Coronavirus Thread

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Chinese community in Italy is around 300k is smaller that in France or UK, in Italy there are not (or better was not some days ago) infected from chinese with exclusion of the first 3 sick, 2 chinese tourist and one italian back from Wuhan but these have not spread the infection. The infection was spread in Codogno from a italian, virus analyses show this was a derivative of that of a german manager
Within days of the first traceable cases in the UK we were getting untraceable cases. Many more people have it without knowing than show up in the figures.

It's NOT about the fatality rate, it's the hospitalisation rate. If your hospitals are overwhelmed, then other survivable medical events suddenly become fatal.
Had a car accident? Sorry, no room at the ER
Had a heart attack? Sorry, no doctors available to see you now, come back tomorrow.

I wish more people would use their brain and get this.

Dr. Anthony Fauci of the National Institutes of Health says the United States has developed a vaccine for the coronavirus, COVID-19, in record time. Fauci made the statement at the White House update on the coronavirus. He told reporters that the first vaccine was given in Seattle on Monday.
"The vaccine candidate that was given the first injection for the first person took place today. You might recall that when we first started I said it would be two to three months and if we did that, that would be the fastest we've ever gone in obtaining the sequence to being able to do the Phase 1 trial. This has been now 65 days, which I believe is the record."

They say we are to regard this situation as a war. It appears that the IJN bombed Pearl Harbor and then their ships were all sunk by a B-29 built in Seattle dropping an atomic bomb as they entered Tokyo Bay on the return trip.

...and panic sets in........
Not really, what I had in January/February almost certainly wasn't the virus: Symptoms were fairly quickly arrested with azithromycin, something that kills bacteria, but generally doesn't do anything to viruses. Secondly, I had a chest X-ray and they didn't find any signs of pneumonia at all. I had acute bronchitis, and fever, chills, and stuff, though.

That said, fear not -- I'm rather fatigued, and don't feel like going out.

If you're an introvert nerd this is a blessing.
I'm kind of an introverted ambivert. I'm fine on my own, but social situations don't bother me a lot.

Exactly. The most extensive testing has been in South Korea and the OVERALL mortality rate is around 1%.
And that's because they probably found cases that are either asymptomatic or mild.

I don't think this story is true( although I don't know for sure of course) as they just started a covid 19 vaccine trial yesterday in the US and they said it had been in the works for I think 65 days. So timeline wise it wouldn't make much sense.
Also although I wouldn't put it past some politicians in general( not mentioning any names, parties, , or wings so as not to be political here) the incentive for the implied action makes no sense. I.e. to keep the vaccine for one country at the exclusion of the rest of the world would guarantee the person in question would be seen as a vilan worldwide, including by most in that country.

Just had an unsettling though. The vaccine, if it even works( sometimes they don't ) wont be ready for the masses for 12 to 18 months and the virus, while it may subside in the warmer weather, is unlikely to be eradicated completely. Are we going through all this again come November?

Problem is that more people may die from lack of services than from actual virus. So if they go overboard then that could cause a bigger disaster than just letting virus run its course.

The idea of everything shutting down for a year is total nonsense. No food no services no electricity no clean water no fuel no gas. Yeah that's just going to work out fine.

Just had an unsettling though. The vaccine, if it even works( sometimes they don't ) wont be ready for the masses for 12 to 18 months and the virus, while it may subside in the warmer weather, is unlikely to be eradicated completely. Are we going through all this again come November?

The UK model shows another peak in the autumn/winter of this year and into 2021, after the summer and with 'containment' released. If other countries are modelling this far ahead they are not making the results public as far as I know (happy to be corrected). Why that would be is anyone's guess.

I've pretty much resigned myself to an extremely lean year due to the nature of my business which involves crowds, the larger the better. I can take it, but some of my younger friends and colleagues, many with young families, mortgages etc. will be in for a tough time. Daughter number one's partner is a DJ/producer and already much of his live work in the near future has been cancelled. Radio fees (he is a regular with Craig Charles) will not support a family. The live work is his principle income stream, meaning they are now a one income family with very young children and a mortgage to pay. They are extremely fortunate that they will be able to depend on family support (from both sides) if push really does come to shove. They will not find themselves on the street, with their house in the hands of a bank, nor with a mountain of debt. Many families, through absolutely no fault of their own, are not in such a position.

There are some very difficult times ahead.

Tough for everyone. As a retiree, I'm sitting here watching a major source of my income for the next 25 years shrink by 35% since all this started. And it's far from over.

I don't think this story is true( although I don't know for sure of course) as they just started a covid 19 vaccine trial yesterday in the US and they said it had been in the works for I think 65 days. So timeline wise it wouldn't make much sense.
Also although I wouldn't put it past some politicians in general( not mentioning any names, parties, , or wings so as not to be political here) the incentive for the implied action makes no sense. I.e. to keep the vaccine for one country at the exclusion of the rest of the world would guarantee the person in question would be seen as a vilan worldwide, including by most in that country.

To have a cure to sell is good, to have all the cures for sale is better if you want to squeeze money off sick people, it is very simple... and old.

If all you care about is money and have mindless unconditional followers, who cares about perception?

Moreover, if you own the cure everyone has no choice but to buy, hate you or not.

Our government made their strategy clear. They want to build a 'buffer' of resistant people, by letting the virus slowly circulate through the less vulnerable people (my interpretation of their words). The idea is that they need 60% of the population to be immune in order to protect the vulnerable people.
By my calculation: That means that 70% of the dutch people should get the virus. Given that around 20% of the infected people need intensive care, it means that around 2 million people should be hospitalized over the course of the epidemic. Given the amount of the available beds, it means that they are counting on a duration of 2 years for this epidemic.

OMG!

Actually it is, the German Government confirmed it. I will save the political discussion for Facebook.

Our government made their strategy clear. They want to build a 'buffer' of resistant people, by letting the virus slowly circulate through the less vulnerable people (my interpretation of their words). The idea is that they need 60% of the population to be immune in order to protect the vulnerable people.
By my calculation: That means that 70% of the dutch people should get the virus. Given that around 20% of the infected people need intensive care, it means that around 2 million people should be hospitalized over the course of the epidemic. Given the amount of the available beds, it means that they are counting on a duration of 2 years for this epidemic.

OMG!

The UK government estimates nearly 8 million may require hospitalisation in the next 12-14 months, which far exceeds capacity. The lowest estimates for deaths caused directly by the virus are in excess of 300,000. If the health system is overwhelmed then there will obviously be further deaths caused indirectly by the virus.

Obviously all governments are hoping for an effective vaccine, which will just produce the much misunderstood herd immunity without a large section (70%-80%) of the population having to develop immunity by surviving infection.

If the virus follows the path of similar organisms it will evolve to have a lower mortality rate naturally. For reasons not yet properly understood it already produces relatively mild symptoms in the majority of people infected. In the UK one premiership footballer (an obviously fit young man) reckoned he was feeling fine a few days after his infection was confirmed. He wasn't allowed out of isolation though! I suppose he can spend his time counting his money :)

Actually it is, the German Government confirmed it. I will save the political discussion for Facebook.
Well if it is true that would be really disturbing. I would think it would be the moral imperative for whatever country comes up eith a vaccine to share it with the world free of charge or at the very least free of profit( at cost). Doesn't make sense to me......but then so many thing don't.

this morning we had a lady call the hotel to ask exactly what we were doing to prevent herself and her husband who are both over 70 from getting Covid-19 when they arrive tonight for their short break !

pretty sure the government told you its important to stay at home if your in an at risk group.

we are doing all we can to stay open and follow procedures to lower the risk of passing anything on but if your going to ignore medical advice, your putting yourself at risk.

i am shitting bricks that i have a job to go to in a few weeks time and we dont have a shut down, financial help that is getting talked about now, will not even pay our rent never mind household bills etc.

very worried right now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back