CAPTURED AIRCRAFT - ODD PHOTOS

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I have probably posted some of these somewhere on the forum at some point, but here it goes...

Attachments

• Ju87B2-YAF.jpg
    Ju87B2-YAF.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 331
  • 113650_42733405_lightning.jpg
    113650_42733405_lightning.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 301
Profiles are little clearer then picture. Though the caption of the first P-38 profile is wrong in the name of the airfield! It's Sombor not Sambor. Same as nearby town in northern Serbia.

Attachments

• 111_1.jpg
    111_1.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 327
  • 111_1_b1.jpg
    111_1_b1.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 334
Thanks Shinpachi. The surviving photos of Allied aircraft captured by Japanese forces in Malaya, Singapore, the Philippines and the Dutch East Indies are a treasure-trove of useful info. I'm always on the lookout for pics of Martin B-10s, P-35s or Buffalos so, although these didn't cover those topics, I still found them interesting. I was fortunate to work with a gentleman in Japan a few years ago who purchased original WWII magazines for me that were absolutely filled with photos of captured aircraft. Fascinating stuff! I keep hoping there's more to be discovered, like the recent photo sold on ebay of a 243 Sqn Buffalo wreck at Kallang, Singapore.

Cheers,
B-N

You can view the book in their digital library here but, sorry, I hope you not to ask me translation as it always seriously takes a lot of my time.
Thanks for your kind cooperation in advance.

Are we able to download the book?

Its amazing, on the side tab you can also click it and go to the seperate aircraft photos you want to see like B-17E, P-40 etc :D

You can view the book in their digital library here but, sorry, I hope you not to ask me translation as it always seriously takes a lot of my time.
Thanks for your kind cooperation in advance.

Thank you for sharing, Shinpachi. I have most of those photographs in the magazines sent by my Japanese friend but there are a few new ones. Fantastic collection of pictures...just wish there were more and that the quality of some were better (but I'm greedy!!!). :)

Cheers,
B-N

Thanks for your favorable reply B-N. I appreciate your generosity.

Hello, Igor and vB.
Its original title is "敵機解剖 大東亜戦・鹵獲・撃墜撃破飛行機写真集(Enemy Aircraft Anatomy: Photo Album of planes captured, shot down and destroyed during the Great East Asia War = Pacific War)"

Cheers,

Thanks for your favorable reply B-N. I appreciate your generosity.

Hello, Igor and vB.
Its original title is "敵機解剖 大東亜戦・鹵獲・撃墜撃破飛行機写真集(Enemy Aircraft Anatomy: Photo Album of planes captured, shot down and destroyed during the Great East Asia War = Pacific War)"

Cheers,

THANK YOU my friend!

JU 388 in the USA.
P-38
German personnel preparing for the flight, an American reconnaissance plane Lockheed F-5E Lightning s/n 44-23725 Lieutenant Martin James Monti deserted from the USAAF.On October 13, 1944 he landed his plane at Pomigliano Airfield near Milan in Italy, The Italians had captured the aircraft and handed it over to the Germans.

Source Wiki:
Martin James Monti (October 24, 1921 – September 11, 2000) was a United States airman who defected to the Axis powers and worked as a propaganda broadcaster and writer. After the end of World War II, he was caught and sentenced to long terms, first for desertion, then for treason.

Monti enlisted in the Army Air Forces as an aviation cadet. He reported for training and later was commissioned as a flight officer. He subsequently qualified in the P-39 Aircobra and the P-38 Lightning, and was promoted to second lieutenant, when he was sent to Karachi, India (now in Pakistan). Attached to the 126th Replacement Depot, by then a first lieutenant, he deserted the Army Air Forces. He hitched a ride aboard a C-46 to Cairo, Egypt, and from there he traveled to Italy, via Tripoli, Libya. At Foggia he visited the 82nd Fighter Group, and then he made his way to Pomigliano Airfield, north of Naples, where the 354th Air Service Squadron prepared aircraft for assignment to line squadrons. He took note that an aircraft, a reconnaissance version of the P-38 Lightning, needed work and required a test flight after repairs. He stole the aircraft and flew to Milan. There, he surrendered, or rather defected to the Nazis, and subsequently began work as a propaganda broadcaster under the pseudonym of "Captain Martin Wiethaupt".

At the end of 1944, Monti made a microphone test at the recording studio of the SS Standarte 'Kurt Eggers', a propaganda unit of the Waffen-SS, under the direction of Guenter d'Alquen, in Berlin, Germany. He later joined them as a SS-Untersturmführer and participated in writing and composing a leaflet to be distributed by members of the German military forces, and among Allied prisoners of war.

At the end of the war, Monti was in Italy when he surrendered to the Americans (still wearing his SS uniform). In 1946, he was sentenced to 15 years in prison on the charge of desertion, but was pardoned within a year on condition he join the army. He was serving as a sergeant when the FBI rearrested him in 1948. He was charged with treason, as his propaganda activities as "Martin Wiethaupt" had been discovered by the FBI, and sentenced to 25 years in prison. Monti was paroled in 1960.

Attachments

• _ju388_2.jpg
    _ju388_2.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 410
  • P-38 F-5E.jpg
    P-38 F-5E.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 418
Last edited:
captured Stirling crash-landed in Germany. Only one Stirling was captured intact, a 7 Sqn machine which forced-landed in Holland on the night of 15/16 August 1942.

Attachments

• shortstirlingmkirafflug.jpg
    shortstirlingmkirafflug.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 423
  • shortstirlingmkirafflug2.jpg
    shortstirlingmkirafflug2.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 411
Did not know the story behind this P38.
Very interesting !
Do we know what motivated this pilot to surrender to the axis, especially in 1944 after the battle of Normandy ?
Ps : This is sad that a pilot became a SS, just wanna clarify I do not find the soty interesting for this, I just find it strange that a USAF pilot decided to defect as the nazis were defeated mostly everywhere at that time. My Grandfather was forced labour in prisonner camps in germany to be clear. Don't wanna be miss understand :)

Captured Messerschmitt Bf 110D "The Belle of Berlin" in British markings on a landing ground in North Africa. This aircraft served with II/ZG76 in Iraq and was captured after crash-landing near Mosul in May 1941. It was used as a communications aircraft and later as a unit 'hack' by No.267 Squadron RAF.
RAF-Me-110-595x578.jpg

About the captured Ju388, is that the one in NASM museum ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back