Consolidated B-24D LIBERATOR; 1/48 Revell

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

MontrealLib'44.jpg
My uncle, Arthur, flew unarmed B-24s, in the right chair, all over the world from Dorval, PQ, as a Ferry Command pilot 1942-45.

Really nice build, Luis! I like how you made the radials look very good without resorting to purchasing expensive aftermarket resin sets (about $60 US for four of them). Is the flight deck of the B-17 the same green as you're using for the B-14? Can't wait to see your next posts.

My uncle, Arthur, flew unarmed B-24s, in the right chair, all over the world from Dorval, PQ, as a Ferry Command pilot 1942-45.

Your uncle must have some amazing stories to tell michaelmaltby :salute:The B-24 is an amazing aircraft.

Really nice build, Luis! I like how you made the radials look very good without resorting to purchasing expensive aftermarket resin sets (about $60 US for four of them). Is the flight deck of the B-17 the same green as you're using for the B-14? Can't wait to see your next posts.

I appreciate the comment Builder 2010 (what is your name?); Like you, I am passionate about the engines, cabins and landing gears.
(My English is still not so good), ... you ask me if the color of the flight deck of your B17 is equal to that of my B24 ?; I've seen on the net, it is that there were several colors. A colleague can give you better information. :oops: :idea:
... I shall also continue the process of your flying fortress, will be very interesting. Much appreciate the comments you do to my Lib.

Also known as C-87's. Not a very popular aircraft with the pilots.

Dear Andy, what you mean with your comment? ;)

Saludos y excelente semana a todos!! :thumbup:

Luis Carlos

I have enjoyed the process of elaboration of the propellers. :walk:

What I did was apply for the first time two techniques at a time than two model makers. I do not "invented the black thread" :magnifyglass:, only I included both for best results. I hope you like. :?::mrgreen:

And with the 4 pieces ready to paint, apply a layer of Primer for better adhesion of semi-gloss black color ...

180.jpg
181.jpg

I tape masks to paint the tips (I used Yellow Flat XF-3 with a minimum of red)

182.jpg

Once dry, I removed the tapes and with 1 part Dark Grey Xf-24 diluted with 10 parts of lacquer thinner, did transversal lines on each propeller simulating the wear of the air friction ...

183.jpg

With watercolor silver and white colored pencils, I realize chipping at the leading edge and tip of the propellers ... (I loved this, how easy it is and the result :propellerhead:). With white pencil made a couple of "touch" and draw small stenciled (blades 21 and 33)
With brush and aluminum (Humbrol 11) paint the center of the 4 propellers. I could see in original photographs of "The Squaw" that all four engines have tips and centers painted black and aluminum propellers colored differently each. I identify well as each engine must be painted (1, 2, 3, and 4) and achieve my Lib closest thing to the real ... !! You already know ... the syndrome which I suffer :crazy:

184.jpg

With brush I put a coat of Future to place decals and give it a wash with oil ... (view while the Future dries)

185.jpg

With small dots of oil paintings, prepare what it will be a way to give an appearance of use and windage in desert temperatures ...

186.jpg
187.jpg

With a flat brush, blending stump (hopefully translate well) to achieve the effect I want and with cotton swabs give the finishing touches ...

188.jpg
189.jpg

It is likely to touch up a bit with watercolor pencils and then with matt varnish seal all the work done. ... But I owe those photos.

... to continue with this little-great bird !!

Hasta pronto mis estimados amigos...:thumbup:

Luis Carlos

Cultural breviary:
:read2:

A "compadre" is the person who is the godfather of your son. (Official meaning) =;

In México (and Mexican) also it means a special relationship between two or more beyond the kinship, friendship or companionship
(someone with whom you can drink several bottles, enjoy carouse, save from fights to death, go to jail, etc.. ..Hahaha :downtown:)

:thumbup:

Those props look great sir! As a tip, you might consider painting the yellow tips FIRST. Then cut a long strip of masking tape about 2mm wide (equates to 4 inches for 1/48), cut into pieces slightly wider than the blade, then apply the tape bits over the yellow, front and back with one edge lined up at the tip of the prop. Then paint the black. This gives nice, consistent yellow tips and saves on tape.

Those props look great sir! As a tip, you might consider painting the yellow tips FIRST. Then cut a long strip of masking tape about 2mm wide (equates to 4 inches for 1/48), cut into pieces slightly wider than the blade, then apply the tape bits over the yellow, front and back with one edge lined up at the tip of the prop. Then paint the black. This gives nice, consistent yellow tips and saves on tape.

Andy you are absolutely right; I did so with my P-47 and Helldiver, first paint ends in white after yellow; however, "lazy and hasty" I wanted to save the white (and clean the airbrush).
I appreciate the comment, besides the data of 2 mm and equivalent to 4 inches; good to know!! :idea::salute:
... those 4 inches is a standard measure in all propellers with tips in color? :-s:-k

Saludos amigo hasta Canadá! :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back