Coronavirus Thread

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to read something which I would find useful.

The media are saying all sorts which means getting info is biased based on fiction rather than facts.

So it's either a paper tiger or black death II with extra toilet rolls.

As a qualified scientist I am not reading unbiased information which I can base my own judgement on.

Amen to that. Hence my relying on the ProMED daily updates - information from recognized medical sources with comments on suspect information from countries like China and Iran

Yep. We are almost 1000kms from the nearest case and some people here have gone nuts as well. No T.P. or baby food on the shelves

40 km for me (24 miles). Idiot went to Bali for a holiday and bought it back then went to work for over a week before showing symptoms. Fortunately I have not been to that dentist.

The risk is real if appropriate measures are not in place and the issue comes with healthcare resources. Yes most people have mild illnesses and that's the end of it but those that get sick and require intensive treatment at the rate of increase seen in some places there is no chance the systems can cope with it.

For instance there are only around 1 million intensive care bed in the US if we take based on Italy and China so far that around 10% of cases may need intensive care out that in perspective with regards to the possibilities. This does not account for the other conditions that may need the care but can't get it. Anaesthetists and Intensivists are very worried. It may get to the stage of mass casualty triage and medicine if need outstrips the availability of services. Follow the guidelines guys and stay safe.

Being on the frontline I'm wary of what may still be ahead of us.
That's why in New Zealand, the Government is pushing the reason for the restrictions isn't preventing the virus getting here, its about smoothing the infection curve so that the medical system isn't overwhelmed. Best case scenario is that by the time it gets established here, there's a vaccine; but it WILL get here.

To quote the American Society for Microbiology (EBD is ethanol-based disinfectants, AHR is Antiseptic Hand Rubbing using alcohol solutions, IAV is influenza A virus , and yes they are different viruses and the Covid-19 is more aggressive but the subject is the effectiveness of alcohol solutions for virus prevention)

IAV in mucus remained active despite 120 s of AHR; however, IAV in saline was completely inactivated within 30 s.
Due to the low rate of diffusion/convection because of the physical properties of mucus as a hydrogel, the time required for the ethanol concentration to reach an IAV inactivation level and thus for EBDs to completely inactivate IAV was approximately eight times longer in mucus than in saline.

The most important finding there is that you need 240 seconds of active hand rubbing in the alcohol solution to kill a virus and only 30 seconds in saline. NOBODY keeps their hands wet and rubbing for four whole minutes when using alcohol. Most barely use four seconds and then with only a minute volume of the alcohol solution...

this is the article Towards Better Hand Hygiene for Flu Prevention

"Washing hands with an antiseptic soap, they found, deactivated the virus within 30 seconds "

EDIT, the article talking of flu virus in mucus, not of corona virus in droplet

Last edited:
The UK is now in fully Henny Penny mode, the government is asked why they are not doing every thing that all other countries are doing. I am off to tell the king myself

On a brighter note these are doing the rounds here

1584311060742.png

1584310962175.png

That's why in New Zealand, the Government is pushing the reason for the restrictions isn't preventing the virus getting here, its about smoothing the infection curve so that the medical system isn't overwhelmed. Best case scenario is that by the time it gets established here, there's a vaccine; but it WILL get here.

The Kiwis seem to be doing a good job of mitigation - unlike Australia where they allowed all sorts of close proximity mass gatherings like church and football until today but warned everyone on Thursday. That naturally caused sell out crowds because lots of people were suddenly desperate to go to a live event before those events go crowd free. Sheesh

As a result of one big mistake NZ has its first case - a mongrel from Townsville who flew to NZ to beat the Kiwi warning that no one would be allowed in without 14 day quarantine starting today. What makes this even worse is the mongrel had been tested for Covid-19 in Townsville and then flew out before getting his results. I hope the hotel where he is quarantined are giving him massive extra fees for security and for the extra precautions they must take to protect their staff and customers from this $%^ and his stupidity

The Kiwis, and the Aussies should have taken a leaf out of Spain's playbook. They turned flights back to where they came from by putting in place an immediate requirement for isolation.

The Kiwis seem to be doing a good job of mitigation - unlike Australia where they allowed all sorts of close proximity mass gatherings like church and football until today but warned everyone on Thursday. That naturally caused sell out crowds because lots of people were suddenly desperate to go to a live event before those events go crowd free. Sheesh

As a result of one big mistake NZ has its first case - a mongrel from Townsville who flew to NZ to beat the Kiwi warning that no one would be allowed in without 14 day quarantine starting today. What makes this even worse is the mongrel had been tested for Covid-19 in Townsville and then flew out before getting his results.

The Kiwis, and the Aussies should have taken a leaf out of Spain's playbook. They turned flights back to where they came from by putting in place an immediate requirement for isolation.
That idiot wasn't our first case, somewhere around #7 I think. Hopefully he gets treated like this: https://www.washingtonpost.com/trav...-he-had-pending-test-airline-banned-him-life/

That idiot wasn't our first case, somewhere around #7 I think. Hopefully he gets treated like this: https://www.washingtonpost.com/trav...-he-had-pending-test-airline-banned-him-life/

Yes. It is a pity that all airlines do not share a banned passenger list. Unfortunately in many countries the privacy act prevents sharing such information. Maybe this will bring about the change. One operator I worked with nearly 20 years back did have an informal arrangement with some other operators regarding passengers banned for air rage and Dangerous Goods infractions like shipping outbourd motors complete with fuel and oil or shipping lead acid batteries in cardboard boxes identifying them as starter motors.

I mean either side of the border which is the only thing that really matters, how far is Dallas from the border with Canada?

Distance is less relevant here than you think. Flights, vacation trips, and trucking between Canada and US are a huge factor. It's not concentrated to just the border zones.

Last edited:
Distance is less relevant here than you think. Flights, vacation trips, and trucking between Canada and US are a huge factor. It's not concentrated to just the border zones.
My point was originally that if the rate of infection in the population is the same then it doesn't matter about people crossing a border, the border means nothing to the virus.

Ok, a 5.44 earthquake in Ecuador on top of a global pandemic, if one of the three volcanoes I live under goes off I will begin to think it is personal...

40 km for me (24 miles). Idiot went to Bali for a holiday and bought it back then went to work for over a week before showing symptoms. Fortunately I have not been to that dentist.

Tomorrows skin cancer removal cancelled as the surgeon has been given a Covid-19 quarantine by a patient. It was an urgent one to redo a surgery that had left some melanoma in the margins. Fortunately not malignant yet but the sooner it is removed the better and the Dr has advised she saw the donor after she saw me.

If you're an introvert nerd this is a blessing.

No sport. No social interaction. No going out.

I do wonder, if we survive, how society will change after this is over.

We live in interesting times. What happens if schools close? What happens if public transport shuts? What happens if my work closes? What happens if the whole structure of business collapses? Can see insurance and manufacturing take a real hit.

It's no exaggeration to say this is a disaster.

Which makes it very difficult to determine mortality rates. Some people are nearly asymptomatic.

Exactly. The most extensive testing has been in South Korea and the OVERALL mortality rate is around 1%.

It is much higher for the elderly (70+) and compromised, some figures being bandied about in the 15% area. A few days ago the average age of people dying in Italy was 81. The Italians have done a very good job of keeping the mortality rate in the over 70s to a figure lower than that seen in China, but people are still dying.

I was watching some French news this morning as the British news was doing my head in. It turns out that good old Jacques and Francoise are, in the opinion of the French government, not taking things seriously enough. It was a nice week-end in France and some people had the temerity to go out to parks, anything else that was open, picnic and otherwise enjoy themselves. Why do I feel that the French people are showing greater calm than their own government?

Here in the UK there is even talk of granting the police emergency powers to detain people refusing to self isolate (good idea, cram them all in a police station, I'm sure the police would love that!) or fine them £1000. This would be a classic example of passing a law that it utterly unenforceable. It's also a sign that some people have already lost their minds, maybe a new symptom of the disease?

It is being put in place here in South Australia.......The Police will have that power to arrest idiots who do not play ball...

But it is unenforceable. There are plenty of legitimate reasons why someone would need to leave their house. Even in Italy pharmacies and supermarkets are still open, so that people can still buy medicines, food and water.

Old Bill - 'Where do you think you are going? This area is in lockdown.'

Supposed ne'er do well - 'I'm just off to Boots to get some Lucozade and Nurofen for me poor old grandma officer.'

Old Bill - 'Right-o, carry on then.'

See what I mean :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back