Coronavirus Thread

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
-Two pet cats in New York tested positive for COVID-19, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said in a news release Wednesday. They are the first pets in the U.S. to test positive. The cats lived in separate areas of the state and were tested after they exhibited symptoms of mild respiratory illness. In one case, the cat's owner had previously tested positive. In the other, no one in the house was known to have COVID-19. The second case may have come from an asymptomatic person in the household or from contact with someone outside the home, the CDC said. While the agency says there's no evidence that pets play a role in spreading COVID-19, it recommends that pets not be allowed to interact with anyone outside their household, cats be kept outdoors and social distancing be maintained when walking or exercising pets.
-A total of 777 crew members on board the aircraft carrier USS Theodore Roosevelt had tested positive for COVID-19 as of Wednesday, the Navy said in an update. Some 3,900 results came back negative, with 99% of the crew now having been tested. More than 4,000 sailors have moved off the ship. Overall, 1,298 sailors Navy-wide have tested positive.
-The state of Missouri is suing the Chinese government over the coronavirus pandemic. "TheChinese government lied to the world about the danger and contagious nature of COVID-19, silenced whistleblowers, and did little to stop the spread of the disease," State Attorney General Eric Schmitt said in a statement. Experts say the lawsuit has no chance of success, and critics contend it and similar moves to discredit China are politically motivated, the Washington Post reported. More than 6,200 people in Missouri have been confirmed to have COVID-19 and at least 229 have died.
-A lawyer in Florida has sued Gov. Ron DeSantis and officials in Hillsborough County over restrictions imposed to help stop the spread of coronavirus, alleging the emergency orders violated both the state and U.S. constitutions, according to the Tampa Bay Times. Florida has the eighth highest number of COVID-19 cases in the country, with more than 27,800. At least 867 people have died in the state.

Britain's Chief Medical Officer has stated that we can expect to live with restrictions for the rest of the year.
To be expected, I guess, as this virus is NOT going to just go away and, until a cure and or preventative drugs are found, the situation, globally, will remain very serious indeed.
Those who think otherwise should start to realise this, and observe the local rules, instead of protesting that they can't do this or do that. If they don't, then there very well could be no this or that to do in the future !
Chris Whitty didn't say anything different to what he and all the other people he works with have been saying from day one. It is the media who have had a sudden change of heart, perhaps they decided to listen for once. Rigby Kuenssberg and Peston along with all the others have been talking about lifting the lockdown and "getting back to normal" among themselves for weeks without any reference to what is going on, it seems to have dawned on them suddenly that it wont happen.

Careful not to step in the BS as you make your way through life, young man. If the intended medication doesn't prevent you from getting the virus, then not only have you suffered from the side-effects, your chances of dying have increased because you didn't heed the advise of people who know what they are talking about. Doctors, medical professionals, nurses, scientists. Those are the people you listen to and take the advice of, not former reality TV show hosts, opinonated media personalities or scaremongers on dodgy websites.

Thank you for your sage advice and I agree. But I you are reading into something I did not say. I never said the drug will prevent the disease or that I would accept it as a preventative. My remark that I would take as an alternative to death was not some rhetorical gesture or hyperbole to cause a reaction. What I meant was that if I were put on a ventilator, which means my lungs were no longer working and the next step was suffocation and death, I would not oppose my family choosing an untested or experimental treatment if it might save my life. Especially when the drug is prescribed to millions and millions of people every year. Sure there may be side-effects. What drug does not have a laundry list of side effects? There is already a very high probability that I am going to die. This is the situation I have been talking about in my posts. Doctors do not have many options in the scenario I just mentioned? Sure the plasma treatments will be safer but we don't have enough right now for dying patients.

As for your second point, I never said people should be administered the drug because the word came out of Trump's mouth or I saw some talking head on TV touting success stories. Trump's inept attempt to give the country hope did not and will not shape my opinion on the subject. My position has always been to let medical professions decide and hope they are competent. And I know that doctors are using HC+AZ on high risk patients. Unfortunately, the whole topic has been politicized and all I was trying to do was have a discussion of the topic and not push a political agenda. This is not a veiled jab at any one, it is only a statement of my intent.

Everyone stay safe and sane.

Probably mentioned somewhere here but bears mentioning again given the last few posts...
Hydroxychloroquine: Side effects, dosage, COVID-19 (under study)

To expand on my previous post about HC causing heart attacks and suicide the above link includes the following and lots of information under the headings I left in.

NOTE THAT THIS MEDICATION CAN ALSO CAUSE BRONCHOSPASM - that is a tightening of the muscles that line the airways in your lungs. When these muscles tighten, your airways narrow. Narrowed airways don't let as much air in or out of your lungs. This limits the amount of oxygen that enters your blood, just like Corona Virus does.

I have edited out far more than I left in and made a couple of items bold but all the bold warnings are in the original document - this stuff is dangerous and should never be taken without the prescribing doctor knowing your FULL medical history.

Serious side effects and their symptoms can include the following:
  • blurred vision or other vision changes, which may be permanent in some cases
  • heart disease, including heart failure and issues with your heart rhythm; some cases have been fatal
  • ringing in your ears or hearing loss
  • angioedema (rapid swelling of your skin)
  • hives
  • mild or severe bronchospasm
  • sore throat
  • severe hypoglycemia
  • unusual bleeding or bruising
  • blue-black skin color
  • muscle weakness
  • hair loss or changes in hair color
  • abnormal mood changes
  • mental health effects, including suicidal thoughts
SUICIDE PREVENTION
If you know someone at immediate risk of self-harm, suicide, or hurting another person:
  • Ask the tough question: "Are you considering suicide?"
  • Listen to the person without judgment.
  • Call 911 or the local emergency number, or text TALK to 741741 to communicate with a trained crisis counselor.
  • Stay with the person until professional help arrives.
  • Try to remove any weapons, medications, or other potentially harmful objects.
If you or someone you know is having thoughts of suicide, a prevention hotline can help. The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is available 24 hours a day at 1-800-273-8255. During a crisis, people who are hard of hearing should call 1-800-799-4889.
Click here for more links and local resources.

Hydroxychloroquine may interact with other medications
Examples of drugs that can cause interactions with hydroxychloroquine are listed below.
Heart drugs
Taking digoxin with hydroxychloroquine may increase the levels of digoxin in your body. This may increase your risk of side effects from digoxin.
Insulin and other diabetes drugs
Hydroxychloroquine and diabetes drugs all decrease your blood sugar level. Taking hydroxychloroquine with these drugs could cause hypoglycemia (low blood sugar). Your doctor may need to reduce your dosage of insulin or the other diabetes drugs.
Examples of other diabetes drugs include:
Drugs that affect heart rhythm
Hydroxychloroquine should not be taken with other drugs that could cause heart arrhythmias (irregular heart rate or rhythm). Taking hydroxychloroquine with these drugs could cause dangerous arrhythmias. Examples of these drugs include:
Certain malaria drugs
Taking hydroxychloroquine with certain other malaria drugs can increase your risk of seizures. Examples of these drugs include:
Antiseizure drugs
Taking antiseizure drugs with hydroxychloroquine can make the antiseizure drugs less effective.
Immunosuppressant drugs

Hydroxychloroquine warnings

Allergy warning
Don't take this drug again if you've ever had an allergic reaction to it. Taking it again could be fatal (cause death).
Alcohol interaction warning
Warnings for people with certain health conditions

For people with skin problems:
For people with liver problems or alcohol misuse:
For people with certain enzyme deficiencies:

Warnings for other groups
For pregnant women:
For women who are breastfeeding:
For seniors:
This drug is processed by your kidneys. Older adults with reduced kidney function may not be able to process this drug well, which can increase the risk of side effects, including vision damage. Older adults may require more frequent eye exams while taking this drug to monitor for signs of vision damage.
For children: This drug can be dangerous to children. Accidentally swallowing even just a few tablets can lead to death in a small child. Keep this drug in a child-resistant bottle out of reach of children.
Hidden costs
Beyond the cost of this drug, you may need to pay for additional eye exams and blood tests.
Prior authorization
Many insurance companies require a prior authorization for this drug. This means your doctor will need to get approval from your insurance company before your insurance company will pay for the prescription.

Last edited:
To expand on my previous post about HC causing heart attacks and suicide the above link includes the following and lots of information under the headings I left in
I didn't even know about the hypoglycemic effects, though severe hypoglycemia can be quickly fatal.

I figure if there is even contemplations for re-opening, everybody involved needs to be properly protected.

For seniors: This drug is processed by your kidneys. Older adults with reduced kidney function may not be able to process this drug well, which can increase the risk of side effects, including vision damage. Older adults may require more frequent eye exams while taking this drug to monitor for signs of vision damage.
And, since Covid affects the kidneys amongst other organs, that warning would apply to most patients.

Something to note: It looks like the US has the least deadly strains of the virus:
The deadliest mutations in the Zhejiang patients had also been found in most patients across Europe, while the milder strains were the predominant varieties found in parts of the United States, such as Washington State, according to their paper.
Covid 19 coronavirus: Study shows disease has mutated - and some strains hit harder

Regarding "herd immunity", has there been any evidence that those recovered from the disease have immunity from being infected again?

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, to have her immunity you need upwards of 90% of people to have that immunity for it to work.

Regarding "herd immunity", has there been any evidence that those recovered from the disease have immunity from being infected again?
It would appear that people who are infected sometimes relapse, which produces the illusion of catching it again. That said, immunity does appear to occur, but if the disease mutates sufficiently, it might be like the cold. The problem is the common cold doesn't have a mortality rate of 3%.

It would appear that people who are infected sometimes relapse, which produces the illusion of catching it again. That said, immunity does appear to occur, but if the disease mutates sufficiently, it might be like the cold. The problem is the common cold doesn't have a mortality rate of 3%.
I don't think its a case of if it mutates sufficiently. There are already over 30 different identified strains, refer to my earlier link in post #1831

I don't think its a case of if it mutates sufficiently. There are already over 30 different identified strains, refer to my earlier link in post #1831
It's an RNA virus, sure it mutates. The Chinese research however has been flawed from the beginning in this virus. Many claims have been made from that side that have been disputed or proven false later. Let's just wait and see.

Minnesota report, April 22
cases 2,721, recovered 1,317, hospitalized 660, deaths 179, tested 49,344*/**
fatality rate 6.6%
mortality rate 31.4 per million
tests rate 8.7 per thousand*/**
*Test kits are still in short supply, however, at the current time test kit processing is limited more by lack of materials (primarily reagents). Tests are currently being used primarily for suspected COVID-19 cases and first responder/healthcare/medical personnel.
**Minnesota is currently building a supply chain and processing system that will allow testing of upto 20,000 people per day. Exactly how long before this rate will be achieved is unknown, but FWIW my estimate is 6-8 weeks before we CAN do it, and 8-12 weeks before we actually DO do it. Hopefully I am wrong and it will be sooner. (I separate the CAN do and Do do because, even if the testing system will allow it, the herd will have to be convinced it is necessary.)

1587651086160.png

Italy report, 5 pm (CEST) 23rd April
cases 189,973, + 2,646, deaths 25,549, +464, recovered 57,576, + 3,033, active cases 106,848, -851, test 1,579,909, + 66,658
fatality rate 13.4%
mortality rate 424 per million
test rate 26.2 per thousand
positive rate 12%
test rate today 1,105 per million
positive rate today 4%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back