Coronavirus Thread (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
you have to know if there is actual immunity.
That would be nice but any/all lab tests have false pos/neg results. The coming important/critical factor will be having that little "certified immune" card allowing that person to return to work while the non-immune is barred from the workplace. I also see another scenario:
So Chris suppose you and I were equally qualified or even that I had more qualifications than you and we were in line for the same position/job. You've had Covid (most likely) and again, most likely would test POS for the antibodies thus you get the card. Who do you think would get the job? The immune person who's not going to get sick and take off or the non-immune.
The only hope the non-infected will have is when a vaccine is developed at some point in the future, maybe-we-hope

No need to delve into the theories/reasons. They're pretty well known at this point.
They are just theories as far as the UK is concerned. Almost everyone gets the same health care and details of deaths isn't know. The Press are reporting all sorts of things based on their usual agenda, saying "this community has been adversely affected". There have been various "communities" affected but the main connection seems to be that they are communities who meet and greet each other regularly, or do jobs that puts them meeting more people than average.

Caution! The MASTER WARNING light is flashing, the POLITICAL telltale is lit, and the guard is up on the EMERG SHUTDOWN toggle!

Smart man, tread lightly everyone.

One thing I hate more than anything is this bullshit liberal vs. conservative division crap. That is the stuff of SHEEP. It has no place in this forum, let alone our country. Those who do have fallen in the trap of their "masters" as they want a divided population, because a divided one is powerless.

this bullshit liberal vs. conservative division crap. That is the stuff of SHEEP. It has no place in this forum, let alone our country. Those who do have fallen in the trap of their "masters" as they want a divided population because a divided one is powerless.
Der Adler speak truth. Masters speak with forked tongue. Great Spirit say bury hatchet.

I don't how things are in the States around sport, but our lot here are in complete denial. Wimbledon has just been formally called off, as if it could possibly go ahead. The Football Association (soccer) have just said they will make Wembley and St Georges available as "neutral grounds", if there are no spectators then all grounds are neutral grounds and they are both in London, why would anyone want to schedule anything in London? I cant see any big sporting events going ahead until there is a vaccine and treatments that are known to work yet they are still whistling in the wind here talking about "finishing off the season"? No one seems to be able to get their head around the idea that spectator sport of any kind cant be considered ATM and events like the Olympics and World Cups in Soccer Rugby Cricket Handball F1 etc may be a thing of the past, or stopped for a year or two at least.

That would be nice but any/all lab tests have false pos/neg results. The coming important/critical factor will be having that little "certified immune" card allowing that person to return to work while the non-immune is barred from the workplace. I also see another scenario:
So Chris suppose you and I were equally qualified or even that I had more qualifications than you and we were in line for the same position/job. You've had Covid (most likely) and again, most likely would test POS for the antibodies thus you get the card. Who do you think would get the job? The immune person who's not going to get sick and take off or the non-immune.
The only hope the non-infected will have is when a vaccine is developed at some point in the future, maybe-we-hope

One thing that is appearing in the press, and in general the press at present is so desperate for a scoop that what they print is about as reliable as wikipedia, is that it appears that this disease affects different people very differently. It appears that some people get primarily a breathing illness and others get primarily a blood illness like malaria and others of course are asymptomatic.

This suggests to me that
  • finding a cure or vaccine is going to be a very difficult task as it must deal with at least three variable outcomes in those affected and/or
  • there may well be one or more factors such as genetics or blood group that dictate which "reaction" an infected person will get and/or
  • diet may be a factor, and/or
  • it is mutating far faster than the influenza virus which we still have no effective vaccine for (only a series of vaccines against previous versions)
I hope I am wrong because that scenario means this "new normal" is going to be around for several years.

Hopefully Gnomey or some other medical expert will be able to provide a clue on where we are headed but with his current work load I suspect he is totally focused on the here and now, not considering some future where he can relax his focus

You too Tim. Are there any known cases in Nanton? I mean COVID cases, not nut cases!

Nut Cases are rampant everywhere here and there
hobbyhorse.gif

No cases in Nanton I'm aware of, BUT, there is one case in the long term care unit of the High River Hospital, and several staff who have tested positive who may or may not live in the community, High River online, My sister works part time there and is now in self isolation, though she hasn't indicated wether or not she tested positive.

Also the High River 7-11 (a convenience store), , "has been placed on lock down after an employee tested positive for COVID-19. It is being recommended that anyone who visited the convenience store between March 29th - April 10th take the Government of Alberta's self-assessment test. The store has been closed for cleaning and will re-open on the 25th of April." High River online.

Just got a text this morning from the head cheese not to come in tonight and maybe not for a few days, the rumor is that the plant may shut down for 2 weeks. which may be related, as guess where a lot of people stop for their morning coffee.........including the head cheese, with whom I share a truck.......Good Times
dry.gif

Happy I decided not to visit me Mum
beer.gif

We're currently at 1349 cases, with 5 deaths (3 from one rest home)
19 new cases in the last 24 hours, with 75 new recovered cases.

Looks like we may be getting on top of this and actually be able to eliminate it from New Zealand.

They are just theories as far as the UK is concerned. Almost everyone gets the same health care and details of deaths isn't know. The Press are reporting all sorts of things based on their usual agenda, saying "this community has been adversely affected". There have been various "communities" affected but the main connection seems to be that they are communities who meet and greet each other regularly, or do jobs that puts them meeting more people than average.
which was the point i was trying to make.

Update, just got another text, it seems that to many are getting the virus, implying that a few inside workers are positive. as it is what I'm aware of is 1 CFIA (Canadian food inspection agency) worker is positive and the 7-11 worker also worked as a cleaner at the plant. Not unlikely to be getting an early vacation.

which was the point i was trying to make.
I know, but so far in UK it has infected Charles and his wife, Boris and his fiancé, it has affected London's Jewish community and its Muslim community. It has basically infected a lot of communities, like the horse racing community that went to Cheltenham for their annual booze up. You cannot make a case for it targetting the poor when such people are infected, it is a virus, it will propagate anywhere, and doesn't care about the UKs political or economic system. Some are making an issue about bus and train drivers on Londons transport system, but a train driver on the tube doesn't meet his passengers and a bus driver doesn't go as close to the passengers as the passengers do to each other.

Nut Cases are rampant everywhere here and there View attachment 577349

No cases in Nanton I'm aware of, BUT, there is one case in the long term care unit of the High River Hospital, and several staff who have tested positive who may or may not live in the community, High River online, My sister works part time there and is now in self isolation, though she hasn't indicated wether or not she tested positive.

Also the High River 7-11 (a convenience store), , "has been placed on lock down after an employee tested positive for COVID-19. It is being recommended that anyone who visited the convenience store between March 29th - April 10th take the Government of Alberta's self-assessment test. The store has been closed for cleaning and will re-open on the 25th of April." High River online.

Just got a text this morning from the head cheese not to come in tonight and maybe not for a few days, the rumor is that the plant may shut down for 2 weeks. which may be related, as guess where a lot of people stop for their morning coffee.........including the head cheese, with whom I share a truck.......Good Times View attachment 577352

Happy I decided not to visit me Mum View attachment 577353

Just watched the 6 o-clock news. Something going on at Cargill it seems. Hope you stay safe Tim.

The best estimate, by the competent, is that testing a vaccine to see if it's safe and effective takes at least a year. It's one of those tasks that can't be sped up no matter how much money is thrown at it: it takes time to sequence genomes (far less than it used to), time to produce test samples, time to test them, time to scale up to mass production (making the few hundred vaccine doses for testing can be done by a well-equipped lab. PhDs, grad students, and professors using lab equipment aren't a workable method to produce hundreds of millions of doses.) It will further take time to determine if the vaccine will invoke long-term immunity. The vaccine is likely to use just the virus' protein shell, so it's not likely to produce disease, but that also has to be ruled out (iirc, the 1976 swine flu -- A/Victoria/75 (H3N2) vaccine was implicated in causing Guillain–Barré syndrome. The causal link is, however, quite suspect.)

It's not like producing each year's flu vaccine. There are three or four strains of flu that are the dominant causes of disease (see Key Facts About Seasonal Flu Vaccine each year's vaccine uses different mixes of the most recent available varieties of these strains.

As for minority groups? Many times minority communities have ancestral connections to heavily persecuted communities in their home countries. Even if they live in highly egalitarian, prejudice-free countries (which don't exist), they will be very distrustful of laws to restrict movement and association.

I have seen several medical discussions on extracting antibodies from blood plasma and injecting them into patients.
I have not seen any that say it has actually been done though several media reports inferred that had been done and not gone well. The only thing I noted in the medical discussions was that the quantity of antibodies varies considerably depending on the level of infection the donor experienced. Asymptomatic almost zero antibodies, non ICU more but still not many, up to almost died and loaded with antibodies. As far as I know the viability of the various antibodies for medical use is still being researched. I have not seen any indications that the antibodies are identical between patients, unlikely given the wide range of symptoms, or of the same strength.
The other item was that women had less antibodies which may be related to the fact that, as a rule of thumb, two out of every three deaths are male. Another variable to research and, outside of China, we are only 12-14 weeks into this problem so there are still far more questions than confirmed answers. I know it feels like 12-14 months already to many but we are still what an author might call the prologue of the story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back