Brooks' Photos

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thank you Eric. I am getting ready to download the CS program and tinker with it some. I do belong to a local camera club and several of the members teach Photoshop so I should be able to get some help from them at the meetings with it but I should probably take one of their classes. Again, I very much appreciate the help and guidance you guys have given me. Thank you very much!

It's been over a week and I still don't have my camera back. Feel kinda lost without it. Oh well, need to find something else to do this weekend. The Battle of Wise is next weekend so I hope to have it back. I know syscom and wheelsup would like to see some of it.

Man I hate putting things in the shop, it takes for ever to get them back. I put a lawn mower in to get a wheel bearing replaced, it took a month, my yard was like a jungle. Thats me cutting my grass.

If you don't get it back I hope you still go to the reenactment.
It sounded like it would be a fun day.

Wheels

Use your Phone camera Aaron Ive seen some good work done on the cheapest cameras, the image might not be brilliant and you can't blow them up much but with really good subject matter people often over look the technical failings.
And for composition practice it does'nt matter about the camera it just limits your flexibility

Last edited:
Agree with Lee. Some of my best pictures are from relatively poor cameras. You don't need your main camera to get a feel for taking pictures and composition. You seem to have got the hang of your camera now so improving your composition can be done with any camera.

I hope you do get some great shots of the battle fields. My great grandfathers and uncles all fought in the war, some on both sides. I hope to someday too be able to see those places they fought. Please get your camera back

Guys, I hate to disappoint but I have the most basic of phones. I can plug my camera into it to transmit photos but it has no camera, sorry. I will call them tomorrow to try to speed things up. There is always hope.

Ok no camera Aaron you can still practice. Cut a picture shaped hole in a piece of card say 50mm X 40mm or you can hold your thumbs and index fingers to create a frame (I'm sure youve seen movie directors doing it) now hold it up infront of you and try framing objects or scenes that you would take images of move it around and watch how the composition varies depending on what you preclude or include within that frame and how you position them. Many film directors before the advent of the video monitor used framing lens they hung around their necks to check the shots composition but a piece of card or fingers is a cheap alternative.
Also visit an art gallery as photography uses the same composition rules as painters have used for centuries.even when you watch the TV look at the way the cameraman has framed the subject rather than what is happening within the frame
TV cameramen are well trained in the art of composition long before they are let loose with a tv camera.

I'm not claiming to be an expert Aaron but I have been doing photography for 40 years and digital is a new subject for me to learn but the advice I have recieved from load of real experts (and I would put Eric among them) over the years has nearly always put composition at the top of the learning list.

happy hunting
Lee

Thanks for the props, Lee. You hit a good point that I never thought about, visiting art galleries. I visit the Getty center here in LA several times a year. There are paintings and sculptures there from the masters like Manet, Van Gogh, Matisse and others. They also have temporary photography exhibits that change on a regular basis. I love to study other photographer's works. Some I like, others aren't to my taste. My wife is a much harsher photography critic than I am, and she thinks there isn't any reason why I shouldn't be in an exhibit there. Maybe one day.

Any place that has art, modern or contemporary can cause your artistic eye to grow. If you can get into an art gallery that allows you to take photos (without flash, some do. Flash photography is almost always prohibited), try to take a photo of the painting so that the photo matches the colors on the painting. Believe me, it's harder than it looks.

Also take photos of children. They are more difficult than airplanes to photograph. Catch them at play where they are all over the place.

Don't forget Kamikaze Camera. I still do it, just for fun. I took some over the weekend from some really odd angles and a couple of them are kinda cool.

Great advice guys! Thank you very much. I will put it to work and see what happens. Oh and I got good news today. Camera has been shipped today, should be here in two or three days so I should have it by Friday. I'm trying to dial my new monitor in. My old one took a dump last night. First the lights dimmed, heard a little tick and the screen went blue with a no signal in the upper right hand corner. Had it all checked today and got the bad news. Had to decide between a pistol I've been drooling over or a new monitor. Decided I'd rather stay in touch with you guys, it's a lot more fun. Again, thank you for the advice and hopefully I'll be shooting photos Saturday.

glad to here you are getting your kit back I would go nuts if I was without my camera gear for a day. I always have at least a vest pocket snapper on me.
Are you sure you havent been looking at the members mug shots? and accidently displsyed my portrait on your monitor thats more than enough to send it up the spout.
Happy snapping Lee

Thanks Lee. About the monitor, I believe it got to much dust in it and shorted out. It smelled R-E-A-L-L-Y hot after it went out and I was looking up my E-mails so I can't blame you.

Well Aaron tonight Im hoping to progress my digital knowledge love of Photography I am going to Join a camera club . 20 years ago I was a member of a club where I used to live and did ok in the inter club and occassionaly national competitions. All UK clubs are members of the Royal Photographic Society which is the same as your PSA ( photographic society of America).
Its a real good way of getting advise as well as fun interacting with people who have the same hobby
I had a looked on the PSA web site and as you have said there is at least one camera club in your area it costs nothing to go and have a chat to find out if you think it would be your cup of tea to be a member.
I assume in the States the comps run the same as here usually competition work is held in 3 catagories Novice ,Intermediate Expert.
However Its not the winning or loosing that counts most (although it does give lots of insentive) but the critisim from not just the judge but your fellow members that helps to drive your image taking forward. Try it Aaron it costs nothing to go and have a look it may be of real help to you with your picture taking..

I belong to the Highlands Camera Club here in Abingdon. Odd thing is, I've learned a LOT more here on the forum than at the club. Go figure. I do find new areas to go shoot at though so it's not a total loss. Oh, I got my camera back today. Well not exactly, they sent me a new one, said it was cheaper. Man am I glad I got the insurance.

Users who are viewing this thread