Contra the hatred, German war cemetry Ysselstein, Captain Timmermans

Discussion in 'WW2 General' started by Marcel, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Marcel

Marcel Well-Known Member

Bioinformatician
    #1 Marcel, Aug 28, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
    Because of the discussion here: http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/wwii-videos/retribution-germans-war-graphic-everone-43797.html, I thought a counter message was necessary. I think we from the generations after the war can learn from the creation of the German cemetry Yselstein and especially from the one who maintained it for many years.

Ysselstein is a huge cemetry. more than 31,000 german soldiers are burried there. To compare, the biggest warcemetry for Americans here in The Netherlands is Margraten, where 8,300 US soldiers rest. I found this story about Captain Timmermans on 'Traces of war' and I found it very inspiring. I think we all could learn a lesson here.

• Like Like x 4
  2. mikewint

mikewint Well-Known Member

Retired and living on the dole
    Marcel as I posted some time ago in that thread:
    Never take your own revenge, beloved, but leave room for the wrath of God, for it is written, "VENGEANCE IS MINE, I WILL REPAY," says the Lord. "BUT IF YOUR ENEMY IS HUNGRY, FEED HIM, AND IF HE IS THIRSTY, GIVE HIM A DRINK; FOR IN SO DOING YOU WILL HEAP BURNING COALS ON HIS HEAD." Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

• Like Like x 2
  3. DerAdlerIstGelandet

DerAdlerIstGelandet Der Crew Chief
    Staff Member Moderator

A&P - Aircraft Technician
    #3 DerAdlerIstGelandet, Aug 28, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
    Thanks for sharing Marcel. Your wisdom and compassion makes you a great friend and human being.

Both of my Grandfathers served in WW2. One was in the Wehrmacht (served in the French Campaign and then the East Front). The other was a US soldier and landed in Normandy on D-Day. Interestingly they both became friends post war after my parents met. My mother has shown me pics of them enjoying a beer and laughing and sharing stories. I only wish they had not died when I was so young.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Marcel

Marcel Well-Known Member

Bioinformatician
    #4 Marcel, Aug 29, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
    Thanks Chris, likewise, although I resent the "wisedom" part :lol:

Ysselsteyn by the way is a special place. You know that they didn't put the units on the crosses so as not to provoke anything? They were afraid that some resentment against certain units would trigger vandalism. On this cemetry, all military, SS or Wehrmacht are treated the same. And it is quite a sobering sight:
    friedhof.jpg

5. tomo pauk

tomo pauk Creator of Interesting Threads

Thanks for this, Marcel. Hopefully one day the similar story will be created on these territories :\

• Bacon Bacon x 1
  6. Marcel

Marcel Well-Known Member

Bioinformatician
    Every country has it's own captains Timmerman. He was a unique guy, but there are many that are as unique as he was. It's most probably that stories like this happend at your place as wel,, but never became widely known. The problem is that angry people shout loudest, thus get the most attention. But if we ever want peace, we'll need examples like this