Coronavirus Thread

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was on a flight (Teesside to Amsterdam) Security took the pilots aftershave off him as it was more than 200cl. No one was sure how to take it since if he wanted to crash the plane he doesn't need any sort of device at all. They were the biggest bunch of pricks ever assembled in one airport. Threatened my daughter with not flying if she didn't remove her cap, before she had chance to remove the cap. Poor kid was terrified.

They were the biggest bunch of pricks ever assembled in one airport.
I have medications I have to take daily, and when I started with the airline it was never an issue, as flight crews by passed security. About the time I made Captain, they started sending us through with the passengers, and I got grilled (right in front of the passengers, no less) as to what those pills and liquids were, what diseases they treated, who prescribed them, how come I was flying if I was diseased, and finally how could I prove my medical waivers weren't counterfeit. All this from a bunch of pre-TSA minimum wage security twits. They wound up turning us over to Airport Police who called my company and told them to cancel the flight and send another crew to retrieve the plane, because this crew wasn't going anywhere. My FO and I sat there on hold until 9AM when the FAA Regional Offices opened and they could confirm we were legit. My FO got a thorough going over in the meantime, as she was 25, looked about 15, and didn't have a particularly respectful attitude toward these dweebs. These guys were convinced they'd caught a couple imposters. I'm with you, pbehn.
Cheers,
Wes

Exactly how I feel about airport security, I just tell them I havnt a bomb or gun and they say "have a nice flight sir" and wave me through.

Yep and often the machines are turned down to ignore everything. My wife has metal in both hips, one shoulder and one ankle so should set the machines off every time. It is amazing how often they do not detect her metal inserts.

My last trip to PNG, I got explosives tested every airport I went through - both directions.

There's no way it's random, expecially when the security person told one of the crew to come through the gate after me...

Yes to that tho I think BNE and POM check about every third person some days.

One trip out of CNS in 2009 there were just three of us on a post maintenance flight and all company employees. We carried not only our baggage but also the aircraft's emergency kit. The !@#$%^&*I(O)P_+ morons confiscated the knives and flares from the kit. We cancelled the flight, got another company to install the kit - complete with new knives and flares - and departed four hours late.

I was on a flight (Teesside to Amsterdam) Security took the pilots aftershave off him as it was more than 200cl. No one was sure how to take it since if he wanted to crash the plane he doesn't need any sort of device at all. They were the biggest bunch of pricks ever assembled in one airport. Threatened my daughter with not flying if she didn't remove her cap, before she had chance to remove the cap. Poor kid was terrified.

Edinburgh is equally bad and Sydney (Aus) can be extremely obnoxious also - especially for transit passengers getting back on the same aircraft they flew in on.

I always hated going to HNL as every flight there from Australia I seemed to arrive just behind what seemed like 20 747s of Chinese tourists so the lines were very long, very slow, very noisy and most immigration stations were closed.

Our best experience was just a few days after the liquids limit started when we flew out of SFO and during check in they discovered my wife had three bottles of lens cleaner for her glasses in her carry on. The guy got her to line them up and then said touch one. He binned that one and gave the other two back.

Last edited:
I have medications I have to take daily, and when I started with the airline it was never an issue, as flight crews by passed security. About the time I made Captain, they started sending us through with the passengers, and I got grilled (right in front of the passengers, no less) as to what those pills and liquids were, what diseases they treated, who prescribed them, how come I was flying if I was diseased, and finally how could I prove my medical waivers weren't counterfeit. All this from a bunch of pre-TSA minimum wage security twits. They wound up turning us over to Airport Police who called my company and told them to cancel the flight and send another crew to retrieve the plane, because this crew wasn't going anywhere. My FO and I sat there on hold until 9AM when the FAA Regional Offices opened and they could confirm we were legit. My FO got a thorough going over in the meantime, as she was 25, looked about 15, and didn't have a particularly respectful attitude toward these dweebs. These guys were convinced they'd caught a couple imposters. I'm with you, pbehn.
Cheers,
Wes

Reminds me of a case donkeys years ago when I was still in uniform. I led a flight trials team, one member of whom was a highly experienced E-3 captain. It was the practice, for any overseas flights, that the service police would check bags prior to departure. My E-3 skipper gets in line and, like the rest of us, suffers the indignity of having a police corporal rummage through EVERYTHING. Conversation went something like this:

Corporal: "Aha!!!" (sensing he'd uncovered a heinous plot) "Sir, you can't take these nail clippers onboard."

Captain: "Why not?"

Corporal: "You could use them as a weapon and take control of the plane."

Captain: "I already have control of the plane. I'm flying the bluddy thing."

Corporal: "But, Sir, you could steal the aircraft."

Captain: "Corporal, I have the opportunity to steal an aircraft every working day of my life. I just sign the form to fly and off I go."

Corporal: "Well, I'm sorry, Sir, but rules are rules and you can't take these with you."

Captain shakes head in disbelief and walks away.

The Surgeon General of the U.S. did not come into that position by watching YouTube videos and listening to Facebook Physicians.

In my case, I have had fist-hand experience with facemask starting with my time as an assistant to my step-dad, who was the chief entomologist/vector control for the United States Navy. His office was at NWS Seal Beach and he also covered NAWS China Lake and NAD Fallbrook as well as advising at MCAS El Toro, USMC Camp Pendleton and the USN complex San Diego.
So I had to qualify for respiratory hazard coverage, which included insecticides, herbicides and biological (along with a pile of other stuff).
In the private sector, I have experience with wildlamd fire suppression, automotive bodywork (polyester resin and lead) as well as paint (acrylic lacquer and enamels) as well as fabrication - all of which require specific and often specialized filtration for respiratory protection.

So I am not talking out my ass.

In my case, I have had fist-hand experience with facemask starting with my time as an assistant to my step-dad, who was the chief entomologist/vector control for the United States Navy.
I (and I suspect, all of us) respect your experience. You're certainly no amateur. But I suggest this quirky virus requires an evolution away from the traditional mindset of self protection, especially since effectively protective masks are in short supply. We need to think of less than ideal masks as protecting others from us, and hope others behave accordingly. Every person is a potential vector and no one, no matter how "healthy" they are or appear to be is guaranteed to be non-infectious.

My wife has metal in both hips, one shoulder and one ankle so should set the machines off every time.
I used to fly with a pilot who had been shot down three times flying Slicks in Vietnam. He had permanent shrapnel in his legs and titanium in his ankles, knees, and femur, and how he could light up the metal detector! We took delays and cancelled flights because the dorks wouldn't let him on the plane. Finally the company got the FAA to sign off on an x-ray he could carry around with him to show security folks he was legit. It had his x-ray image along with his Bronze Star, Purple Heart, and a waiver signed by the regional aeromedical examiner. Problem solved.
Cheers,
Wes

Reminds me of a case donkeys years ago when I was still in uniform. I led a flight trials team, one member of whom was a highly experienced E-3 captain. It was the practice, for any overseas flights, that the service police would check bags prior to departure. My E-3 skipper gets in line and, like the rest of us, suffers the indignity of having a police corporal rummage through EVERYTHING. Conversation went something like this:

Corporal: "Aha!!!" (sensing he'd uncovered a heinous plot) "Sir, you can't take these nail clippers onboard."

Captain: "Why not?"

Corporal: "You could use them as a weapon and take control of the plane."

Captain: "I already have control of the plane. I'm flying the bluddy thing."

Corporal: "But, Sir, you could steal the aircraft."

Captain: "Corporal, I have the opportunity to steal an aircraft every working day of my life. I just sign the form to fly and off I go."

Corporal: "Well, I'm sorry, Sir, but rules are rules and you can't take these with you."

Captain shakes head in disbelief and walks away.

That is basically what everyone was thinking. If security do have issues with the pilot then let me know what they are because in 30 minutes time he will be in control behind a locked door.

The Surgeon General of the U.S. did not come into that position by watching YouTube videos and listening to Facebook Physicians.

In my case, I have had fist-hand experience with facemask starting with my time as an assistant to my step-dad, who was the chief entomologist/vector control for the United States Navy. His office was at NWS Seal Beach and he also covered NAWS China Lake and NAD Fallbrook as well as advising at MCAS El Toro, USMC Camp Pendleton and the USN complex San Diego.
So I had to qualify for respiratory hazard coverage, which included insecticides, herbicides and biological (along with a pile of other stuff).
In the private sector, I have experience with wildlamd fire suppression, automotive bodywork (polyester resin and lead) as well as paint (acrylic lacquer and enamels) as well as fabrication - all of which require specific and often specialized filtration for respiratory protection.

No one said you were talking out of your ass, just that you were cherry picking (Don't worry we are all guilty of it) Same with the surgeon general. Is he highly qualified? Of course, but he also is there to push agenda. The agenda should be obvious to everyone at this point.

Over the years you should have learned that I have nothing but respect for you. That does not mean I will agree with you on everything. Your stance on this virus is one of those things. Keeping that in mind, that does not mean I would not bye you a beer any day of the week... ;)

But only if you are social distancing... :D

Last edited:
The advice getting in UK is contradictory so no idea what going on.

One minute told it's the plague and next minute off to work you go.

Okey dokey then.

Today in the house of commons, "Could the prime minister give a reason for these unexplained deaths" from the leader of the opposition.

Today in the house of commons, "Could the prime minister give a reason for these unexplained deaths" from the leader of the opposition.
Doh !

Also big news is UK economy shrank by 2% worst drop since 2008 !
No shit Sherlock, government spending 8 billion a month just to support furloughed workers, never mind all the other financial aid going on, not like it was unexpected

Italy report, 13th May 5 pm CEST
cases 222,104, +888, deaths 31,106, +195, recovered 112,541, +3,502, active cases 78,457, -2,809, tests 2,735,628, +61,973
fatality rate 14%
mortality rate 516 per million
test rate 45.4 per thousand
positive rate 8.1%
total case rate 3,682 per million
active case rate 1,301 per million
test rate today 1,027 per million
positive rate today 1.4%
new case rate today 15 per million

I applied for and will receive my income support grant as a self employed person. It is equivalent to 80% of my monthly profit for three months, based on my last three years tax returns. I'm basically being paid to stay at home for three months, and the money is very welcome. According to HMR&C it will be transferred to my bank account within 6 days.

It's not all bad!

Cheers

Steve

I received the Canadian version. Unfortunately they paid me for the time I was still working and now have to pay it back. I've finally got a number for how much I can keep but it'll have to wait until I get out of camp next week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back