Best NFL Quarterback of all times?

Greatest QB of All Times

• Troy Aikman (Dallas Cowboys 1989-2000)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ken Anderson (Cincinnati Bengals 1971-1986)

• George Blanda (1949-1975)

• Drew Bledsoe (New England Patriots (1993-2001) Buffalo Bills (2002-2004) Dallas Cowboys (2005-2006)

• Terry Bradshaw (Pittsburg Steelers 1970-1983)

• Tom Brady (New England Patriots 2000-present)

• John Brodie (San Francisco 49ers 1957-1973)

• Randall Cunningham (1985-2001)

• John Elway (Denver Broncos 1983-1998)

• Boomer Esiason (1984-1997)

• Jim Everett Los Angeles Rams (1986-1993) New Orleans Saints (1994-1996) San Diego Chargers (1997)

• Brett Favre (Atlanta Falcons (1991) Green Bay Packers (1992-2007) New York Jets (2008-present)

• Jim Hart (St. Louis Cardinals (1966-1983) Washington Redskins (1984)

• Sonny Jurgensen (Philadelphia Eagles (1957-1963) Washington Redskins (1964-1974)

• Jim Kelly (Buffalo Bills (1986-1996)

• Peyton Manning (Indiannapolis Colts 1998-present)

• Donovan McNabb (Philadelphia Eagles 1999-present)

• Joe Namath (New York Jets (1965-1976) Los Angeles Rams (1977)

• Bart Starr (Green Bay Packers 1956-1971)

• Phil Simms (New York Giants (1979-1993)

• Fran Tarkenton (1961-1978)

• Vinny Testaverde (1987-2007)

• Joe Theismann (Washington Redskins (1974-1985)

• Y. A. Tittle 1948-1964)

• Steve Young (Tampa Bay Buccaneers (1985-1986) San Francisco 49ers (1987-1999)

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Of course it is a team sport but you can rate each Quarterback off of his individual talent. You could do this for any player (I will do so this weekend). Besides it starts up good conversation about a sport I love (when there does not seem to be very many Football fans on this forum :lol:).

Tim, I remember that game very well and saw the same thing. We couldn't beat them until Charlie Garner years later.

Some QBs had great arms, some had great speed, some were just good generals. Joe had it all and watching him was amazing.

Yeah man, when Joe was on it was a treat to watch him. Especially when we were dealing with "Head Case" Randall Cunningham. Great talent matched by an equally underdeveloped character.

Walter Payton played with only two great team. The 1985 and 86 Bears. In his 12 year career, the Bear's only won the division 4 years, and those were his last 4 years with the team.

Here is how they finished during Walters career.

Year W L T Finished
1987 11 4 0 1st
1986 14 2 0 1st
1985 15 1 0 1st
1984 10 6 0 1st
1983 8 8 0 2nd
1982 3 6 0 11th
1981 6 10 0 5th
1980 7 9 0 3rd
1979 10 6 0 2nd
1978 7 9 0 3rd
1977 9 5 0 2nd
1976 7 7 0 2nd
1975 4 10 0 3rd

If you take away the last 4 years, which were good teams plus a SuperBowl victory, those Bears only had 2 winning seasons. Those were not good teams.

IMO, Emmitt wouldn't even be in the top 5. I would put all these guys before Smith. In no order..........

Barry Sanders
Walter Payton
Jim Brown
Gale Sayers
OJ Simpson
Eric Dickerson

Now, I would put Smith in with some other very good backs like Thurman Thomas, Marshall Faulk, and Marcus Allen. I think that's some pretty good company.

Which criteria do you want to use for 'great'? Toughness, championships, number of 100 yard games, huge production in critical gamess, touchdowns, longevity? Playing for someone else but the Cowboys?

If the above criteria are used individually and collectively who do you rank above Emmitt for
a.) production
b.) dependability and longevity
c.) peak performance in critical games
d.) championships
e.) level of competition

The latter is a huge intangible but look at the size and quickness of the d lineman, linebackers and D backs in contrast to Dikerson, Simpson, Sayers and Brown eras.

If you like different criteria for Best what are they?

For running backs I look at it this way.......

1st - What was the individual able to accomplish in their career.
2nd - What kind of team did they have around them to enable the quality of their career.
3rd - What could that person do AFTER they got the ball (Speed, break tackles, run routes, block, etc)

Perfect example is Emmitt.
1st - Easy, all time most yards, thus, ranks high
2nd - All stars from end to end and the biggest O-line ever (at the time). Sure makes it easier to run when the holes are 3 yards wide. To me, this takes away from Emmitt but was a plus to Barry because of his bad O-line. That monster line Dallas had could have made any running back look great.
3rd - Emmitt could do just about everything well. So I rank him high. I don't think the company I put him in from my other post puts him in bad company.

Given "my criteria", Emmitt would rank lower than the other runners I listed. But I must say, I really don't know much about the lines and teams that Sayers and Brown played with.

For running backs I look at it this way.......

1st - What was the individual able to accomplish in their career.
2nd - What kind of team did they have around them to enable the quality of their career.
3rd - What could that person do AFTER they got the ball (Speed, break tackles, run routes, block, etc)

Perfect example is Emmitt.
1st - Easy, all time most yards, thus, ranks high
2nd - All stars from end to end and the biggest O-line ever (at the time). Sure makes it easier to run when the holes are 3 yards wide. To me, this takes away from Emmitt but was a plus to Barry because of his bad O-line. That monster line Dallas had could have made any running back look great.
3rd - Emmitt could do just about everything well. So I rank him high. I don't think the company I put him in from my other post puts him in bad company.

Given "my criteria", Emmitt would rank lower than the other runners I listed. But I must say, I really don't know much about the lines and teams that Sayers and Brown played with.

The key with the latter two is Sayers blew out a knee and had one more year for six total. Bright star that went away. Jim Brown was a man among boys relatively speaking and quit because pro football (after nine years) didn't pay like hollywood.

Barry Sanders would have probably gained more than Emmitt but quit before his time... Emmitt and Walter are the same runners, same heart. Both controlled the fourth quarter and the clock and punched in touchdowns in the red zone.

To me Emmitt is all about the Giant/Cowboy playoff game when Emmitt wouldn't sit down with a separated shoulder and ran for 160 plus 9 catches to help the Cowboys control the ball and win.

That is why I can't pick between the three on my own criteria.

Besides Herschel Walker, Emmitt is the ONLY Cowboy I've admired the last 30 - 40 years.

Especially when we were dealing with "Head Case" Randall Cunningham. Great talent matched by an equally underdeveloped character.

Boy, ain't that the truth! But I still like along with all the rest of those Eagles from the early 90s.

Definitely Joe. Even Madden, who's seen them all, the good, the bad, and the great, says Joe was probably the best QB of all time. He had grace under pressure, which saved the 9'ers more than a few times; Super Bowl XXIII comes to mind. Like you all have already said, he didn't have the greatest throwing arm, and he knew that, which is part of the reason the so-called "West Coast Offense" was created by Walsh Montana; but he played with his head, and won games he probably should've lost.

I believe that Otto Graham ought to be on the list. He played ten years, four in the AAFC and six in the NFL, led his team to either the division or league championship all ten years. His lifetime stats were: completed 1464 of 2626 passes for 23,584 yards, 174 TDs and 135 intercepts. His career passer rating is 86.6 and he also was a good runner, scoring a number of TDs and played when the QBs got hit.

I had to vote for Roger the Dodger. Steve Young is one of the greatest along with Montana of course.

Good points by both ren and Amsel.....

Otto Graham has got to be on the list. One of the all time greats. But since he's an "old timer" most haven't seen him (out of sight, out of mind).

I remember when Staubach was on the cover of Time Magazine the year (1963) he won the Heisman as a junior. I would put him in the top five or six all time best QBs.

TO

I used to see Otto Graham on TV in championship games, many against the Detroit Lions. Those were classic games and Graham was a great QB. Bobby Layne was also a very good one. You don't hear much about Layne from the NFL or coach Parker because of gambling rumors. Staubach was a great one. I was and am no admirer of the Dallas Cowboys and I can't count how many games Roger Staubach pulled out for the Cowboys. He had a very strong arm, was accurate and very elusive. I saw him play twice his senior year at Navy, once in person when Navy lost to SMU, 32-28. He had them close to our end zone, throwing for a score when the time ran out. Saw him on TV that year when Navy lost to TU in the Cotton Bowl. You could never count him or his team out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back