Coronavirus Thread

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Italy report, 5 pm CEST 30th April
cases 205,463, +1,872, deaths 27,967, +285, recovered 75,945, +4,693, active cases 101,551, -3,106, tests 1,979,217, +68,456
fatality rate 13.6%
mortality rate 464 per million
test rate 32.8 per thousand
positive rate 10.4%
test rate today 1,135 per million
positive rate today 2.7%

How is it that the richest nation on earth can be getting this so wrong?

Is it? I think your looking at the wrong number. Earlier threads explained why the US would have higher total cases and deaths. You should go back and read them. The number that is more comparative is deaths per million because that actually adjusts for population differences between nations. Here is a list of those:

Confirmed deaths(absolute) Population (in millions) Deaths per million
Belgium 7,501 11.42 656.71
Spain 24,275 46.72 519.54
Italy 27,682 60.43 458.07
United Kingdom 26,097 66.49 392.5
France 24,121 66.99 360.08
Netherlands 4,711 17.23 273.4
Ireland 1,190 4.85 245.18
Sweden 2,462 10.18 241.77
Switzerland 1,716 8.52 201.49
United States 60,908 327.17 186.17

Sorry the chart did not translate. Numbers are from Statista.

Last edited:
Death rates are only a part of the story though. One has to look at the entire picture. Sorry but everything from our response time, to the organization of our response, to the way we are handling it has been a joke. I know, I know, certain ideological followers continue to deny this, but facts are facts. Incompetence has reared its ugly head here.

And you are the arbiter of which facts are facts. Thanks big brother.

I don't know who you may be directing the snark towards, but it's an opinion that needs to be dealt with.

Expertise and knowledge are earned attributes. It would seem that you're suggesting that somebody like Jenny McCarthy should be given equal weight concerning what the facts are about vaccines as, say, Dr Birx and the opinion of a random political pundit on, say, atmospheric physics and radiative heat transfer, should be given as much weight as someone who has earned a PhD in the subject.

Something like a PhD or an MD isn't handed out in a candy store; they're earned after years of rigorous and highly examined work that has to meet criteria settled upon by decades of effort by thousands of people.

Last edited:
[
Evidence and data are the facts; opinion is just that. Expertise and knowledge are earned attributes. While I don't claim to be an arbiter of facts, I would argue that somebody like Jenny McCarthy should not be given equal weight concerning what the facts are about vaccines as, say, Dr Birx, nor should the opinion of somebody whose highest educational achievement is an MBA be given equal weight on questions of atmospheric physics than someone with a PhD in the subject.

I did not address that statement to you and I edited that post because it would have been non-productive. I agree with everything you said. Experts in a field are given the benefit of the doubt because of the earned attributes you identified, but evidence and data do not stand alone, they are interpreted. In many areas, this causes experts to reach different conclusions or even to disagree with one another. Even experts can possess biases and agendas that shape their interpretation of evidence. The simple choice of which data or information you are giving greater weight to reflects a bias that may be conscious or unconscious.

A local neurologist, who has recently retired (I went to him for migraines; my wife after a stroke) has said that nothing he's heard of in several decades of practicing medicine cured so many things as marijuana derivatives.

I have a good friend whose daughter has an inoperable brain tumor. It causers her to have seizures. The doctors tried several medications to no avail. She is now prescribed medicinal marijuana and her seizures are now in check.

A local neurologist, who has recently retired (I went to him for migraines; my wife after a stroke) has said that nothing he's heard of in several decades of practicing medicine cured so many things as marijuana derivatives.

The list of useful treatments is growing. Some people with chronic pain that would have to take debilitating opioids can be effectively treated with medical marijuana.

We're now at the point where there is serious concern that the increase in suicide rate due to economic effects will be worse than the virus itself.

We're now at the point where there is serious concern that the increase in suicide rate due to economic effects will be worse than the virus itself.

I think that is big problem. The economy is obviously in very big trouble. People are losing their careers. There needs to be a balance between mitigating the risk posed to people, and that of the economy. The question is who decides what is more important. I guess that depends on who you ask.

B.C.s numbers after 100 days.

1588287967924.png

1588288000915.png

I personally believe this person deserves most or all the credit for how things are transpiring in the province and possibly saving a lot of lives. Unlike a lot of places in the world, no one is doubting her call. When this is all over and done with, she deserves a long holiday and a knighthood

1588288153592.png

Her credentials...https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/dr-bonnie-henry-profile-1.5531167

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back