Boy killed in Second World War finally honored

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

syscom3

Pacific Historian
Jun 4, 2005
Orange County, CA
24 June 2009 10:52
Commonwealth War Graves Commission (National)
One of the youngest British casualties of the Second World War is to finally receive a headstone, exactly 68 years after he was killed aboard a merchant ship. Records show Reginald Earnshaw was aged "about 15" when he died aboard the SS North Devon, but it's believed he may have lied about his age in order to serve his country, perhaps being as young as just 14.
On Monday 6th July 2009 Reginald Earnshaw's grave at Comely Bank Cemetery in Edinburgh will have a headstone erected by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission, thanks in large part to the efforts of a small group of individuals, one of whom served alongside Reginald on the SS North Devon. 86 year old Alf Tubbs was an 18 year old machine gunner on the SS North Devon, when it was bombed by German aircraft en route for Tyneside. As some of the crew abandoned ship, Alf stayed at his post and continued firing at the attacking planes. His thoughts then turned to his young friend Reggie. Alf rushed to the engine room to try and locate Reggie, but was beaten back by the steam. Reggie was one of 6 men who died that night.
Decades later, Alf decided to find out what happened to Reggie. An appeal on a naval history website put him in touch with various people, and details about Reggie began to emerge. Born in Dewsbury in West Yorkshire, his last known address was in Edinburgh – a major port during the Second World. His final resting place is at Comely Bank Cemetery is not far from where he lived in the Granton area of the Scottish Capital. There are no known living next of kin, but the Commission is appealing for any family to contact them.
For reasons unknown, the location of Reginald Earnshaw's grave was never reported to the Commonwealth War Graves Commission or marked with a headstone until recently, when a simple wooden cross was erected as a temporary marker, though his name is listed on the Tower Hill naval memorial in London. Now, the Commission is preparing to mark his grave with a granite Commission headstone - a fitting and lasting memorial for a boy who died fighting for his country. As he prepares for the headstone to be put in place, Alf Tubbs is simply glad that Reggie's grave will be properly marked: "The most important thing to me is that he gets a fitting headstone. I'm glad that after all these years, the sacrifice of such a young man - my pal – will be properly marked."

Last edited:
I was thinkin the exact same thing as both BikerBabe and Evanglider. This seems to have been a case of mis-filing, not intentionally ignoring. Sounds like they're working to rectify the situation, though! :salute: to young Mr. Earnshaw

Users who are viewing this thread

Back