CAPTURED AIRCRAFT - ODD PHOTOS

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Just noticed the pic of the model of a captured P51. I may be wrong, but I suspect the inspiration for this model might have stemmed from the 1948 Warner Bros movie 'Fighter Squadron'. Eight P51's, including at least two P51C's, of the 195th FS, California National Guard, were used as Luftwaffe fighters, whilst the 'Allies' were portrayed by P47's!
At least the 'razorback' Mustangs looked a bit more like Messerschmitts, even if the overall dark colour scheme and very spurious markings were a bit dodgy!

Yup I agree Terry

109's suit German and German only liverys with maybe the exception of a few Italian machines

Something to me just doesn't look right with the stars on them

On a Tuskegee bomber excort mission it was reported that a Black Mustang flew up to the bomber group as shown in the below painting.

They showed a German p-51D on History channal's DOGFIGHTS sneeking up on the bombers.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yNBGGRJ8Tk

Tuskegeethunder.jpg

A rare one, Curtis-Wright CW-21 from the Dutch ML-KNIL recaptured on a Japanese airfield. It's the one in the middle with all the people around it. In the back a captured B17. The one up front is a Curtis CW-22.

Attachments

• b-17_japmks.jpg
    b-17_japmks.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 759
Zirkus Rosarius

the "Circus" used captured RAF and US bombers and fighters for familarization trials with LW pilots and crews all through the war. none of them were ever used in action.

Kg 200 is suppose to have used several US typesa for agent dropping but none of the mythical "follow the bombers and record height and directional movements and how many" Sure I have ready dozens and dozens accts of bomber servicemen noting them in the distance and following the bomber stream but imagine the JG's not knowing they were up there and coming in and shooting down your Kameraden..........you see my point. The LW ground techs behind the listening and radar devices could plot all of this anyway as soon as the heavies and little ones left England, all this till wars eventual end.

I find it extremely hard to believe any D's would be enlisted in the luftwaffe.

I am going to have to double check but I believe that KG 200 did employ P-51D's. I know they had several P-51s. I believe that most of them were B and C variants, but I believe there was one D in use.

I will have to check though, as I am not 100% sure on this and could be wrong. When I get back from Dresden this weekend I will check out a book of mine that lists all aircraft used by KG 200.

These profiles are from the book. Strangers in a Strange Land by squadron singnal along with the black and white photo. Notice one of the 50 cal machine gun holes if faired over. The book On Special Missions, The Luftwaffe's Research and Experimental squadrons 1923-1945 have a couple of pictures of a P-51D also.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 715
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 770
well..i dident see thisone in the thread..its a Ju 88 A4 captured by the americans ( not the same that survives today in the USAF Museum. this was scrapped in the 50`s after eveluation..atleast what i have learned from smitshonian..they still have a few parts from this aircraft that was salvaged by a collector when it was scrapped )

love the paintscheme in this Ju 88 :)

Attachments

• post-4261-1226212015.jpg
    post-4261-1226212015.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 739
i know..its terrible.. but thats life i guess.. I know somewhere i have seen a close up of the noseart ( made by the US crew..and it should be here somewhere ) and i will try to find it..that is a Ju 88 i am planning to make a modell of :)

GF

not sure if this is the place to put this..but this is all that is left from the Ju 88 A4 pictured above ( today stored in smitshonian )

a sad reminder of what once was..and what could have been

Attachments

• linselafette Ju 88 A4.JPG
    linselafette Ju 88 A4.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 682
  • bola door Ju 88 A4.JPG
    bola door Ju 88 A4.JPG
    40.6 KB · Views: 682
alrighty, Adler, I look forward to it :)

It appears that up to 4 P-51D's were captured by the Luftwaffe and used by Versuchsverband Ob.d.L/OKL (Rosarius Zirkus aka Circus). However as Erich pointed out they were used for testing only and not used in combat against the allies.

A rare one, Curtis-Wright CW-21 from the Dutch ML-KNIL recaptured on a Japanese airfield. It's the one in the middle with all the people around it. In the back a captured B17. The one up front is a Curtis CW-22.

CW-21 was found in excellent condition at Singapore in 1945...

Attachments

• a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 770

Users who are viewing this thread

Back