CORSAIR F4U-4; 1/48, Revell

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thank you very much for your visits and comments. :thumbleft::mrgreen::thumbright:

As you mention Andy, the challenges begin; and first we are going to solve those cracks in the gates of the landing gear.
On the right side of the photo (the left side of the plane), I have prepared the scene to apply the Tamiya putty, and on the other side for the paint test of Humbrol enamel with talc.

16.jpg

I realized that being able to remove the excess with a Q-tip moistened in Humbrol thinner, it was not necessary to mask, ... so I removed the tapes before I started.

Following Wojtek's recommendation, I put tapes on the inside of the joints of the gates, to prevent the putty from falling into the inside of the wings. :idea:

17.jpg

This is in a first application of both techniques.
I was very cautious and careful to apply the putty of Tamiya, ... I am already seeing how complicated it will be to remove those surpluses without damaging the details that are very close !! :crazyeyes:

18.jpg

On the other hand "homemade" putty, could be applied with much more cleaning, ... is likely to require one more application, although I'm already thinking of doing it with Mr. Surfacer 1000 or 1200, or with Plastic Putty de Vallejo.

Well let 1 or 2 days rest the piece for safety ... O:)

About the first pilot to pose on one of my planes since I came back to this, I've been thinking how.

First I started looking for all the pilots of my 10 previous planes, and see which one is more conducive to my Corsair.
The driver who brings the kit is lacking in detail and "life" [-(... so I already chose the pilot that included my Yak-3 and try to mount it to the Corsair.

19.jpg

It was necessary to use my Dremel to remove that surplus in the seat.

20.jpg

To the left arm I´ll intend to cut the elbow joint, to close the shape more and seem to turn to see and greet us in the middle of flight ... :wave:

21.jpg
22.jpg

Well, these are the 2 pieces, now I will work on the pilot and achieve the position I want ...

23.jpg

It's all for now, greetings. :thumbup:

:thumbright: :thumbright:

LC... a note though. It may happen that the putty can stick to the masking tape as well. To reduce the risk of "peeling off" of the putty with the tape while removing I would suggest putting of the wing part into warm water for a while. It should make the tape adhesive more soft and its removing easier.

Last edited:
Hello there. :D

I also decided to cut the right arm joint for better mobility. I used a copper wire, which will allow sufficient flexibility for the pilot's posture.
That tip that is seen of an acupuncture needle is to measure the depth required in each drill that makes with the mini-drill.

All joints ready !! (the arms and hip and trunk, are already articulated)

24.jpg

Each end of the copper wire was fixed with cyanoacrylate to each piece.
It was all about accommodating the pilot in his seat and finding the position I want.

25.jpg

:!: Now the important thing is to check the position inside the fuselage, to ensure that it does not clutter and rub with any piece, once they are all united. :!:

26.jpg

... as you can see, there is still much work to do to clean and sanding the cabin frame ... :squarewink:
27.jpg

Everything seems to be in place; ... now to work on setting the final posture and with putty fill all the holes and practice my skills as a sculptor of figures ... !! :ramboface:

... the pilot sends a greeting and thanks them for your visits and comments. :headbang:

28.jpg

A hug and until the next breakthrough ... Cheers.

Luis Carlos :thumbup:

I'm going to see how it goes, Robert, it's the first time I'll try to paint a figure, ... I've seen some videos and here I've seen formidable work with pilots and other human figures, ... I'll just try to copy as well as possible [-o< and put something on my side. It will be fun as you say.

Saludos, :thumbup:

Good work Luis-Carlos. Maybe you should check to make sure the clear parts don't rub the pilot as well.
Good advice, Andy, that I thought and I was working a little on cleaning the plastic area and the clear pieces as well.

30.jpg

The pilot is fine; ... what I see is that it will require work, dedication and patience to compliment the pieces, ... is a little complicated to manipulate.

29.1.jpg

It seems that once the fuselage is closed and attached, then the clear parts are placed. And I will have to do a good job to correct those cracks in the joints, the detail of rivets, etc.

Well, it's part of this adventure with my therapist ... :thumbup:
Saludos.

Yep.. but if I were you LC I would look for an aftermarket one to replace the kit canopy that should be cut off and removed fully. Just my humble opinion.

The link may come in handy ..

Tailhook Topics: F4U-4 Modeler's Notes
Very interesting link W :idea:, some of those photos had already gotten them on the net. I already have the address, for reference and consultation.
At the time we will see how to solve the situation of the canopy (I will look for an aftermarket, as you suggest)

Saludos y gracias :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back