Consolidated B-24D LIBERATOR; 1/48 Revell

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Looks great Luis! Looking forward to the paint...

Just one suggestion, with a bit of pre-planning you can make life easier for yourself with the masking by applying tape from the inside, either before joining the fuse halves or through another cavity. Then when painting is done just poke them in and pull them out with tweezers.

I went trough a couple of references for the B-24 and the glass looked like the one mostly.

b-24_1.jpg

b-24_2.jpg

b-24_4.jpg

b-24_5.jpg

b-24_6.jpg

b-24_7.jpg

Looks great Luis! Looking forward to the paint...

Just one suggestion, with a bit of pre-planning you can make life easier for yourself with the masking by applying tape from the inside, either before joining the fuse halves or through another cavity. Then when painting is done just poke them in and pull them out with tweezers.

It's a very good tip Turbo (what's your name?). As required by the pieces to be joined, I do what you kindly suggest. In fact I'm thinking of doing that to paint the front bubble attached to the structure; But I think it is best to stick it with adhesive permanently and then paint everything. What do you think?

The bottom half of that window (I think its the glass over signal lights) should not be glazed. Take a look at the turret picture I posted earlier. It you square off the bottom corners of the hole you drilled out I think it would be a good representation.

It is a very valid observation Glenn; I had noticed it in the few photos I had.
Honestly, what happened is that the top half got a little bigger than expected ...:rolleyes:

I went trough a couple of references for the B-24 and the glass looked like the one mostly.

These pictures are formidable W., I see that the upper half has 2 windows divided in half and one of them is red and the other transparent ... I am already seeing what I am going to do (I hope your opinions about it): :arrow::idea:

I'm going to make larger that hole, leaving a thinner frame; Then glue an acetate sheet and mark with tape what will cover and it will be that upper glass half. Even inside I previously painted that half that goes red with clear red X-27 of Tamiya ... I'm already seeing it finished in my mind ... hahaha :mrgreen:

Muchas gracias y espero tener noticias pronto. :thumbup:

Luis Carlos

Last edited:
I have found the shot that shows the light without the glass and front plate. The interior of the fairing can be seen. Also looking at the part seen in different pictures I would say the right part of the glass was of the red while the left one was clear.

B-23 tail.jpg

b-24 tail turret3.jpg

How are you guys?, I hope very well. I am taking advantage of the moment and the inspiration to realize the combination of their shared images and the way in my dreams I have seen how to realize them !!

They have been some unveiled, but I think they have been worth it. :morning:

Of all the photographs and images of the lower lights I have been able to do the replica, ... I hope you like ...

325.jpg
326.jpg
327.jpg

I have decided to make a single piece that I will put on the rail. As you can see, the piece already has its layer of Primer, I will make the detail of the bulb with a small hole, paint the bottom of each lamp with some metallic color and once dry apply the colors red, green and amber of clear Tamiya and just wait for the moment when I start the general painting of the bottom of the whole plane in that blue color. I am going to make the masts for the Marker Beacon Antenna with clip wire, but it will be when the piece is mounted under the catwalk.

This is about the tail light ...
With a round file and a flat I made the hole bigger, then on a piece of tape I marked with pencil the outline of the piece ...:crazyeyes:

328.jpg
329.jpg

Then on a sheet of acetate overlapping I copied the figure and drew a quadrant, in the vertical center I put a mast with a small piece of styrene (in several real photos you can see that white dividing frame between the red and clear glass).
And it was one of those quadrants that I painted the red color with a brush. (The dividing frame with the painted part will be inside for a better appearance)

330.jpg

After a few mistakes and failed attempts (because of the complicated part of the small dividing frame), I trimmed the piece of acetate and with a little difficulty I was able to put it in place with Tamiya Cement.

332.jpg

I'll wait until tomorrow to dry well, before trimming the excess acetate, sand the best possible and give it a good finish with a little putty, ... but that will be in another time. :exclamation:

I leave you with an overview of my workspace ...

331.jpg

Hasta pronto jóvenes ilustres :thumbup:

Great work Luis :thumbleft:

It's a very good tip Turbo (what's your name?). As required by the pieces to be joined, I do what you kindly suggest. In fact I'm thinking of doing that to paint the front bubble attached to the structure; But I think it is best to stick it with adhesive permanently and then paint everything. What do you think?

In this case my own preference would be to definitely attach the part before painting. That way any gaps can be addressed before painting and everything looks blended in. If the part is to be a different colour or have an obvious panel line I'll sometimes attach it after painting.

Cheers amigo,
Kirby

Muchas gracias caballeros por sus visitas y comentarios. :thumbright::salute::thumbleft:

Very early today I wanted to cut the acetate and it came off ... !! #-o
I did not like how it all looked, so I went back to cleaning that window of the residue of glue, I sanded the whole area and decided to make the hole a bit bigger ...

333.jpg

The window was very hurt, so after the failure of this first strategy, ... I will do it again but now I will use 3 pieces as a sandwich ...

334.jpg

The bottom piece is a bit thick styrene, the piece of acetate and a very thin piece of styrene with the window opening (I used tape on both sides to do the drilling with a drill and with a file to give the correct shape)

The central post of the window I did it longer to have better control.

335.jpg

And I red painted half the window ...

336.jpg

This time I will use the 3 pieces in larger sizes and I will attach them first and check that they stick very well and dry that bond well; Then carefully begin to reduce the size to fit almost the size of the window of the airplane, ... join it with glue, maybe reinforce it with cyanoacrylate, sand very fine this union and use a little putty if necessary. Then I show you how this laborious tail window will look (I hope it goes well) [-o<

I started to divide the machine guns to prepare the front bubble and leave what is going to remain inside.
I had an accident when I broke the barrel of machine gun 3 (when I was making the hole with the minibroca), ... I did another similar healing, and I hope it looks good, then to make the hole that was left unfinished ... The blue arrow). If it does not look good, I'll have to presage a machine gun ...[-(

337.jpg

Finally in this sequence, I have ready the front bubble pulisa and bathed in Future and tomorrow it is well dry to start applying tape.

338.jpg

Greetings and excellent weekend for all, with a lot of modeling through ...

Hasta pronto !! :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back