Consolidated B-24D LIBERATOR; 1/48 Revell

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

As always thank friends for their compliments...:mrgreen:

Just catching up after being away for nine days - very nice work Luis.

I'm glad to see you back Terry, working on interiors, I thought of your project to make your "Lib" access to see and enjoy inside. I hope your start date approaches.

Soon I apply to more progress I have.

Saludos y hasta pronto! :thumbup:

In this session I present the completion of the process to finish the engines ...

(... If for someone can be useful as a reference, I also followed the steps of someone else ...:hotsun::-$)

After Alclad II, apply a coat of varnish gloss for better acceptance of painting (and avoid possible reactions -I did not know if would use acrylics or enamels or both-), then I started to itemize with black semigloss (X -18) the top and back of the pistons and dark gray (XF-24) pistons front tubelets. (I do not know in detail concerning engines ...:toothy6:)

129.jpg

The front of the engine managed by mixing 50/50 the shades of blue Humbrol and the top front of the pistons, mixing gold and aluminum (1/5) ...

130.jpg

The rear wall of the engine and wiring ...

131.jpg

Ready to receive a coat of gloss varnish to seal everything and prepare the dirtied and temporized

132.jpg

... After about chipping and washed with oils, all four engines were waiting ready to participate again ...\\:D/

139.jpg
140.jpg

One of the best pictures used as a reference ...

1a35329u_3.jpg

I hope you like it... =D>

Hasta pronto con más!...:thumbup:

Luis Carlos

Good stuff Luis.
Here's a pic of a B-24J engine taken last week, recovered from where it crashed, in Norfolk, in 1945. Although damaged, the overall appearance is close to what it would have looked like when in use. To the left is a b-24 pilot's seat.

Luis 1.jpg

I do like it. Very nice L-C
Gracias Andy :headbang:

Good stuff Luis.
Here's a pic of a B-24J engine taken last week, recovered from where it crashed, in Norfolk, in 1945. Although damaged, the overall appearance is close to what it would have looked like when in use. To the left is a b-24 pilot's seat.

View attachment 350748

That good photography Terry!!
If that engine, like the seats, could we talk their story ... that called me greatly the attention ...:bluepirate::signwow:
That is the tone that pretended to put on the pistons. Thanks for sharing gran amigo.

Abrazos :thumbup:

Now I leave you with the process and detailed of waist gunner machine guns ...

Let them talk the photos !! ... :rightfighter7: :smileymouse: :leftfighter7:

(Any questions or comments ...:salute:)

135.jpg

136.jpg

137.jpg

138.jpg

141.jpg

142.jpg

143.jpg

144.jpg

A couple of real photos ...

B-24_Waist_Gunner_In_Action.jpg
B-24D-The-Squaw-Fort-Worth-Gunners.jpg

... to work on those rails ammunition belt ... and how to be mounted from ammunitions box to each machine gun.

I'll have to paint first the outside window, so I can stick the ammunition box on its wall, position the machine gun and ammunition belt rail, before joining the two halves of the fuselage ...:-k any other suggestions?

Hasta pronto!!, ...buenas noches! :sleeping:

:thumbup:

Luis Carlos

Thanks my dear Dr. Hugh to give you the time to be always offering your comments.

I am happy to see you here again friend Torch; greetings to Colorado.

Seguimos en contacto y excelente inicio de semana! :thumbup:

Luis Carlos

Darryl Thanks for your comment, I'm glad to say hi. :thumbleft:

It is a very clear diagram Wojtek, I have several pictures of the network as a reference, so help me achieve better realism. I'm already working on that. Gracias! :thumbright:

For now I will take advantage the rear wing of the Lib to do the testing paint for the entire plane.
So I started to prepare the pieces ...
After piecing together, sanding and polishing the joints, with mini saws I opened the ends of the stabilizers to give a more realistic look.

146.jpg

145.jpg
147.jpg

In the last two photos do not clearly identify those pieces that are marked with arrows ... the blue arrows are "lights sighting"? and which are the red arrows? (On the outside of the vertical fins - first pic - I identify the light, but on the inside, in the same position, is another light or something else so I put red and blue arrow?).
I appeal to your knowledge and experience to know that they are and also how I should paint over the corresponding base color. Thank you in advance for your help :idea::signquestion:

Putting the pieces backlit, you can see the new slots ...

148.jpg
149.jpg

This morning I decided to make slots in the large stabilizer, entire width for better appearance ...:-k[-X

150.jpg
\\:D/
152.jpg

With a sandpaper sheet 500 took off the rough cut ...

151.jpg

I take this opportunity to ask other questions ...8-[ :oops:

A and C are metal parts, right?
B Ailerons are covered in fabric or canvas, right?

When painting with the corresponding color, I can see in some real images that the ailerons fabric (B) tend to be darker respect to the wing in general ... I'm right?

I will be working on various details while you can have your answers and suggestions. All are welcome.

Best regards y muchas gracias por sus visitas! :thumbup:

Good stuff Luis.
On the tail planes, the position lights were blue (there should also be two on top of the rear fuselage spine), and on the fins (vertical stabilisers) they were white, with a lamp on each side.
The circles on the fabric areas of the elevators and rudders are, I suspect, representing the inspection ports for the hing and linkage mechanisms.
You are correct regarding the trim tabs on elevators and rudders - these were metal (or wood), whilst the fabric covering the control surfaces was linen. The fabric did, as you correctly mentioned, 'weather' at a different rate to the metal-skinned, painted areas, as they were finished in dope, rather than paint and, being able to let a certain amount of UV light through the fabric, rather than absorbing it as the painted metal areas did, these areas often retained more of the colour shade, fading less than the painted areas, and therefore looking darker.
However, in hot climates, the opposite could happen, where the fabric became bleached by the sun, and therefore appeared lighter.

As is tradition, I appreciate your information Terry :read2::thegraduate:; as I have said on several occasions learn from all of you and know more and more of military aviation in WWII, make it every time more adore this beautiful hobby.

Is very good point regarding the linen stabilizers in hot-desert places ... the effect is reversed and are lighter than the rest of the top of the plane. I can also see in the model that has "three" position lights on top of the rear fuselage spine (all blue) ... they will look good on my Lib.

Enjoying and becoming ever better aircraft I appreciate and reciprocate so much support, interest in and camaraderie of so many aviation lovers & Model construction.

Muchas gracias muchachos!! :thumbup:

Yes, there should be three blue position lights on the top of the fuselage, not two - typo on my part.
I'd need to check, but there is probably also a white position light on top of the fuselage, further forward, in the area of the gun turret.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back