Brooks' Photos (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

My train shots didn't turn out today but I did get some old concrete buildings and a barn. The concrete buildings are in the inside of the turn headed for the tunnel. They almost look like they could have been a small repair facility for the RR but the buildings are at the wrong angles to the tracks for that. Anyway, what ever they use to be they are interesting.:)

IMG_6642 resized 25.jpg

IMG_6646 resized 25.jpg

IMG_6635 resized 25.jpg

Very cool shots, Aaron...that barn being completely overgrown like that kind of gives away it's age...

Those concrete buildings remind me of the "job" buildings we have out here, that date back to the turn of the century till about the 30's or so. Near tunnels, road projects and smaller dams, you can often see the remains of concrete buildings that housed machinery, shops and blasting supplies. In the case of a "powder shack", it'll have a single, small door with a low header, no windows and at least one opening/vent at or near the peak.

If you say these buildings are near the train tunnel, my guess would be that these are remnants of that project.

That's what I was thinking. There is one that is at least 100' in length and about 40' wide. The main and only entrance is partially below ground level on one end and at the other end is a large opening. The walls are about 1 1/2 to 2 feet thick. The roof is gone. Opposite of where I was standing when I shot the photo of the silos is another large building. Half under ground with three huge bays open towards the tracks. Again, now roof exists. If you look on the Train Pics Thread I made a post two weeks ago. On it are directions on how the get to it on Google Earth to view the tunnel entrance. Where the tracks turn to make the run at the tunnel is where these buildings are located, to the inside of the turn about 20 to 25 yards off the track bed. I will try to get back out there to get better photos of the more hidden buildings soon. But I am all but certain that you are rite about it being a maintenance facility for the tunnel construction.:cool:

The old concrete shell with the thick walls reminds me of some old buildings down at the Army Ammunition Plant where they made and packaged high explosives. With walls that thick it may have been a place to store explosives so that the blast would be contained and blow out through the roof.
The really long building with the wide entrance...I'm guessing was the shop and repair facilities for the cars used to dig the tunnel.
With all the concrete they would have used to shore up and line the tunnel; do you think the silos may have been for onsite concrete production?

I took a quick peek on Google Earth (thanks for the location) and it looks like the tunnel is over 4,000 ft. long and very straight. BTW, have the trees grown back on that ridge above the tunnel? It looked like some serious logging had taken place in the sat image.

Have a good Sunday morning Aaron.
Derek

It may have been logged Derek but there is a lot of rock and the top soil is not very deep at all and the satellite image was taken over the winter so there is no foliage. The trees are rather small in size and the mountain side is rather steep. It is a lot more than most would want to climb.:)

Last edited:
Great shots mate. Reminds me a lot of American model railways/roads I've seen in magazines. I find something really awesome about that sort of scenery it reminds me a lot of Australia. Thick scrub and bush.

Cheers.

Here is an update on the 71' Road Runner. We have been waiting on the motor for several months now and it's holding us up from going any further on the project.:rolleyes: Once we get the drivetrain in we put the interior in and will be all but done.:cool:

IMG_6692 resized 25.jpg

IMG_6693 resized 25.jpg

IMG_6694 resized 25.jpg

IMG_6695 resized 25.jpg

IMG_6700 resized 25.jpg

IMG_6712 resized 25.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks guys. We work hard at what we do. Sometimes it seems like it takes to long and then I think about Guttorm and the time that they have to spend on aircraft and I settle back into it a little better.:lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back