British Debts

Should British WWII debts be written off?

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Mr Instal..You have not been around here to long..Theres some old boys who REALY know there history ..And DerAdler is one of them.. FlyBoyJ and PlanD also..And if you come across "strong willed" ..As you "did"..You best know your facts and history..Because they will carpet bomb you..They realy pride them selves on the facts..And you even got me into it..And I do not do that ..I use to "think" that I knew about war history and all...Until I came here..And if you read my posts ...I will ask why on stuff and bring a small peace of info to a post..But sit back and learn around hear most days..So if your sure on your facts and want to charge the gunners nest ..Do so ..But you may get cut to peaces..

And being called dumb ..Thats nothing ..One of my first few post PlanD called me F#$%khead or F@#$kstane ..LOL...So dumb was light..

And you didn't even try to torpedo my last post..???..And I'm ez to sink..A few of these guys realy know there stuff ...Your going to need a little more armor if your going to play these are the "facts"...

If you were sitting beside me when I typed "would you quit calling me dumb" you would have seen a smile on my face. I certainly did not intend to infer that I was being slighted. Sometimes it is difficult to type with the intended inflection. I guess I better use more smilies:) Haztoys you are absolutely right when you say there are allot of guys here that really know thier history however if you read my post I said "I may have my facts wrong here so slam away". Are you suggesting that if I do not have all the facts about a particular topic that I should not write any posts? I do not know much about forums and as you pointed out I am pretty new around here but wouldn't that make for a pretty boring forum? And no offense but if I want to brush up on my history I'll read a book.:p

If you were sitting beside me when I typed "would you quit calling me dumb" you would have seen a smile on my face. I certainly did not intend to infer that I was being slighted. Sometimes it is difficult to type with the intended inflection. I guess I better use more smilies:) Haztoys you are absolutely right when you say there are allot of guys here that really know thier history however if you read my post I said "I may have my facts wrong here so slam away". Are you suggesting that if I do not have all the facts about a particular topic that I should not write any posts? I do not know much about forums and as you pointed out I am pretty new around here but wouldn't that make for a pretty boring forum? And no offense but if I want to brush up on my history I'll read a book.:p

"I" never called you dumb ..Some others may have... But not me ...One thing I did say and do know ..Is if you come across as some thing is "fact" around here...It better be "fact"...Is all I was getting at.. I made a post today in the "Japan Nuke" thread and was not sure as to my info ..So I made sure it came across as a question and not a statement of fact...Its all good ..I had a rough start here myself..And now I see that the guys around here just do not want this forum to end up a bloody wikipedia..Is what here try to do..So hang out and injoy the forum...There a good bunch of guys ... They just come across as a pack of rabid dogs at times..:D :D :D :D :D

The last thing I want to do with the following comments is to cast disparaging remarks to my friends south of the border but I have allways wondered about Britain owing money to the U.S. for WW2. I personally find it reprehensible that Britain would owe anyone anything for carrying the fight to the Nazi's particularly when the US had it's head in the sand. Profiting from someone who is fighting that kind of evil is just wrong. The British people suffered greatly from the war they should not be made to continue to suffer because they did the right thing. And ya ya ya I know they weren't the only ones to suffer.
Well if Britain and France had just stood up to Hitler in the thirties when they had the chance, the war in Europe might never have happened. At least as far as the Germans are concerned, the Russians on the other hand:?:

You are correct but that is 20/20 heind sight. No one wanted another war after loosing so many in WW1 but it happened. Had Churchill been PM instead of Chamberlain WW2 would quite possibly have been avoided.

I think as England being a future Ally to the US prior and during early part of WW2 is beholding to pay of the Debt to the US via Lend Lease. I will put it to a simplier terms. Say for example the US was a banking institution and England as a potential home builder borrowed money from the Bank this case being the USA. But Germany was trying to inhibit the purchase of the property that home buyer England was trying to purchase. France was also involved in the final purchasse by England but was stalling for reasons of her own. So England in desperation ended up seeking a cash advancements on building supplies from the Bank US but signed a promisiary note in this case Lend Lease to help fund Englands in her quest and repayment of debt was set at an Interest rate and over long period of time. But not all stockholders of US Bank (citizens) were happy about that England Home owner was granted a special loan by the US Bank President and members of the executive board and that the US Bank Stockholders didn't want to get involved in a England France German squabble over which the US Bank stockholders saw as none of their business. As it turned out the loan was approved England was abled to fund the necassary requirements she needed. France got over run by and occupied by a re energized Germany along with rest of Europe with the help of the Italians in some measure and England had to stand alone with her Commonwealth friends holding up brick work and panelling. Until the US Bank got actually involved in the whole building process directly by means of a Japanese take over bid elsewhere in the Pacific and Asia. But in this that the Bank US still was owed money from original debt England had signed previously in the intrim and at the interest rates set. And that US Bank Stockholder and investors had to have return on capital invested in first place with England when the building process was finally completed

I know I am trivializing Lend Lease with England and the US but looking at it as in business way of thinking and at a different angle the Debt being Lend Lease has to be repaid. You don't expect banks to lend money then forget the debt later when its inconvient to the borrower and hope the debt is forgiven later. I will have to side with the Americans on this one. US Tax Payers then and even now can't be expected to foot the bill. I hope what I have written makes sense at what I am trying to say on this debate

I know I am trivializing Lend Lease with England and the US but looking at it as in business way of thinking and at a different angle the Debt being Lend Lease has to be repaid. You don't expect banks to lend money then forget the debt later when its inconvient to the borrower and hope the debt is forgiven later. I will have to side with the Americans on this one. US Tax Payers then and even now can't be expected to foot the bill. I hope what I have written makes sense at what I am trying to say on this debate

You do realise I hope, that the bill has been repaid in full.

You do realise I hope, that the bill has been repaid in full.

Yes I do Glider and I was using it as an example to the way I was thinking. And Adler I tried very hard not to trivialize the debate. And Glider I know it broke England for years and for many years I favoured that England didn't have to repay the debt until I began listening to the other side of the debate and realized US Citizens had to bare the cost until debt was paid. I thought long and hard about it Lend Lease and put different angles on it. And even though my sympathy laid with the British and Lend Lease etc. I came to realise there are no free lunches in this world and debts have to be repaid. Sorry Glider

If the French are making good noises to Bush maybe he will raise the issue of what France owes the USA.

Somehow I don't see that happening.

Well, before this descends into a predictable, "lets bash the French" thread, by the end of WWII, outstanding French debt (prewar purchases plus
lend-lease minus reverse lend-lease plus other loans) stood at some
$2bn. The Blum-Byrnes agreements (which you can look up for more detail)
wrote off the outstanding debt and added a new US loan instead. When De Gaulle became President in 1958, he insisted on financial
stabilization and in particular he wanted outstanding debts to the US
repaid, which was done in 1963. In short, The US felt that French participation in the defense of Europe against the Red Menace during the Cold War was better than a France struggling economically to repay war debts in full.

So on the one hand, France repaid its debt 40 years ago, but on the
other hand the amount to be repaid was far less than that owed by
Britain, so this doesn't really compare.

Lets not forget that £300 Billion in Gold Bullion was shipped to the United States from Great Britain so that it would not fall into NAZI hands should the country be invaded. This plus other valuable assets more than compensated for British purchases during the war (mainly food, fuel and raw materials).

The idea that Great Britain owed money to the United States at the end of the war is utterly ludicrous. Great Britain had more than sufficient assets to pay for U.S. supplies.

The problem was that immediately hostilities ended, the Wall Street Bankers DEMANDED their money in cash. This money however was needed for the rebuilding of the British economy to a Peace-time situation (eg repairing damage cause by the enemy, modernizing industry, funding those matters that had been neglected because of the war such as the railways, hospitals and schools).

Hundreds of thousands of men were also returning home from the fighting services-All requiring homes and jobs.

Faced with this the Attlee Government was forced to appeal to the United States for financial assistance. An appeal that was initially refused by the Americans (though they later relented and allowed a financial loan (not nearly enough to cover requirements)). It was This loan that has recently been repaid (Not as many of todays Americans would suggest for Lend-Lease purchases).

Lets not forget that £300 Billion in Gold Bullion was shipped to the United States from Great Britain so that it would not fall into NAZI hands should the country be invaded. This plus other valuable assets more than compensated for British purchases during the war (mainly food, fuel and raw materials).

The idea that Great Britain owed money to the United States at the end of the war is utterly ludicrous. Great Britain had more than sufficient assets to pay for U.S. supplies.

The problem was that immediately hostilities ended, the Wall Street Bankers DEMANDED their money in cash. This money however was needed for the rebuilding of the British economy to a Peace-time situation (eg repairing damage cause by the enemy, modernizing industry, funding those matters that had been neglected because of the war such as the railways, hospitals and schools).

Hundreds of thousands of men were also returning home from the fighting services-All requiring homes and jobs.

Faced with this the Attlee Government was forced to appeal to the United States for financial assistance. An appeal that was initially refused by the Americans (though they later relented and allowed a financial loan (not nearly enough to cover requirements)). It was This loan that has recently been repaid (Not as many of todays Americans would suggest for Lend-Lease purchases).

As the money was rightfully demanded. If it had not been so as others have suggested it would have been the US citizen paying for it. That is not right.

Hoilbar, was that $300 Billion kept by the U.S. or sent back?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back