Best light AFV of WW2

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hello Glider
interesting, while IIRC T number means that it was not standard issue equipment, it might well be used in combat. Anyway my understanding is that British and Commonwealth turretless Stuarts were field modifications. For ex. they were common in 11 ArmDiv but the Guard ArmDiv shunned to that kind of disfiguration of King's property.

Juha

Hello Glider
Anyway my understanding is that British and Commonwealth turretless Stuarts were field modifications. For ex. they were common in 11 ArmDiv but the Guard ArmDiv shunned to that kind of disfiguration of King's property.

Juha

Surely they would be property of Uncle Sam if they were Lend-Lease

Has anyone mentioned the British Universal Carrier/Bren Carrier. Not strictly an AFV but more were built than any other tracked vehicle and it seems that every photo of WWII British and Commonweralth troops has a Universal carrier in it.

Hello Fastmongrel
Good catch, but I think that the Guardsmen didn't take into account that kind legal details.

Yes, carriers were very numerous and while good towing machines for 6pdr AT guns, I'm not great fan of them, IIRC they were rather noisy for recon work, IMHO too small to be effective transport for mortar crews, IMHO German and US armoured half tracks were more useful in that role.

I like the British Scout Car Daimler AC combination for recon work with a couple AECs and some infantry in M3 h-ts as back up.

BTW, combat weight of Hetzer was 16 tons.

Juha

Last edited:
Hello Glider
interesting, while IIRC T number means that it was not standard issue equipment, it might well be used in combat. Anyway my understanding is that British and Commonwealth turretless Stuarts were field modifications. For ex. they were common in 11 ArmDiv but the Guard ArmDiv shunned to that kind of disfiguration of King's property.

Juha

You could be right I really don't know one way or another.

A few more points on carriers. Good point was that they were reliable and IIRC worked well also as MMG carriers. Also in some jobs their smallness and low height was a plus. And fully tracked vehicle had its clear advances when operating off road.

Juha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back