Coronavirus Thread

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
on income support, also for the new "Reddito di emergenza" emergency income, i'm out, i've no income but i'm too rich...
however they give 600 euros to autonomous/freelance workers also if they income are not hit

Mean while, Fresno makes national news because protesters act like third world idiots. I'm no big fan of the local lock down but I'm also 70 years old with an under lying heart condition which places me in the high risk group. Infections and deaths are still on the rise here in the Central Valley but there will always be some pee brains [that was no misspelling because they have pee for brains] who don't care who they may expose and kill.

Minnesota report, May 12
cases 12,913**, recovered XXXX, hospitalized 1,799, deaths 614**, tested 118,518*/**
fatality rate 4.8%
mortality rate 107.7 per million
test rate 20.8 per thousand*
<
<
Minnesota report, May 13
cases 12,917**, recovered 8,787, hospitalized 1,851, deaths 638**, tested 122,035*/**
fatality rate 4.9%
mortality rate 111.9 per million
test rate 21.4 per thousand*
*Test kits and reagents are becoming more available, and Minnesota's ability to test has just passed 5,000 people/day. Testing of the general population is beginning in small numbers.
**The measures used by Minnesota have reduced the rate of spread significantly, however our rate of spread (reflected by the 'curve') now appears to be increasing again. In theory this is at least partly (largely?) due to the increased rate of testing. HOWEVER, from May 2 to May 11, the new hospitalization rate slowly increased from 118/day to 199/day.

NOTE: There was a significant change in how New Cases/Recovered Cases/Tested numbers are recorded. Because of this change, the numbers for May 12-13 are incomplete and somewhat non-representative relative to each other and to the numbers from previous dates.

there will always be some pee brains [that was no misspelling because they have pee for brains] who don't care who they may expose and kill.
Some of the younger generation around here gleefully refer to this pandemic as "the great boomer remover".
"They f_ _ked up this world for us to live in, and now they're using up and wearing out Social Security and Medicare so there won't be any for us when we need it. F_ _k'em! Hope they all die off!"

Last edited:
Comparisons are also being drawn to a war situation; we are under attack by an invisible enemy. However, if the we were under attack by a visible, physical enemy, young people would be sent out defend us, risking losing their lives some 70 or 80 years too early.

That is a major difference to this situation, where every contingent is made to safeguard those who have lived 70 or 80+ years.
I can understand if young people might feel some frustration.

I see that early days people were ok with it.

Now boredom has set in and the lockdown is getting less suppprt.

The downsides in mental health or domestic abuse or financial meltdown are starting to out way the benefits of lockdown which is mainly for the benefit of a small group of society.

Them plenty of conspiracy theories and all sorts going on plus the bizarre advice we reciveing from British Government which is contradictory in nature.

So that leaves me in the position of not knowing anything and being bored at same time. And the Scottish Government is saying something else.

Fantastic.

People buy lottery tickets which prove that the general population have no concept of probabilities.

Technically I have no reference point apart from the contradictory Government advice and the loons who either want armed insurrection or we should be isolated for years.

It's just a giant mess with no answer.

It would silly to have a lockdown for a month or 2 and then back to normal.

Either it is or it ain't and it looks as though the fear of the economy tanking will take precedence over health concerns

on income support, also for the new "Reddito di emergenza" emergency income, i'm out, i've no income but i'm too rich...
however they give 600 euros to autonomous/freelance workers also if they income are not hit

For the self employed in the UK the income support has been limited to a maximum of £7,500 for the first three months. Given that the sum we receive is based on 80% of profit over the last three years there will be some self employed who will hit that limit. Nonetheless it is a significant sum and is intended to keep you in business until you can begin trading again, not pay to keep your wife in a manner to which she is not accustomed!
Cheers
Steve

Italy report, 4th May 5 pm CEST
cases 223,096, + 992, deaths 31,368, +262, recovered 115,288, +2,747, active cases 76,440, -2,017, tests 2,807,504, +71,876
fatality rate 14.1%
mortality rate 520 per million
test rate 46.5 per thousand
positive rate 7.9%
total case rate 3,699 per million
active case rate 1,267 per million
test rate today 1,192 per million
positive rate today 1.4%
new case rate today 16 per million

I just did a quick trawl through today's headlines, and, sure enough, the narrative is changing.

The scare stories are now notably absent. Those suggesting the vulnerability of young people are completely absent, probably due to considerable resistance to the planned re-opening of schools on June 1. We now have headlines about A&E (accident and emergency) attendance being at a record low and people dying due to postponed cancer treatments.

This is the UK, we have a free press, but to imagine that sections of it do not promote the government narrative would be naïve.

It would silly to have a lockdown for a month or 2 and then back to normal.

Either it is or it ain't and it looks as though the fear of the economy tanking will take precedence over health concerns.
What we need is a new normal. This thing isn't going away anytime soon, and we'll never again be able to operate in the ways we've become used to.
It's time we all climbed out of the conceptual holes we've dug ourselves into, and start working to develop a new sustainable economy that can function long-term under the social restraints this virus (and others yet to come) will be imposing on us indefinitely.
The British surrendered at Yorktown to the strains of a then-popular tune: "The World Turned Upside Down", a sentiment we must learn to embrace in this time. There's no going back to life as we knew it; it's not sustainable in the new reality. All else is wishful thinking and wilful disregard of the facts. Get used to it.
Cheers,
Wes

That is a major difference to this situation, where every contingent is made to safeguard those who have lived 70 or 80+ years.
I can understand if young people might feel some frustration.
And I sympathize with their perspective. My generation (boomers) has been the single most destructive demographic (economically, environmentally, socially, and morally) in the sorry history of mankind, and have earned the enmity sometimes displayed to us by younger folk.
If we as a species continue to insist on populating ourselves away from the dinner table, we're going to have to forgo some of the luxuries we've become accustomed to, such as a long and comfortable retirement, or a "safety net" to prevent the less fortunate from littering the street with unsightly corpses.

Well you want a new normal?

A Burger King drive thru opened up and the traffic jams were horrendous.

So much for common sense and logic.

Fools gotta fool.

I was slightly amused by an announcement here in the UK today.
Four months ago, the Government were advising "Use public transport, to reduce pollution. Leave the car at home, or if you can't use public transport, look at car sharing".
Today, it's "Avoid public transport, use your car " !

the thing is it should be done in a careful and planned manner, which is usually too much to ask for in many democracies. I am a retired Firefighter, I made my money from the tax payer.
I took the pay that was offered (often grudgingly) knowing that I probably could have made more in private industry, for the job security and the retirement package.
Now we have people saying that those who are retired or about to retire (too late to change careers) should accept lower than promised or delayed retirements because the politicians could manage the retirement funds properly and it will be too much burden on the young folk. Guess what, If they can yank the promised (read contracted as in signed) retirement benefits from people who worked 20-40 years for them what makes the young people think the same group of bozos will keep their new promises.?
You want to change the social structure? fine, but do it slow enough that people have time to plan career changes or strategies.

In America you get a major tax deduction for interest paid on a house mortgage, In Australia you don't (or didn't) so In America people take out 30 year mortgages and pay more to banks and try for the tax deduction. In Australia they pay the mortgage off as fast a possible (often a 15 year loan to begins with) so when retirement comes the house in much more likely to be paid off. Won't even go into the difference in health care except to say that in Australia everybody gets at least some sort of basic care.

Everything has to fit together as a system. Changing just a few things can really upset the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread