CORSAIR F4U-4; 1/48, Revell

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

SANCER

Senior Master Sergeant
Aug 21, 2014
México City
Hello again, friends, colleagues and forum visitors.

I invite you to join me now in what will be my eleventh model, in this process of learning and rejoicing.

Many will know that we have just finished a relatively long process with my Lib, because of its large size and detailed construction. 8-[

In this occasion "I intend", to take some respite, to work on the construction of a good Revell model. The mold comes dated from the year 1963 (it is a child barely 2 years younger than me)
It looks good in general terms; ... on the way we will find out.

For the same reason that it is an old model and not get into so much work, I intend to do it in full flight with the hidden landing gear.
I must also achieve a job of exterior painting and weathering, which makes it attractive and I hope to do well to honor this "lejendario" kit.

This is the box art:

1.jpg

I have been looking for some versions of this F4U-4 in the network, that could make it more attractive and that does not represent so much complication regarding its badges and decals. It will be another OOB construction.

This is the version I chose:

CHANCE VOUGHT F4U-4 CORSAIR of United States Marine Corps training squadron VMFT-20, based at M.C.A.S. Cherry Point in 1952.

1.jpg
3.jpg

I hope you like it and enjoy it with me.

I am in the stage of collecting information and images :computer: and studying the "simple" instructions.

Any information, links and images that you consider, will be well received and I would like to thank you in advance.

Saludos cordiales a todos y a seguir disfrutando!! :thumbup:

Luis Carlos
SANCER

Should be a good one Luis. Some of these old Revell / Monogram kits are a great basis for added detail. I built this kit many years ago, and it turned out quite well.

Before finishing "The Squaw", I mentioned I would still be with a Corsair and a P-51B, both are Revell models. The tang seems to be more recent (the lines of the panels are correct), ... it will be fun to do something interesting with them.

Saludos Terry

Looking forward to this Luis. Any info you want, feel free to ask

Thanks Geo, I believe that as the process goes on its way, doubts will surely arise.

Saludos amigo.

Thanks for the images Wojtek, the links are very interesting, I already have some images of the cabin and the engine to work as close to the real airplane.

I've always liked that scheme
This is Geo, I must confess that as I get involved with a new plane, I really increes the knowing and learning. Of the variety of schemes I could see, this was one of the ones I liked best, and will allow me to work with what I have, ... I think we can do something good with it.

Looking forward to seeing you work your magic in this one L-C.
It will be something fun that once again we can do together. Thank you for your words Andy.

Damn luis this is going to be awesome to watch my friend. Are you going to add any extra detail to the cockpit ? Look forward to seeing progress pics :)
I'm already working on it, Brian, you know it's my vice to work on the cockpits. The space is reduced and for the first time there will be a pilot who will direct it in flight. Cheers fb friend.

Hang on a sec, need to lay in some beer and popcorn..... Ok, ready now! Proceed! This looks like a fun one, and again I have this kit in my stash I believe so will be following closely!
Pleased to have you near the workbench Robert , we'll be learning along the way ... I've got the beers chilling !!

Pronto las primeras fotos...:thumbup:

Starting with the closed gates of the landing gear ...

3.jpg
4.jpg

It is clear to me that the kit is designed so that the aircraft rested on the ground on its undercarriage. Closed gates do not make an appropriate adjustment.

5.jpg
6.jpg

I will have to work on the way to cover those cracks :fadein:, it occurs to me that from the inside I will use styrene strips to fill the best possible and with Tamiya putty do a delicate work on the outside and remove the surplus with a dampened Q-tip, to Not having to sand (or sand as little as possible) and not damage rivets and details of the whole area ... suggestions and recommendations are accepted ... :-k

In the meantime, here is a small advance of what I am configuring of the cockpit.

7.jpg
8.jpg

Among the real photographs, plans and images, this is the one that best reference offers me to work on the detail.

9.1.jpg

I have been improving my technique to use acupuncture needles to form the levers in the instrument panels.

9.jpg

With a mini-drill I try to traverse the plastic piece so that from below insert the needle and when giving the necessary height, then fix it from below with a drop of super glue.

There are still a few more things to add, but that's where I am at the moment.

Seguimos en contracto ... :thumbup:

Doing well LC. But I would say the basic mistake was made. No fitting before attaching. It would be easier to work on fitting of the bay door having them all separated at the moment.

For filling of the gaps at the wheel bay door areas I would suggest using of the talc powder mixed with some of light grey Humbrol enamel. The excesses of the putty you may remove with Humbrol thinner and Q-tips soaked with it. Because the thinner doesn't melt the plastic nothing will be damaged. You don't need to use any plastic strips, just use some of the Tamiya masking tape stuck to the insides of the wheel doors in order to prevent against going the putty into the wing interior.

Last edited:
Doing well LC. But I would say the basic mistake was made. No fitting before attaching. It would be easier to work on fitting of the bay door having them all separated at the moment.

For filling of the gaps at the wheel bay door areas I would suggest using of the talc powder mixed with some of light grey Humbrol enamel. The excesses of the putty you may remove with Humbrol thinner and Q-tips soaked with it. Because the thinner doesn't melt the plastic nothing will be damaged. You don't need to use any plastic strips, just use some of the Tamiya masking tape stuck to the insides of the wheel doors in order to prevent against going the putty into the wing interior.
It is timely advice Wojtek, partly of those cracks in the wheel bay doors on the left side I placed small strips of styrene with Tamiya ETC; ... I will do the option that you suggest, with the right side. Wish me luck ... LOL

10}.jpg
11.jpg

...the cabin...

12.jpg
13.jpg
14.jpg
15.jpg

Tomorrow to work with the front panel and paint that cabin ... (hopefully)

Excelente inicio de semana para todos...!
Excellent start to the week for everyone ...!

Saludos :thumbup:

Luis Carlos

Users who are viewing this thread

Back