Coronavirus Thread

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

Two sources. Both carried out in testing against the influenza viruses. I doubt a process that provides very low protection against the influenza virus will magically kill the Covid-19 virus and there is no evidence on promedmail.org from the International Society for Infectious Diseases that any testing has been carried out specific to Covid-19. Your quote above is the first I have seen that suggests that washing your hands in saline is not effective against Covid-19.

The article on salt water is purely for hand washing. It does not suggest in any way that rinsing your mouth or nose with saline will be of any benefit. Does your quote apply to using salt water to wash hands or using water to gargle or irrigate your nose as these are two very different processes.

EDIT - the two links below are not showing as links on my computer but they are acting as links.

Situations Leading to Reduced Effectiveness of Current Hand Hygiene against Infectious Mucus from Influenza Virus-Infected Patients

Towards Better Hand Hygiene for Flu Prevention

As Vincenzo says these articles are talking of flu virus in mucus, not of corona virus in droplet but the virus in the mucus and virus in the droplet will both resist disinfection in a similar manner and until someone publishes a paper in a respected medical journal or website that is specific to this coronavirus it is the best information available.

Last edited:
Australia's She'll be right government in action.

Most overseas countries limit groups to between 5 and 50 people - Australia started with a limit of 300 and within hours changed it UP to 500.

'That's rubbish': Expert hits out at Government's COVID-19 response on Q+A

Of course this is the Prime Minister who refused to talk to the large group of fire experts last October who were clamouring for a meeting with him because it was so evident to them that we were headed for a horror fire season. Then he had the gall to say nobody told me.

There are none so ill informed as those who refuse to meet with those that know.

Cant be that bad, the Jebus people support the guy, and they are the nicest, informed and most moral and ethical people around...

Cases in the Southamerican countries that actually do some testing doubled or nearly tripled overnight, most enacted EU-style shutdowns over the weekend, here we go...

...except in Brazil, they are following the US in their "nothing to see here" defense in spite of having sick people in their own govt cabinet.

true the actual number of infected is higher
if is true that in Italy we had tested less of south Korea, 138k vs 275k, but had tested much more of UK, 45k
imho 20 to 50 times higher is too high for Italy

true the actual number of infected is higher
if is true that in Italy we had tested less of south Korea, 138k vs 275k, but had tested much more of UK, 45k
imho 20 to 50 times higher is too high for Italy
The tests used at present only tell if an infected person is infected, so if you don't actually have the Covid 19 infection at the time it doesn't show, even if you have had it, it is pointless testing people who are not showing symptoms.

It's NOT about the fatality rate, it's the hospitalisation rate. If your hospitals are overwhelmed, then other survivable medical events suddenly become fatal.
Had a car accident? Sorry, no room at the ER
Had a heart attack? Sorry, no doctors available to see you now, come back tomorrow.

The tests used at present only tell if an infected person is infected, so if you don't actually have the Covid 19 infection at the time it doesn't show, even if you have had it, it is pointless testing people who are not showing symptoms.

i'm not sure of understand you, but if you tell that symptomless people test are negative this is wrong, a Vo (a venetian municipality in the original red zone) most of EDIT "tested" positive are symptomless

Last edited:
i'm not sure of understand you, but if you tell that symptomless people test are negative this is wrong, a Vo (a venetian municipality in the original red zone) most of positive are symptomless
Discussed today by the CMO in UK tests at present are unreliable for antibodies. I know Vo, I worked for years in Dalmine near Bergamo.

Sorry, but that is the difference between Korea and Italy, Koreans tested anyone suspect of contact with a symptomatic person, Italy only tested the sick, at least at first, so Korea was able to identify and stop asymptomatic people from going around spreading the disease while, well, half the world is now under quarantine because we only tested people who showed symptoms when most actually didnt.

Italy had particular problems, it has a large Chinese community who went home for the Chinese new year, the North of Italy is a big holiday area for skiing at this time of year, oh and Italy being in the EU means it doesn't really have any control of people going in and out. The first cases reported in UK either came from China or Italy on holiday.

The Chinese community in Italy is around 300k is smaller that in France or UK, in Italy there are not (or better was not some days ago) infected from chinese with exclusion of the first 3 sick, 2 chinese tourist and one italian back from Wuhan but these have not spread the infection. The infection was spread in Codogno from a italian, virus analyses show this was a derivative of that of a german manager

I would love to debate that but for very good reasons religion is forbidden on this forum. Maybe the moderators will allow these two cartoons - but they may well remove them.

Oops... my bad.

Lets just say, that ANY form of intervention of ANY RELIGION in the political life of a country is dangerous. Nothing good has ever come out of that.

Remember this? Well, turns out a week later cases in Chile jumped from 75 on Sunday to 156 on Monday, who would have thought?

Current projection is 40.000 cases by April...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread