Coronavirus Thread (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today, like Yesterday, and like Saturday, I walked the 1/2 mile to the intersection, fished from the bridge, and walked home.
I ran out of worms, but have 3 panfish in my aquarium now.
The cats scamper madly about the house (they don't like rain), my wife watches movies (we have about 200), and I troll the internet.
Strangely similar to The Time Before Covid.
I'm glad for your apparent improvement Adler; stay well Vincenzo, and good luck to us all!

Went out for a half-hour bike ride today and feel a bit better for it. I think I need a bit of 'me' time...

Hang in there Aaron. It affects all of us differently. My girlfriend is suffering a bit as a result of the lockdown - she's quite a social person (whereas I'm not), so she finds it hard, too.

We've decided we are having a gathering at my house once the lockdown is over (!) and we're inviting friends and whomever over.

Good to see that crass stupidity still hasn't been eradicated:

Michigan protesters honk against coronavirus order

While I appreciate the desire to get back to work, I'm just shaking my head at the woman who wants things to reopen so she can "buy things we need" (ignoring, for a moment, the fact that people can get what we need (food, medication etc) in pretty much all countries...they just can't get everything they want).

The next comment takes the biscuit, though. She wants shops to open so she can get her hair dyed to hide her grey roots. That is SUCH a First World problem!

I'm not normally a vengeful person but I find a small part of me hoping some of these idiots contract the virus because they didn't maintain social distancing during this protest.

Good to see that crass stupidity still hasn't been eradicated:

Michigan protesters honk against coronavirus order

While I appreciate the desire to get back to work, I'm just shaking my head at the woman who wants things to reopen so she can "buy things we need" (ignoring, for a moment, the fact that people can get what we need (food, medication etc) in pretty much all countries...they just can't get everything they want).

The next comment takes the biscuit, though. She wants shops to open so she can get her hair dyed to hide her grey roots. That is SUCH a First World problem!

I'm not normally a vengeful person but I find a small part of me hoping some of these idiots contract the virus because they didn't maintain social distancing during this protest.

Hense my earlier comment about people just bitching and fighting. People are so selfish.

Which brings me to the Rosie. The Captain absolutely made the right call in order to protect his aircrew and his Damage Control Attack Teams (Fire fighters.) If you can't fight the ship (Airwing, and Damage Control.) you're a mission kill.

Edit: I also agree with his relief for cause and agree that SecNav needed to go. After being retired from the Navy and watching this unfold? I can say with great dignity; Not my circus, not my monkeys.

If the Roosevelt's captain had gone through the chain of command and been ignored, he really had little choice (my choice response would have been a quiet letter of reprimand, not a very public punishment. He didn't run his ship into a reef or encourage ill-discipline.) Warships are even more densely packed than military barracks and prisons, and this makes them very susceptible to rapid spread of airborne disease.

There have also been suggestions that the Secretary of the Navy invited the Roosevelt's skipper to contact his office directly. Now, those of us who've been in the military know that senior officials saying "Yeah, call me anytime" don't usually mean it...but if chain-of-command methods were failing, then the only options are (a) remaining silent or (b) breaking a few rules. Personally, I'd go with (b) every time...and the best officers I served with/under also fell into that category.

Bottom line...we need to see what the investigation uncovers. I think we can say with some certainty, though, that it won't be particularly flattering to a number of senior Navy officials.

Last edited:
I think we will ever know the true story of what happened. I honestly would not he surprised (and neither should anyone else who has served) that the Capt. of the Roosevelt did use the chain command, but was shot down with the usual "This is the military, take 1000 mg Motrins, drink water and drive on!"

The whole thing was mismanaged, and the SecNav screwed up royally by firing him the way he did, and then addressing the crew the way he did. This caused a serious rift between the military and civilian leadership that will be difficult to overcome.

Last edited:
Hang in there Aaron. It affects all of us differently. My girlfriend is suffering a bit as a result of the lockdown - she's quite a social person (whereas I'm not), so she finds it hard, too.

We've decided we are having a gathering at my house once the lockdown is over (!) and we're inviting friends and whomever over.
Cannot promise to be there :lol:

The missus is going bat-sh!t crazy because she can't see/hug the grandkid who lives a kilometer away

I think we will ever know the true story of what happened. I honestly would not he surprised (and neither should anyone else who has served) that the Capt. of the Roosevelt did use the chain command, but was shot down with the usual "This is the military, take 1000 mg Motrins, drink water and drive on!"

The whole thing was mismanaged, and the SecNav screwed up royally by firing him the way he did, and then addressing the crew the way he did. This caused a serious riff between the military and civilian leadership that will be difficult to overcome.

I think it adds to a rift that's already been started by, for example, pardoning the SEALS convicted, in a military court, of serious crimes. In general, I feel that the internal discipline of the armed forces should be left to the services, themselves, unless there is some systemic malfeasance within the military justice system or widespread corruption, e.g., the Fat Leonard case. Internal policies are a different matter; for example, when Truman ordered the integration of the armed forces. Citizens are citizens, and the government -- including the armed forces -- should not impede citizens from service.

Latest brain-dead reporter question to our PM minutes ago....."Why didn't this weeks deaths match your prediction model last week?"

Two weeks ago, it was "why can't you release the models" and now it's "what went wrong with your model?" I hope the general public is smarter than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back