Coronavirus Thread

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
We can take the official Chinese figures at face value or not. The Chinese government is stating that the total number of confirmed cases is just under 90,000, some sources in China reckon that number should be 640,000.

We have no way of knowing which is more accurate.

We know some countries are definitely under reporting, several in central and south America for example. Russian figures look a bit dubious too, but again, dubious and provably false are not the same thing.

In the UK every death which has Covid-19 mentioned on either portion of the death certificate is recorded as a coronavirus death, wherever it occurs. My wife recently held a service for someone who died at home, having been sent home from palliative care in a hospice to do just that. The death certificate mentioned Covid-19, but her family, rightly in my opinion, do not believe this was the cause of death. She was NOT tested. The lady died primarily from a lung cancer for which she had been treated for the last 18 months and from which she was terminally ill.

Minnesota report, May 17
cases 15,668**, recovered 10,897, hospitalized 2,090, deaths 722**, tested 150,605*/**
fatality rate 4.6%
mortality rate 126.7 per million
test rate 26.4 per thousand*
*Test kits and reagents are becoming more available, and Minnesota's ability to test is now more than 7,000 people/day. Testing of the general population is beginning in small numbers.
**The measures used by Minnesota have reduced the rate of spread significantly, however, our rate of spread (reflected by the death rate 'curve') appears to be steady.

As of today, ~26% of the 70+ age group who contracted COVID-19 have died. Of the 60-69 age group ~5% have died. Of the 40-49 age group ~1.5% have died. 98% of all fatalities had underlying pre-existing conditions.

The international agreement is for cases to be reported by a confirmed case in a hospital. If you don't test anyone you have no cases.

Certain media outlets and people keep saying the same thing here in the US, usually in another conspiracy attempt to downplay the seriousness of the virus. Yet one can argue that the numbers are understated as well.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wa...virus-deaths-are-undercounted/?outputType=amp

Most likely I would think with some that in the end the numbers even themselves out, and largely are about what is being reported in places like the US and England.

Take the US as well. There are large swaths of area not reporting a single case or death. When you look at testing in those areas, there was virtually none due to a lack of available testing. This too contributed to lower numbers at first.

As I stated further, the numbers probably even themselves out.

Also many rural places have less overall cases due to the sparsity of the population, but also people in such areas are less likely to be tested as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread