Coronavirus Thread (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 people who travelled from the UK to NZ for a funeral...
And we'll continue to get these cases. Although we've closed our borders, we can't keep NZ citizens out.
Yes, give compassionate exemptions to the quarantine, but why did they not do testing before letting them go on their way? I got my results back in a little over 24 hours.

And apparently they weren't going to the funeral, just visiting a family member, who, I assume was dying.

Last edited:
Minnesota report, June 15
cases 30,693, recovered 26,609, hospitalized 3,630, deaths 1,304*, tested 422,922
fatality rate 4.2%
mortality rate 228.8 per million
test rate 74.2 per thousand
<
<
Minnesota report, June 16
cases 30,882, recovered 27,006, hospitalized 3,658, deaths 1,313*, tested 429,145
fatality rate 4.3%
mortality rate 230.4 per million
test rate 75.3 per thousand

*The system that Minnesota uses to report the COVID-19 statistics listed above has a lag in it of upto 3 days in some cases. An example is over the weekend when there is reduced staffing for testing logistics and processing. This lag is represented in the above reported number of deaths for June 15 (originally 6 deaths, edited to 16) and 16 (currently 9 deaths, not yet including additional probables), with an additional 31 deaths probably due to COVID-19 that have not yet had their tests processed. These additional deaths are sometimes edited into the original number, but are usually included over the next 2-3 days. Hence there is usually a low death rate reported for the first 2 days of the work week and a higher number for days 3&4, causing a weekly mini-wave pattern.

Addition to Minnesota report, June 16

The rate of spread for Minnesota appears to have reached a plateau (at least temporarily), and we may be on the downward side of the 'curve'. The average rate of new cases (even with the increased rate of testing) has remained about the same over the last 2 1/2 weeks, and the average rate of new hospitalizations has been decreasing steadily.

I disagree, emphatically.
As with "Chinese Corona Virus", "Wuhan" remembers whence it arose, and does not name nor suggest a race, for emphasis positive or negative.
"Kung Flu" is a pun/malaprop.
Methinks the Princess of PC doth protest too much.
And I disagree emphatically with you. Wuhan is where WE first became aware of it. It may have arisen there, or in some weapons lab somewhere, or in a southeast Asian jungle or Siberian forest or Mongolian bat cave. The jury is still out.
Methinks the Princess of PC doth protest in too soft a voice, as too many seem not to hear, and need to.

It may have arisen there, or in some
Wuhan in Hubei is all I've been able to find as the first point of infection. If you have better data, please share. If what you have is speculation for the purpose of synthetic assertion, it's wasted air/electrons.
Methinks the Princess of PC doth protest in too soft a voice, as too many seem not to hear, and need to.
I do not have any such need.

Does that mean every person that uses the term MERS is being anti-Semitic?
To pick nits, anti-semitic usually connotes anti-Hebrew (now anti-Jew); MERS affected mostly Arab peoples in the Middle East. I don't know of any Israeli, or of any Jewish, patient/victim of the disease.
To pick another nit, the Arab people are most descendants of Shem, and so are Semitic people (that being the origin of the term Semitic).

It must be remembered that during the Middle Ages when most of Europe was being ravaged by the Plague, the Jews were the only ones not being effected as much because they kept their homes and bodies clean. It did lead to some people becoming Anti-semitic since many of the suvivors mistakenly thought that Jewish people had something to do with the disease. It is even more important with this virus to practice good hygiene, social distancing, and mask wearing if we wish to live.Here in California the infection rate is still rising and I'm still keeping myself in basic lock down to stay healthy.

Yes, I know how it is commonly used and I know its original meaning which included both Jews and/or Arabs. Hence, my question about a disease named after a region of the world (Middle East) populated by people that speak Semitic languages. Does the name MERS demean or oppress these people? Does the name Lyme Disease demean or oppress the people of Connecticut? How about West Nile Virus or other diseases named after places where the pathogens were identified, are they racist?

Before this thread drifts to far a question for gnomey .
Have any of the much touted potential miracle drugs lived up to there media hype in any noticeable way or are clinical outcomes still about the same as at the start ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread