Coronavirus Thread (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I question the people dumb enough to wait in a burger king drive thru traffic jam.

Fools gotta fool... :D
Here, the company that owns BK went into receivership :) meanwhile once they were able to trade again, the queues were ridiculous.

But, 7 weeks after we went into lockdown, we're into our 'new normal': Keep at least 1m away from people, and record where you go and when, and who you interact with.

We've had three consecutive days with no new cases, so fingers crossed...

But seven weeks after we went into lockdown, we're into the 'new normal': Keep at least 1m away from people, record where you go and when, and who you interact with.

We've had three consecutive days with no new cases, so fingers crossed...
Now if the whole world could behave like that for a long enough period of time, maybe we could lick this thing once and for all. Fat chance!

Last edited:
Now if the whole world could behave like that for a long enough period of time, maybe we could lick this thing once and for all. Fat chance!

I think its too late for some countries to have an effective lockdown. 7 weeks was starting to lose to goodwill of the public here, and the required length of lockdown in the US or UK would be months longer.

the thing is it should be done in a careful and planned manner, which is usually too much to ask for in many democracies.
True. Part of the reason countries like South Korea and Germany have had relatively low impacts from this virus is because they have relatively more disciplined populations, more willing to accept the obvious facts, and less prone to ideological disputes and insurrectionist rhetoric about personal freedom.
Now we have people saying that those who are retired or about to retire (too late to change careers) should accept lower than promised or delayed retirements because the politicians couldn't manage the retirement funds properly and it will be too much burden on the young folk.
We're headed for a much less efficient society, one that can't afford the financial burdens of supporting non-productive populations. During the industrial revolution/gilded age when our society was at its most efficient and amassed the greatest portion of the industrial, technical, and financial capital it's been coasting on ever since, there was a much more utilitarian view of human life. People were as productive as they could be for as long as they could be, then died soon after, unless they had the financial resources to support retirement. This, and keeping the working class poverty stricken, freed up more resources to fuel economic growth.
Clearly this is not a desirable model, but it could be in our future if we don't get it right.
Cheers,
Wes

and the required length of lockdown in the US or UK would be months longer.
You're a bit optimistic, I think. As long as we have defiant non-cooperators, aided and abetted from the highest level of government, lockdown will be cyclic and eternal. We're going to have to learn to live with it, and the US risks turning from a world leader into a world outcast.

You're a bit optimistic, I think. As long as we have defiant non-cooperators, aided and abetted from the highest level of government, lockdown will be cyclic and eternal. We're going to have to learn to live with it, and the US risks turning from a world leader into a world outcast.

Risk? We are well on our way in more ways than one.

Risk? We are well on our way in more ways than one.
Make
America
Gefahrlich
Again!

"ICAO designates US as "unsafe" for international air travel, and prohibits member countries from providing air service there. US carriers denied international operations due to Coronavirus risk."

"Protestors show up at anti-lockdown rallies in tactical gear and carrying assault rifles."

Last edited:
I think your idea of 'free' and the rest of the world's idea of free is somewhat different...
Yes, the rest of the world has a more responsible interpretation of the word than our vocal headline makers do!

Yes, the rest of the world has a more responsible interpretation of the word than our vocal headline makers do!

I think the idea is the same, but its the consequences of our responses to what we consider our freedoms as individuals that is open to question. We don't seem to recognise that everything has consequences.

its the consequences of our responses to what we consider our freedoms as individuals that is open to question. We don't seem to recognise that everything has consequences.
"To hell with the consequences! They're part of the cost of freedom. Not my problem! Get outta my face!"
Seems to be the way too many people think.

The price of freedom has been paid by those on the frontlines either in combat during war or those who died from treating those with the virus.. As for the rest of them, they can suck a long hairy fat one . If any one is offended by my feelings, then suck it with them. I pray that no one in my family or any of my friends become infected since I realize all too well what this d@mn virus will mean. This thing doesn't give a sh!t what your politics or philosophy is, it will kill all the same with no exceptions. Politics be d&mned since I would like to live long enough to give my "Bark Angels" a good life while I can and would like to out live them so that they can be properly attended to after they pass.

Minnesota report, May 14
cases 13,435**, recovered 9,136, hospitalized 1,915, deaths 663**/**, tested 128,752*/**
fatality rate 5.3%
mortality rate 116.3 per million
test rate 22.6 per thousand*
*Test kits and reagents are becoming more available, and Minnesota's ability to test has just passed 5,000 people/day. Testing of the general population is beginning in small numbers.
**The measures used by Minnesota have reduced the rate of spread significantly, however our rate of spread (reflected by the 'curve') now appears to be increasing again. In theory this is at least partly (largely?) due to the increased rate of testing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back