Completely Rebuilt FW-190A-5 Flies Again (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ccheese

Member In Perpetuity
Jul 10, 2007
Virginia Beach, Va.
The date is 2 December 2010 and the place is Casa Grande Airport in Arizona.
FW-190A-5 werk # 015227 fresh from rebuild, but not yet painted, flies again
for the first time in 61 years, six months and 10 days.

With noted pro Steve Hinton at the controls, the FW-190A-5 flew once again.
The FW-190A-5 was found almost intact in a Russian forest in 1989 where it
belly landed after an engine failure.

The story is in the Jan/Feb 2011 issue of Warbirds International, and the story
was written by Jim Larsen. I assume the photo's are his too.

Charles

Attachments

• FW-190a.jpg
    FW-190a.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 911
Last edited:
IIRC, this is the Flying Heritage Würger that Paul Allen owns. She'll be on display up in Everett, WA, and will hopefully fly this summer with the other Luftwaffe aircraft. I'll make a up trip north to go check it out. His collection is OUTSTANDING!

Great news. I was hoping for years that we would one day see an original Fw 190 fly again (not counting Flug Werk replicas here). In my opinion if they have it researched the best camouflage scheme for this aircraft would be to recreate his original appearance from WW2 on the day when it was lost.

Happy, happy, joy, joy!!!!

Wonder what camo scheme she'll be dressed in?

Imalko said:
In my opinion if they have it researched the best camouflage scheme for this aircraft would be to recreate his original appearance from WW2 on the day when it was lost.

Once tests are completed the aircraft wiil be painted in it's exact 4/JG54 "White
A" markings that it wore on it's last flight on 19 July 1943.

Charles

Attachments

• FW-190A5.JPG
    FW-190A5.JPG
    146.2 KB · Views: 321
Last edited:
IIRC, this is the Flying Heritage Würger that Paul Allen owns. She'll be on display up in Everett, WA, and will hopefully fly this summer with the other Luftwaffe aircraft. I'll make a up trip north to go check it out. His collection is OUTSTANDING!

You are correct... it is the Flying Heritage FW-190 owned by Paul Allen.

Charles

Beautiful photos. However i believe that an original, true , Fw190 is too valuamble to fly. I would prefer it in static display with all its original parts. Without doubt, in order to fly, its originality has been reduced a lot.

Since it seems to be the only Fw 190 with a working more-or-less original engine, it'd be a shame to have it on static display only.

NO keep her flying! she was born for the air let her soar. what a fine piece of machinery. there is supposed to be another real flyable 190 in ohio somewhere near cincinati. have to find out more about that one.

on us tv they have "the pickers" and those kind of "look what we found" shows... we ought to start a "hunt for warbirds" series! my guess is that 190 isnt the only one sitting in eastern europe just waiting patiently to be found.

I can't wait to hear the BMW roar to life, and I can only imagine what the low fly-bys will sound like. DROOL!!!

They have Yellow 10 in the collection as well. It's a Dora, D-13 I believe, but she'll never fly. They start her engine every year though, and it sounds great!

If I won the lottery though, I'd rather have the Anton. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back