Brooks' Photos

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys.:oops: I had a lot more fun than I thought I would. When I found out it was in town I was somewhat disappointed, but all in all I had I good time. It is one of the smallest reenactments due to it's location being inside town limits. There was a police officer standing beside me during the canon shots. When they went off the first time he almost sh%t. :lol: I was ready for it but still jumped. I was laughing so hard at him I can't post the first photos cause they're out of focus. :lol: Oh, here is the other shot burst photo. Not as good but a nano-second sooner than the other.
IMG_3456 resized 25.jpg

Last edited:
Jeez...those guys look a bit tough on speeders in that No 4 shot !

Thats a good set of shots (pun intended !) there Aaron. Most people I know, when taking action shots of guns being fired, tend to take lots of pictures of the tops of buildings or clouds as they jump too much when they hear the bang !.

Nice, and thanks for sharing them with us.

One more reason not to fart near explosives. :lol: And thank you Gary for the compliment. I'm glad you like them. I got 4 cannon shots by each cannon and it took over one hundred photos to get them.

Last edited:
Aaron, I just had to "play" with one of your photos!

I desaturated it and then edited out the powerlines phone cables. Took out the street lines and even got rid of the street sign on the pole. I left the pole because there were telegraph poles back then as well as gaslight (typical gaslight poles were about 9 - 12 feet tall, but they did suspend some across streets between two poles.)

After making some brightness/contrast adjustments and making sure not to sharpen, I got a nice B&W.

Then I added a semi-transparent layer over the top of it to create a Sepia tone, borrowing from a Daguerreotype look and came up with the second version.

The original:
99469.jpg

And the edits:

Attachments

• Aarons_civilwar-edit1.jpg
    Aarons_civilwar-edit1.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 71
  • Aarons_civilwar-edit2.jpg
    Aarons_civilwar-edit2.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Nice work Aaron youv'e caught the cannon dischrage just right in shot 2
I find all these type of events so full of potential images that selecting the right ones to shoot is very hard and there is a tendancy to saturate shoot and not come out from behind the view finded to enjoy the event it self.

Aaron, I just had to "play" with one of your photos!

I desaturated it and then edited out the powerlines phone cables. Took out the street lines and even got rid of the street sign on the pole. I left the pole because there were telegraph poles back then as well as gaslight (typical gaslight poles were about 9 - 12 feet tall, but they did suspend some across streets between two poles.)

After making some brightness/contrast adjustments and making sure not to sharpen, I got a nice B&W.

Then I added a semi-transparent layer over the top of it to create a Sepia tone, borrowing from a Daguerreotype look and came up with the second version.

The original:
99469.jpg

And the edits:

Nice work Aaron youv'e caught the cannon dischrage just right in shot 2
I find all these type of events so full of potential images that selecting the right ones to shoot is very hard and there is a tendancy to saturate shoot and not come out from behind the view finded to enjoy the event it self.

WOW GG, That looks fabulous! You spent a lot of time removing the unwanted objects! :shocked!:
:thumbright: :cool:
Thank you Lee. You're rite about there being to much to shoot. I found myself out of position way to often and not able to get a shot that would have been cool to shoot. You shoot what you can get and hope for the best.:)

I have missed shots so many times Aaron that have been right under my nose because I am looking at the big picture.
Often I find its the individual in the crowd that captures the overall atmosphere of an event more than the crowd itself.
But then if Photography was easy it would be no fun aye? Its easy to press the shutter release but very hard to get a worth while image that ticks all the composition boxes and harder still to know you have captured an image that ticks all the composition boxes thats why I personally think the old plate camera guys were so skillfull they only got one shot to get it right and it had to be composed up side down
Im really enjoying looking at your work Aaron keep it up
happy snapping
Lee

Last edited:
Nice edit there, Dave. I have started playing more and more in photoshop, and find it's like peeling an onion, there is more and more, the deeper you go.

Lee is right, the old box camera, glass plate guys had some amazing skills.

I have missed shots so many times Aaron that have been right under my nose because I am looking at the big picture.
Often I find its the individual in the crowd that captures the overall atmosphere of an event more than the crowd itself.
But then if Photography was easy it would be no fun aye? Its easy to press the shutter release but very hard to get a worth while image that ticks all the composition boxes and harder still to know you have captured an image that ticks all the composition boxes thats why I personally think the old plate camera guys were so skillfull they only got one shot to get it right and it had to be composed up side down
Im really enjoying looking at your work Aaron keep it up
happy snapping
Lee

Thank you Lee:oops: I'm still learning and have a lot more to learn yet but I do have a lot of fun with it. Again, I greatly appreciate all the tip and guidance that you guys have given me. If it weren't for that there would be no improvement in what's here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back