Bf 109G underbelly color

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

copcheck

Airman 1st Class
Mar 25, 2011
Clinton Township, MI
My eyes are about to go crossed.

I'm currently working on a Minicraft/Hasegawa 1/72 kit of a Bf 109G flown by Hauptman Carganico and am having trouble figuring out the underbelly color.

I've got most of the other colors nailed down through various cross reference charts but cannot find this one.

The kit recommends FS 34233 but MM and Humbrol do not have a cross reference.

The other colors I have are:

Upper fuselage/Wings
FS 34079 Hum 116 MM 1710

Upper fuselage patches/Wings
FS 34052 Hum 91 MM 2025

Thanks guys, I really did try to search.

Jon

Edit:

If anyone knows where I can find some pics of this plane I would appreciate it. Did he also go by the name of Horst?

Hey, Jon. Hauptmann means "Captain" in German. It's likely that Horst Carganico is the pilot of your plane.

Likely RLM 76 which can be the following:

Aeromaster Enamel 9027
Aeromaster Acrylic 1027
Gunze H314 50% + H334 50% or H417
Tamiya Acrylic XF-23 60% + XF-2 40%
Humbrol 175
Xtracolour X208
ModelMaster RLM 76

Is this your kit?
Hasegawa plastic model kits

Reason I ask is that I'm finding several paint schemes for his planes. Not sure which one you're using.

Andy,

That is in fact my kit, however mine may be a bit newer as it is made by Minicraft/Hasegawa. The picture on the front is identical.

The 2 variations in the kit are listed as:

Bf-109G-5 11/JG5 Hauptman Carganico
or
Bf-109G-6/R6 7/JG27 Eastern Mediterranean

Thank you for the clarification with Hauptman. Now that I know his name is Horst I'll try searching for Horst Carganico.

This is why I try to avoid German planes, these colors are difficult. But as we all know, no collection is complete without at "least" 1 Bf-109.

Thanks again,

Jon

Jon, ModelMaster makes a whole line of custom blends by RLM number.

Is this the scheme you're trying to replicate?

Attachments

• 109_carganico2.gif
    109_carganico2.gif
    30.5 KB · Views: 604
Last edited:
That isn't the scheme I am trying to get and that looks like his winter wash version.

The one I am trying get it looks like the link below. I have to figure out how to put photos on a reply, but this link will take you to the exact one I am trying to build.

G6-MickyM

OK. The scheme in your link looks like a basic factory "74/75/76" scheme used on most G-6's. This means the upper camo is made up of RLM 74 (Gray/Green) and RLM 75 (Mid Gray) in a splinter pattern with the sides and undersides in the aforementioned RLM 76 (light Gray/Blue). The fuselage sides had factory applied blotches of 74 and 75 and possibly RLM 02 over the 76. The catch is that there were many examples of field applied schemes over the factory finish that can give a wide variety of colours and patterns but most of these used the above basic colours to achieve the variations, but sometimes with other colours like RLM 79 (Sand) thrown in. This is where a lot of reference pics and reliable profiles are a big help if you're trying to achieve an authentic looking model.

You're in the right place to get help so don't be afraid to ask. I think I've touched on the basics and some others may be along to advise more on this specific scheme.

I'm glad to hear it's a basic job as I'm a bit nervous to begin with. I think I'm going to try this as suggested with the hopes of getting the mottle down so I can try harder schemes in the future.

This should be an interesting build for me.

Thank you again,

Jon

There are only four photos of this aircraft to my knowledge. Two of them show the scheme you are attempting,the other two show a winter camouflage. It looks to be,as already suggested, a standard 74/75 over 76 scheme. The mottling was factory standard.
Cheers
Steve

I've built that kit, standard lt blue works fine for it.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

14.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back