Cessna 172 crashes at Benton (O85) Redding, California (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

GrauGeist

Generalfeldmarschall zur Luftschiff Abteilung
We had a 172 crash just south of Benton Airfield yesterday, the pilot (and his wife) were from Yuba City (about 175 miles south-east of Redding).

He made the approach from the north and overshot, running into brush and a fence at the south end, the aircraft coming to a rest about 1,000 feet south-east of the end of the runway.

Conditions were clear-unlimited with a strong wind out of the south-west, gusting to 18mph at times.

It was quoted that "there just wasn't enough runway", but I've been in a 172 and used half the runway, same with an Ercoupe, both landing and T/O.

Fortunately, there were not any fatalities, the pilot was not injured however his wife sustained serious injuries and it happens that a major hospital was just a few minutes away from the crash site.

Here's the local paper's article: Plane crash reported at Benton Airpark - Redding

And I tried to get a photo of the scene, but it's really difficult, as the plane came to rest on city property, almost in a draw...and all I had on hand was a 50-200 for the shot. The personnel around the aircraft are from the Sacto FAA office.

Note the plane's resting just at the edge of a deep ravine...had he traveled another several feet, he would have gone into it (the plane's path was from right to left in the photo)
IMGP15523[720x477].jpg

Cropped for better detail:
IMGP15523-ed[720x477].jpg

For a little better idea of Benton Airfield's information, see here: https://www.airnav.com/airport/O85

The runway is 2420 feet (738m)

It's actually a great airfield to come and go from...we have several small airports in the area and of course, nearby Redding Municipal Airport (RDD), where EAA's Aluminum Overcast and the Collings Foundation visit every so often.

I just looked at the POH and the landing roll is 520' and total clearing 50' obstacle is 1250. he should have had more than enough asphalt....wonder if this was his plane or a rental?

Hope his wife recovers fully. As mentioned, I can't see any flaps deployed - wonder if he tried to land without flaps - it would certainly 'float' quite a distance if he did.

I didn't see the flaps deployed either. I believe he may have believed there was plenty of runway and went in hot, got caught by a stray gust and overshot the landing.

I didn't see the flaps deployed either. I believe he may have believed there was plenty of runway and went in hot, got caught by a stray gust and overshot the landing.
That's along my lines of thinking and I just found out he approached downwind in spite of the gusting conditions.

It also looks like this 172 is privately owned (by a different person), so it's not a rental.

10kt tailwind will double your landing distance, if I remember correctly. Gusty conditions could account for the lack of flaps. It does make for a more stable approach. But combining that with the tailwind will mean an exceedingly long landing distance. Not sure if that's what happened here or not, but I guess there will be an accident report.

Thankfully no fatalities and hope his wife recovers. From the photos, that plane seems to be totaled and would only be good for salvaging interior parts in my mind. It makes you wonder how many hours does he have and why on earth would you choose a down wind landing over landing into the wind any way?

Last edited:
maybe he had a moment of dyslexia? but landing downwind would pretty much answer the question of running out of runway. a day or so after I soloed I went out to practice. when I took off the sky was clear and wind calm....and took off heading north. as I approached the practice area I saw a wall of gray clouds coming in fast. Oklahoma weather is something. so I beat it back to the airport. I never looked at the landing T or tetrahedron...I had just taken off minutes before so i lined up to land on the same runway I had just departed. I had one bugger of a time getting the plane on the ground. the wind was now gusting badly. I went around and this time i did get it down after a lot of fighting. i tied up the plane and took the keys into the office. the owner was sitting there with a reading his paper and very nonchalantly said, "landing downwind is really difficult isn't it?" i just gave him a sheepish look and walked away quietly...

Yeah, I've done it a couple of times, once inadvertently. We had two windsocks at either end of the runway pointing in opposite directions. Just our luck that the direction we picked was the wrong one, and we ended up ground-looping and narrowly avoiding a ditch.

Well, that was a hell of a landing, clearing the traffic signals and vehicles.

I remember Red Hill, back in the day...not much out there then, but there was a great Auto Parts store, Red Hill Auto Parts, that was a supplier to my Texaco service station (Grand Dyer- across from the Holly sugar factory)...they had a couple parts girls that were smokin' hot (especially Emily)...

Anyway, thanks for sharing the link video! :thumbleft:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back