fighter to a lead bombing aircraft, a little useless in the range department, but i mean, can you imagine a mosquito carrying a 5,000lb payload 1,000 miles+ then being able to fight it's way back, how ridiculous would that be............

yes, the P-38 was proberly the better dive-bomber

anyone could design a float plane version of almost any plane, the fact was it was just a idea, exactily the same thing could have been done for the mossie............

any plane could lay a smoke screen if it was so fitted, hell maybe even the mossie could..........

Torpedoes were expensive, complex, difficult to use and you needed allot of training to use them, rockets however were cheap, easy to use, and require very little training to use, an 8 rocket salvo was also thought to pack the same punch a broadside from a battleship, we use the rocket armed mossies to great effect, we had torpedo bombers to torpedo bomb, didn't see the need to convert the mossie for it.................

Users who are viewing this thread