Best light AFV of WW2

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Russkies produced their light tanks in automobile/bus factories, and produced them like hot rolls. So when they figured out that T-70 is outclassed on the battlefield, they constructed SU-76 (76,2mm zis-3 cannon was produced in 100 000 pcs during 3 years :shock: ). Et voila, one has a design that is both usable and lends itself to be produced in 'ordinary' factories - while Germans produced similar stuff in 'proper' heavy-machinery factories.

The SU-76 chassis was a base for development of M-60 APC for ex-Yu army.

Hello Soren
IMHO automatic cannon is a bit different thing than smg. I don't know of Germans and Danes, but we Finns tended to be practical people and usually mentioned both the practical and cyclic rof when talking on automatic cannon, if only one is given it is usually the practical one. I think mainly AAA cannons. I think also British publications tended to give both.

Juha

I did :)
It was a great light AFV, used by many armies post WW2 too.

The M5 Stuart weighs 14.7 tons I believe, so just within the limit.

No'one considered the M5 stuart?

I did as well. Not a bad little tank for the early part of the war but it just didn't change enough in a positive way to cover the upgraded opposition. It was fast, but not fast enough. Armed, but not armed heavily enough and armored, but not enough to matter when you needed it. The German SK Armored cars had all the same qualities but did it better (IMHO) when it came to Recon.

The Chafee was a better call for that job but it's too heavy for this thread.

Hello Glider
IMHO the removal of turret was a British phenomenom, it suited their doctrine, a la scout car, recon by stealth not so much by force. US 37mm had less penetrating power than British 2pdr but better HE round.

Juha

On M5
not a great fan of it but M3 series wasn't bad earlier on, too high maybe. IMHO M5 didn't produce enough advance but still a decent light tank.

Juha

Hello Glider
IMHO the removal of turret was a British phenomenom, it suited their doctrine, a la scout car, recon by stealth not so much by force. US 37mm had less penetrating power than British 2pdr but better HE round.

Juha

I admit that I thought that both the USA and the UK used to remove the turret. When I have checked I will get back.

I think when it comes to APC, it's difficult to beat the LVT. The only thing the Sdkfz.251 had on it was road speed (40 km/h vs 52.5km/h).

Overall, I have to go with the Hetzer, strong gun and a small target to hit.

Armament: 75mm Antitank gun 7.92mm MG
Armour: 60mm max
Speed: 42 km/h
Range: 110 km
Crew: 4

I think when it comes to APC, it's difficult to beat the LVT. The only thing the Sdkfz.251 had on it was road speed (40 km/h vs 52.5km/h).

Overall, I have to go with the Hetzer, strong gun and a small target to hit.

Armament: 75mm Antitank gun 7.92mm MG
Armour: 60mm max
Speed: 42 km/h
Range: 110 km
Crew: 4

I took a look at the Hertzer but didn't think it made the cut due to weight. Is it under 15 tons?

Best candidates atm are IMO the Luchs Puma, but what about the British AEC ?

I don't think that you are going to get a decent tank for 15 tons so its the AEC armoured car with the 6pd if you want a shoot out.
Armour a max of 65mm and a 6pd gun should do the job.

The AEC had a 2 pdr AFAIK?

The Mk 1 had a 2pd, the Mk II a 6pd and the Mk III a 75mm. Together with 65mm of armour it was pretty potent for its size

Yeah, also one of the few (if not the only) armoured car with a powered turret. Not that it matters a lot, just a funny little fact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back