CORSAIR F4U-4; 1/48, Revell

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Very nice work. I really like what you have done with the pilot, I never would have thought to use the copper wire to reposition him. Pilot figures are hard enough to come by considering most kits don't include them. Enjoying your progress.

Very nice work. I really like what you have done with the pilot, I never would have thought to use the copper wire to reposition him. Pilot figures are hard enough to come by considering most kits don't include them. Enjoying your progress.
Thanks Doom!, you'll be surprised, like me, of everything you can learn and discover. It's all a matter of putting it into practice and enjoying what you do.

Saludos desde México. :thumbup:

Luis Carlos

Luis That cockpit detail is looking fantastic !!! That pilot is going to look awesome !!!! Look forward to the cockpit and pilot painted up :)
Hello Brian, I can see and I'm enjoying your B-25J, you've also been infected by the interior detail :thumbright:.
I'm motivated with this pilot and his pit, let's move on !!

Saludos compadrito. :occasion5:

I have been reviewing images on the net regarding the rear of the Corsair and how it looks in flight.

Initially I thought of making the tailgate closed, but the original parts of the kit did not help me do a good job.
I thought I would make and use a piece of styrene sheet, but it would be an uncertain adventure ... :-k... :whiteblindfold:

There are some photos of Corsairs flying with the front landing gear retracted and the rear sluices are open, allowing to see the interior detail ... so I preferred to take advantage of the parts of the kit and work a little on making some improvements.

With jeweler's files, I started by thinning the edges of the rear tire gates ... you can see the difference, right?

31.jpg
32.jpg

Put in place, I still have to work a little inside.

33.jpg

It will be a question of studying the best way to cover those gaps and fix those gates. :sonarsmile:

The mechanics of mobility of the rear tire, will allow me to work on it and make some improvements, that make it look better ...

34.jpg
35.jpg
36.jpg

Having this ready, I will be able to apply zinc chromate to the interior, both the rear tire wall, the interior of the cabin and sides.

This is an overview of the work area of my nascent Corsair !!

37.jpg

See you around here soon. Saludos :thumbup:

Well done LC. However the kit tail wheel/hook bay doors have the incorrect hinges. Therefore you should have cut off the two square pieces of the door that are going to be the hinges.Then these should have been attached to the fuselage in order to fill the notches at the fuselage bottom side. I would say it would be easier to do that just by sticking of these doors to the fuselage halves as the closed ones. And then cut off these doors along their top edges for farther work on them eg. for making them thinner

F4U_Wheel_Doors.jpg
F4U_Wheel_Doors_.jpg

The pic source: the net...

Last edited:
I had already seen a picture further away and the open gates show the fuselage attached to that side.
The photo you share Wojtek is excellent and although I had already attached each side to its gate (I thought I could live with that separation between fuselage and gates)

38.1.jpg
38.2.jpg

... I will carefully repair it, I will cut each door in the two sections (I did not know, but thanks to your picture and diagram I can see), and unite every pair of pieces on each side of the fuselage ... the surgery begins ...

Thank you very much for all this kind of advice and recommendations, always welcome!! They make me reconsider and try to make the correction in order to do the right thing and to make a better performance in the improvements to this kit.

Gracias amigo :thumbup:

Nice catch! Good you can address it now before too much time has gone by!
That is Robert, I'm already in the "patching" of those holes where the hinges were (very rough and out of the reality), ... it would have been more complicated to do this correction later ... ( thanks again for the notice W ) :thumbright: :thumbleft:

Nice one Luis! Looks like a few modifications required for this kit...
I agree Kirby, the degree of work required will always depend on the taste of each person and the requirement to do the best job possible.
All work is respectable; The one that someone else enjoys and make comments and suggestions, is something that motivates and I am grateful. :salute:

Saludos mis amigos y colegas.

The story of my first pilot continues:

With super glue drops I fixed the pilot's final posture. Then with the Plastic Putty of Vallejo I filled all the spaces and with homemade instruments and bought, moldie to leave the minimum to file and to sand ...

38.jpg

39.jpg

After a few hours and sleeplessness, this is how the young little guy looks ... :morning:

40.jpg
41.jpg
42.jpg
43.jpg
44.jpg

I'm waiting to finish detailing the gates and interior of the wheel / hook bay, to paint zinc chromate along with the cabin.
So the pilot will wait a little.

...To be continued ... :thumbup:

Gracias Robert por el comentario halagador... :Fade-color

... returning to the progress of repairing the tail area ...

I cut the gates to separate them from the fuselage. I also cut each one according to the image that Wojtek shared.

45.jpg

Those protuberances, they have no reason to exist ... so ... out!

46.jpg
47.jpg

... with bits of styrene cut to size, I patched each of the holes ...

48.jpg

To reinforce the union from the inside, I used some green putty from Squadron Products. It is a little rough finish, but it hardens like a stone !!, then it is simple to file (in this case I will use my Dremel with a diamond powder emery to thin the area), then be able to sand it until feels smooth to detail the sides a bit.

49.jpg

On the outside, I first lowered the styrene surplus with a jeweler file and sanded it evenly with respect to the surface of the fuselage.
Then with PP of Vallejo rersané the joins and after to sand them again with sandpaper of the 3600, 4000 and 6000, I applied a little of Mr.S. 1200 to make the traces of surgery disappear as much as possible ...

50.jpg

... tomorrow I will proceed to leave the area ready to paint the interiors, ... I hope so!
So far advance, have a good night. (From this part of the world) :sleeping:

Saludos :thumbup:
Luis Carlos

I agree with all above. :thumbright:

Luis, just a tip here... if you have already decided to cut off the hinges you could use them for filling their notches at the fuselage, unless these didn't fit properly then your way for filling was fine. Having them fixed you should have applied some putty and then sanded them with these bulges there together simultaneously. It wouldn't be the double work on the fuselage and would allow you to save some of time, IMHO.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back