Coronavirus Thread

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am reopening this thread.

Lets all stay out of the realm of left vs. right, dem vs. rep political shit. That is the stuff of sheep, and nothing more. If you want to discuss that kind of stuff take it to whatever politically slanted propaganda forum suits your purpose, but lets keep it off of here. Too many friendships on this forum have been lost because of it.

Thanks...

Agreed. And that applies to racism as well

I may have a slightly different slant on that because, since 2000, I have spent over half my time in Papua New Guinea and the rest in Aus. In Aus I am one of the white majority. In PNG I am one of the (very small) white minority so I see racism from both sides.

Intelligent people, and I try hard to be one but do not always succeed, treat all men as gentlemen and all women as ladies until proven otherwise. I must admit that, although I have friends from one particular country which is not Aus or PNG, that I tend to treat the majority of one countries new residents who are in PNG as ignorant arrogant scum because at least 90% of those I meet are. Interestingly, those second, third and fourth generation residents from that country living in PNG treat the newcomers with even greater contempt.

Two weeks ago, it was "why can't you release the models" and now it's "what went wrong with your model?" I hope the general public is smarter than that.

Probably not, but politicians are even worse. If they don't like the results of the model they ignore them and attack all science.

A number of sources are given most likely, IMHO, if from standard 2-D maps where North is up and South is down. I've also read that in certain Native American Indian tribes there was a belief that after death the soul traveled south so "going south" became a euphemism for dying. Criminals oft times headed South to Mexico to escape pursuit, in effect, disappearing. Take your pick

There was a question about the demographics of people dying in UK at the government briefing today. A discussion after the briefing revealed the statistic (source not stated) that the London "Asian" community has 6 times the level of type two diabetes than the white population. "Asian" is in quotes because in UK now Asia means the former India before independence.

Saw that on the news.
dont understand why they need to wear tactical clothing and carry assault rifles ?

Compensating for a lack of genitals methinks !

Possibly. One of my brother's coworkers (both do IT support for a bank) bought 3 or 4 skids of freeze-dried food and 10,000 rounds of ammunition. By brother, who is a shooter (he used to shoot expert with .45) and used to be a hunter; he's never had more than 50 or 100 rounds in his house. He has a rather negative opinion of his coworker's sanity....

Possibly. One of my brother's coworkers (both do IT support for a bank) bought 3 or 4 skids of freeze-dried food and 10,000 rounds of ammunition. By brother, who is a shooter (he used to shoot expert with .45) and used to be a hunter; he's never had more than 50 or 100 rounds in his house. He has a rather negative opinion of his coworker's sanity....
More money than sense !

I know nothing about guns but I know battleships wore out their barrels, can any gun fire 10,000 rounds? How many guns do you need to use that many rounds?

A battleship (pre WW II) could wear out a barrel in around 125 rounds.

Small arms are variable, some highpower hunting rifles can go in as little as 6-800 rounds.

Some rifles can go 5000 or more (depends in your standard of accuracy and how much rapid fire you do. Hot barrels burn out quicker.

Pistols can last for thousands of rounds. A lot less heat per shot.

After the first few, the SWAT team would likely stop his shooting rather permanently.
It was a serious question, I doubt any soldier used 10,000 rounds in the war, I also doubt many aircraft aces used that much ammunition and they had a team servicing their MGs. It is a huge number.

Down to 8 new cases today, with 2 more deaths. Only 14 people still in hospital, with 2 in ICU.
1409 total cases, with 816 recovered.

Minnesota report, April 16
cases 1,912, recovered 1,020, hospitalized 475, deaths 94, tested 41,675*
fatality rate 4.9%
mortality rate 16.5 per million
tests rate 7.3 per thousand*
*Test kits are still in short supply, and are currently being used only for suspected COVID-19 cases and first responder/healthcare/medical personnel.

If the Roosevelt's captain had gone through the chain of command and been ignored, he really had little choice (my choice response would have been a quiet letter of reprimand, not a very public punishment. He didn't run his ship into a reef or encourage ill-discipline.) Warships are even more densely packed than military barracks and prisons, and this makes them very susceptible to rapid spread of airborne disease.

The silence by his chain is deafening.

I think we will ever know the true story of what happened. I honestly would not he surprised (and neither should anyone else who has served) that the Capt. of the Roosevelt did use the chain command, but was shot down with the usual "This is the military, take 1000 mg Motrins, drink water and drive on!"

The whole thing was mismanaged, and the SecNav screwed up royally by firing him the way he did, and then addressing the crew the way he did. This caused a serious rift between the military and civilian leadership that will be difficult to overcome.

You mean he got a "Your the CO, handle it!"
Well, he handled it.
Worse than the senior leadership divide, the guy down on the deckplates is now going to serious question if Senior Leadership really cares about them.

You mean he got a "Your the CO, handle it!"
Well, he handled it.
Worse than the senior leadership divide, the guy down on the deckplates is now going to serious question if Senior Leadership really cares about them.

I predict that the relieved captain's replacement is not going to find a ship full of welcoming, happy-to-see-him faces. It may be a long time before the Roosevelt can be considered a "happy ship."

I predict that the relieved captain's replacement is not going to find a ship full of welcoming, happy-to-see-him faces. It may be a long time before the Roosevelt can be considered a "happy ship."
In the divisions like Engineering and Air that eat their young? You're absolutely right. A Work Center in OA Division were the weather guessers hang out? Depending on their E-5/E-6 leadership, they'll do okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back